How long to wear Hollister 18194 and 14604?

Replies
Views
Oscar56

My name is Oscar. I had surgery on 2/21/2020 to remove my sigmoid colon due to diverticulitis. I'm now learning how to cope with these changes. So far, I'm tackling changing my appliance and bathing. I'm using Hollister 18194 pouch, 14604 skin barrier, and 7805 ring.
My questions: How long can I wear the 14604 barrier before changing it? How many days can I wear the 18194 pouch before replacing it with a new one?

xnine

14604 should last a few days. I use a 14307 and often get 10 days. If you start to smell something, it is time to change. There is the start of a leak. If you feel any discomfort again, this may be the start of a leak, time to change. 18194 I do not know. I use a closed system. It would depend on how many times you take it off and on. This wears on the seal. I do not use a schedule, just change when required.

Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,506 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Oscar56

Thanks xnine. I just replaced all parts on the evening of 2/26 when I arrived home from the hospital. Today, this Saturday morning, only 2-1/2 days later, I'm detecting a smell. I think it's the bag only as it shows some wear and tear. I've been adding water to the bag before I discharge it in the lieu. I'll do it 2-3 times to "rinse" it out. What do you think about this?

Past Member

Hi Oscar! These are such complicated questions! I am sure you heard "everybody's different" at the hospital until you were sick and tired of hearing it. Well, it really is true. So if 10 different people respond to this, you might get 10 diametrically opposed answers. It's always helpful to get some thoughts from someone who uses the same pouching system, like xnine, but because your body is unique, it will take you a while to settle in to what works for you. And although that sounds daunting and perhaps frightening, you will eventually get into a rhythm, and you will be posting advice for someone else before too long. There are so many variables here, including: do you have a colostomy or ileostomy? What meds are you taking? What is your fluid/fiber/alcohol intake? And the fact that your stoma is new. It will change over time. Might be a good idea for you to look up some old forum topics to see if there is wisdom for you. I will address one of your queries, the one about rinsing your pouch. I have done that in the past, but I don't do it much anymore. I find that I prefer to put some olive oil in my pouch before I stick it on the flange because it makes the inside of the pouch slippery, and I find that rinsing it with water defeats that plan. I also have had some disasters while rinsing that make me want to avoid it. However, you must find what works best for you. I seriously recommend that you look through old forum topics. You never know what you might learn from the many seasoned veterans on this site. Good luck, Oscar. We are here if you need us.

britathrt60

Hi Oscar

I have ileostomy, so I have mostly liquid output... not a fan of rinsing bag with water... I tried that and it definitely lessened the usage time... try using M9 drops in the bag, they keep the odor down...

Best wishes moving forward... there are a lot of great people on this site with various ostomies... you can ask questions or just vent... we are all here for you.

Ange

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lovely

Hi Oscar, like a lot of others have already said, it depends on a lot of different things, like what kind of output you have and how often. Hollister has a couple of deodorants you can use in your bag. I do rinse my bag each time I empty, and I use a few drops of baby oil to help it slide down the bag.

Oscar56

Thank you, Lovely. Baby oil sounds like a great idea.  

xnine

I only use a drainable bag when I am due for an exam. I just open the bottom and let it go. Do you put the water in the top or bottom? I get a smell when the flange starts to lift. It is not really leaking but on the verge.

Oscar56

Hi xnine, after the very first "evac" of my pouch, I learned the output did not "flow" smoothly out. And if left residue at the end closure. I decided to use water and pour it into from the bottom and "rinse" the bag. And that's how I've been doing it here at home.  

Puppyluv56

Hey,

When I wore a drainable pouch, I too added water to help drain and clean the pouch and still would get a minimum of ten days from them. I had a filter on the pouches and they do not work once they get wet so I would use the little tapes they provide to cover the filter for showers and then once it stopped working, to keep the smell from coming out.
I use a two-piece though, so I was able to burp easily when just gas is in there. All skin is different and some adhesive barriers disagree with some skin types. You have to find what works best for you. Contact the three or four major pouch makers for samples of different things. They will send you a catalog or go on their websites. I have found less is best and use nothing extra on my skin. No rings or paste or adhesive wipes. I have tried them all but found no benefit. My skin seems to be good without it. You will have to experiment on days you know you don't have to go anywhere! It will take time to find what works best for you! You will evolve to the perfect pouch.
Good luck,

Puppyluv

lovely

Hey Puppyluv, I just read your post and it lists the time you posted as Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:17 am. I don't understand this since you are just down the road from me. Maybe you are traveling?

Puppyluv56

Must be a glitch in the post. I am home and on your time, and definitely not up at 2:42 in the AM! Lol. It is now 9:42 on Sunday the 1st! That is weird!

Pup

Homie With A Stomie NS

According to my ostomy nurse and suppliers, maximum 7 days.... I get 7 days with my ring and pouch. Upon removal, the ring is still in pretty good shape but definitely shows signs of breaking down...