Thoughts on Phoenix Mag subscription?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Well........I see we have a new advertiser on here, so it begs the question...........has anybody subscribed to Phoenix Magazine.........and is it worth the substantial asking price? Don't recall ever looking through a sample copy, so I have no clue. Looking forward to what you folks have to say.

Thanks,

Bob

Past Member

Hi Bob,

I've never heard of it either.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,598 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

I don't read very much except on the computer.

w30bob

Hi Mountain,

I have heard of them... I think I found them online right after I got my ostomy. I wanted to see a sample copy to see if it was worth the price... and then I forgot about them until now.

Regards,

Bob

Angelicamarie

W30bob, I'm a subscriber of the Phoenix magazine. It's info about ostomy news and products. Sometimes there are doctors answering questions on issues that pertain to all ostomates. They talk about watery output, blockages, sideways stomas, and incision healing. I would say there's good information listed in the magazine. Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Angelicamarie

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
NancyAnn

Yes, it is worth it. They have amazing articles and good advice from doctors, nurses, and ads from different companies.

PETey.13

I get mine free at the local support meeting. I subscribed for a year and found the magazine informative. However, I thought it was a bit too expensive and most of the information was just not pertinent to my situation. Here is the table of contents from the winter 2019 issue.

w30bob

Nancy.........Thank you!

PETey........Maybe that's where I heard about it, at the one ostomy group meeting I attended right after getting my frontbutt. I just remember thinking it was pretty expensive.........but we are a specialized market, no?

Is it monthly or 4 times a year?

Thanks,

Bob

PETey.13

4x per year.

PETey.13

Phoenix Magazine Winter 2019. The 78-page, full-color magazine includes 35 ads, most of which are full-page. There is a double-page ad from Hollister. One article describes where ostomates can obtain free or low-cost supplies. Sources mentioned include: Ostomy Association of Greater Orlando, Kindred Box, Ostomy Diaries, and Osto Group. Also mentioned are various Facebook groups, eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, and "cash pay" companies. One ad is from Osto Group. Another ad is from Friends of Ostomates Worldwide USA, another distributor of free ostomy supplies. Distributors of free supplies rely on donated supplies from hospitals, UOAA support groups, individuals, pharmacies, and medical supply companies.

britathrt60

Never heard of it...sounds interesting though.

paulaAZ

I have subscribed to it in the past and have thought about subscribing again just to keep up on the new innovations, etc. I found it extremely helpful in many aspects and as mentioned before, there are question/answer areas that tend to be helpful. But you are correct, a little pricey for sure!

Paula

Baw

Hi, like a dummy, I guess I did subscribe. No magazine yet.

Baw

Oops! Let out a comma after guess.
Hi, like a dummy, I guess I did subscribe. No magazine yet.

gary S.

I have subscribed to the magazine as long as I can remember. It's very worthwhile and a great asset to the ostomy community. It's a bit expensive but a better investment than buying an extra latte.

Br37

I had a subscription to this magazine. I did not receive all three issues that I was supposed to get. I let the subscription lapse. I got a notice just recently to subscribe again, but I threw the envelope in the garbage.

britathrt60

Hi BR37.

Well, that sucks you didn't get all the magazines.

Br37

I was supposed to get four issues for the year. I only got two. I emailed them and I never got a response. I should have tried to contact them again but I forgot all about it. That is my fault. The magazine has loads of advertising in it. The subscription price is too high for just four magazines.  

MOST52

I subscribe to the digital version of Phoenix Magazine. Four issues per year for $19.95. I think it's a great resource and worth the money.

PETey.13

The magazine's price is high because so few are printed. The postal disclosure statement on page 70 states that the total print run for Summer 2019 was only 6109. Paid subscription was 5898. The cardinal rule for magazines is that the advertising must pay for the entire cost of the magazine. But there are still other costs such as overhead and profit. Thus, the large number of ads...I forgot to mention that Parthenon purchased the centerfold double-page ad. Yes, lots of good educational material. But I feel a lot of similar information is already available online, especially on YouTube.

lovely

I think you are probably right about subscriptions being down so low because of information online. You can find so many answers online.

w30bob

So, if everyone switches to a digital subscription, it should cost much less! Nancy was nice enough to be sending me some back issues. After I get them, I'd be more than willing to send them on to anyone else who would want to see them, assuming Nancy doesn't mind, and you send them back to her when you're done looking at them. I like the idea of a digital version. I'm not one for digital reading, but I've got way too many paper magazines around here already. So, digital would make sense. I'll let you know what I think of the mag as soon as I get them.

Thanks all,

Bob

kray

It is a wonderful magazine with a lot of great inspiring articles from ostomates and nurses, etc. You would not be disappointed!

w30bob

Hi Kray,

I'm looking forward to reading them, and they're on the way. But don't be so sure about me not being disappointed... I'm pretty hard to please (or so I'm told). I'll give everyone my honest opinion of the mag, no matter what.

Thanks,

Bob

Urostomate

The Phoenix is an excellent magazine, published quarterly. Articles by Dr. Beck, various WOCNs, patients, happenings in the United Ostomy Assn. of America and in addition, there is a listing of support groups throughout the country that you can check out in the event that you have a need for some ostomy-related help.

Nicholoffs

Never heard of it...

NancyAnn

Hi Bob,

You can send them on to whoever you want but I don't need them back. Hope you enjoy them.

Nancy

61smiles

Hi, I have to tell you that the Phoenix will be the best aide you'll have. It is packed full of valuable information from doctors, nurses, and fellow ostomates. My only complaint is that it's only published 4 times a year (per season). I've been getting it for 10 years and never throw away an issue. I might need information in the future that may have been covered.

61 smiles