Mucocutaneous Separation After Ileostomy Revision: Seeking Advice and Experiences

Replies
Views
newnormal

Hello out there. So, I just had another ileostomy revision about a month ago, it seems that my body keeps trying to close the hole in my abdomen. Yikes! This time it isn't healing as well and the skin is separating from the stoma. As the stomal swelling goes down, the separation gets bigger. I am told it will heal, and I am just trying to keep it from getting infected at this point. I am going to try infrared light, and I am taking extra collagen, C, and flavonoids, as well as upping my protein intake. I use a silver gel on the wound after thoroughly cleaning it, and I am using "crusting" powder and barrier as well as using paste. I am changing my appliance every 1-2 days. So far, so good, but it is slow going. Has anyone had experience with this, and what did you do?

Lily17

Hi, new

Wow...I can't imagine what you're going through, and I am so sorry to hear that you are. :(

A few questions, please: From what I can tell, my surgeon may have used titanium capillary clips and/or sutures to secure the abdominal wall and end of the ileum/stoma while it healed. Any idea what technique your surgeon employed to accomplish this in your latest surgery? Did the same surgeon do all of your procedures? Who informed you that "it will heal..." with time - your surgeon? WOCN?

That you're seeing healing - even if slow - is promising!

Lily17

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

newnormal

Hey Lily17,

My surgeon used sutures. She is the same surgeon who did my other revision and that one healed just fine. When I had my ileostomy created, by a different surgeon, there were more problems with healing but that was because I was severely malnourished from Crohn's and on high dose steroids at the time. This time both the surgeon and the WOCN think it will heal, but I need to keep a close eye on it. I just got back from seeing the WOCN today and she set me up with an alginate dressing with silver and Duoderm over that. I will go back to the clinic in about 10 days for a follow-up, sooner if needed. She told me that because I have Crohn's the healing will be slower, and the Crohn's meds also slow healing. I am so glad I went to the clinic before the weekend! I am praying that the wound dressing will help, and I picked up some dark chocolate, high in flavonoids, with hemp protein on the way home :-)

Lily17

Hi, New

I wish there was something I could add besides making sure your diet is as skin-friendly as possible. Have you thought about adding a nutritional supplement beverage (like Ensure) to your diet?

It sounds like you and your medical team have a bit of an uphill battle considering the part Crohn's is playing in your recovery. You, your surgeon, and WOCN have it pretty much dialed in, as far as working to get your separation healed, and I'm glad you're exploring your options to support the healing process.

If anything, that dark chocolate may lift your spirits! :)

Be well, and do your best to make it an amazing weekend!

Lily17

newnormal

Thank you Lily17! Yes, dark chocolate always cheers me up ;-)

I make nutritional supplement shakes 2-3 times a day, the concoction is tweaked depending on my current needs. Sometimes it's the only thing I can "eat", and it actually tastes good :-) I rely mostly on Metagenics if I can get it. Way back I tried Ensure but the sugar content was so high it caused other problems for me, but I know it can be good in a pinch.

I hope you have an amazing weekend too!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
lovely

Sorry, you are having so much trouble. I can't add anything more than what Lily17 has said. Just want you to know I am pulling for you. Please keep us informed on how you do it. It could help some others in the future. Best wishes and stay safe.

newnormal

Thanks, lovely! I will keep y'all informed. I hope it will be helpful. I have learned a lot from reading about other people's experiences.