Need advice for ileus and the trots

Replies
Views
Jules23

Morning all. Advise please for the trots, have been awake half the night emptying my bag, just liquid. Only just made last visit to the loo must have nodded off.

Opened bag carefully but it just erupted! Also worried as I had lots of liquid coming from my backside? Is this normal? Never had it before. It may have been something I ate as trying to eat normal food now. Tummy ache bearable but really uncomfortable and bloated?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Jules

Bill

Hello jules.

It does sound as if it might be something you ate. If you are trying to get back to eating normal food, it may be best to take it one step at a time to see if there is anything particular which has a bad effect. 

From what I have read, having an ileostomy, you can expect liquid output because it does not have so far to travel in the colon, which means there is less moisture absorbed back into the body. 

Also, the liquid at the back-end might be coming out in sypathy with your stoma. I have definitely noticed that I have more anal mucus when there are problems with stomaoutput.

Best wishes 

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,495 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bagface

Jules - It would probably be a good idea to call the doc. He/she may recommend Imodium. Good luck!

NJ Bain

Jules,

This is just a guess but stomach ache, bloating, and very watery output usually point out to something you ate as Bill said. Probably some roughage like fruits, vegetables, or nuts. Peanuts and popcorn give me the symptoms you're describing if I don't chew them up well enough. When it happens, I have brown-tinted watery output along with a stomach ache. Stomach flu or food poisoning can do this too and would explain having more than usual output from your backside.

When you eat these foods, it acts kind of like natural fiber and the food backs up inside your intestine. Think of it like a pastry piping bag. If you have a chunk of hardened icing that is too big for the spout, it doesn't flow properly.

This chart will show you the obstructive foods as well as what other foods do to your body. If you want to thicken your output, marshmallows, crackers, and pretzels will help. And if you have watery output, be sure to stay hydrated. Gatorade or the equivalent sports drink or Pedialyte for adults will help out with dehydration. Hope this helps.

Bain

warrior

Jules..remember this is an adjustment period for your body. Your ilio is 3 months old. I recall going through some adjustments my first year.

Watch what you eat. Call your doctor. Be patient. Have little snacks instead of big meals. Pace yourself. Keep us posted.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jules23

Thank you all, I have no idea what started this off as I'm still not eating fruit, vegetables, or high-fiber foods. It's not like the usual trots, no windy sharp pains.

It's more like cramps and my tummy feels like a football, not very flattering, ha ha. I have taken your tips on board and I'm trying them out. I feel like an elephant today, 2 steps forward, 3 steps back.

I'm glad it happened overnight, that was a godsend. I dread to think what would have happened if I was at work... I feel a bit better than I did, hoping the worst has passed.

Anyone on here ride? Horses, I mean. I'm not kinky! I just wondered how long I would have to wait before I could get going again. It's been a long time...

Well, the first week back at work has gone OK. I must admit, I am knackered though by 5pm. Roll on the new year.

Thanks again, everyone. You are troopers x

lovely

Hi Jules23, I have a colostomy but I do have a lot of mucus through the rectum. This is what I found online. It is normal for ostomates who still have their rectum in place to experience rectal discharge and to pass clear or putty-colored mucus from their anus. Even though motions now pass out through the stoma, the rectum continues to produce the mucus that was previously used as a lubricant to assist the passage of food and waste. Hope this helps.

warrior

Jules...your question about riding horses could be better answered by a horse-owning ostomate. I counted two of them by way of member pictures posted. If you need their handles to contact them, I will get them for you. All that bouncing surely will wake up your insides. I guess keeping the pouch close to your body would also help. Giddy up. Glad it seems the worst has passed for you. Warrior

lovely

Here is a site I found on mucus output. It has a lot of information on it. http://www.colostomyuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/CUK021-05v00r00-Rectal-Discharge.pdf

ileona12

Hi Jules 23

I had my colon and rectum removed over 20 years ago and have no problems with most food. The advice of drinking plenty of fluids is correct and chew your food well. I empty my bag frequently and some of the time it is very liquid but definitely not painful as it was when I still had my colon. You have to work out by trial and error what creates gas and lots of bubbles in your output. Starving yourself would do harm, I think, to your gut. I would think so if you have anorexic problems, you need to deal with the stress and depression because that will cause you more harm than the foods you're eating.

Ileona12

Puppyluv56

Hi Jules,

I guess riding a horse would depend on what type of riding you do. If you are out there doing pole bending and barrel racing, you might want to wait a while to gather your strength and let all the inside to heal a bit more! If you just ride western for pleasure for short periods of time, you probably are not far away from doing that. I owned a horse for a long time but unlike my sister, I rode for pleasure not show. She was NH State Champion. She since has moved to Colorado and moved her horse farm there. Not having the rectum in place for me, I can never ride again. I have heard of people busting open their "Barbie Butts". Can't have that!
I certainly would double check the timing with your surgeon.
Puppyluv