Managing an ileostomy on a boat?

Replies
Views
outdoorhappy

Though I have had an ileostomy for over thirty years, I am new to this venue. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to manage emptying your pouch while out in a boat, probably far from shore? Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseam, but like I mentioned, I am a newbie on this site. Thanking in advance, dd

w30bob

Hi outdoorhappy,

Ya know...........I've wondered the same thing. Obviously not a problem if it's your boat.......or if it's just you and your partner........but what to do if there are other people onboard. The "man overboard" thing; where you empty; your bag when in the water will get old fast. I assume you're talking about being on a small boat (that doesn't have a head (bathroom)) with other strangers. If you chew tobacco I guess you could use your spit bottle as a urinal.........but who chews anymore? I'm guessing the only way around this is either use a 2-piece barrier/bag and swap bags when full (assuming you can find a place to do this unseen). Then put the full bag in a well-sealed ZipLock bag or such in your napsack, or whatever you carry on. If your output is really liquidy that may be a bit tough to pull off. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about this one, as I've avoided going on small boats without a bathroom since I got my ostomy for this very reason.

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,486 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Outdoor, when my brother and I would go fishing in our little 14ft. boat, I always brought along a coffee can with the plastic lid with a roll of TP in it until I had to use it. I would just dump my bag into the can and clean up the pouch, then put the dirty tissue in the can and I'm good to go. I also do that when deer hunting and sitting in my deer blind.

lovely

Hi outdoorhappy, welcome to this site. Ron in Mich had a good idea, but like Bob said, it depends on what kind of boat and how many people. I don't go boating, but I always carry enough supplies for a complete change if needed. I would suggest instead of trying to empty the bag, just take it off, put it in the can, and put a new bag on. I would imagine it would be hard to empty the bag with the motion of a boat. There is also a chance of getting it on your clothes while trying to empty it. Best wishes and stay safe.

Bill

Hello and welcome outdoorhappy.

Thanks for a very pertinent question which, although not relevant to me (as I irrigate), got me thinking about what I might do in that situation.

As other people have said, I suppose it depends on many different factors. I presume that we are talking about boats without toilet facilities on board. The only time I was out on such a boat was with my brother, who had a catamaran that he/we used to go fishing on in NZ.  The water was always warm and he was well-aware of my condition so, if the need arose, I would probably have done a similar thing to that which I would have done trecking in the bush. I would have owned up to the predicament, excused myself, and disappeared for a swim for as long as it took. (In the bush I would have simply 'dived' into the undergrowth!) However, if there was anyway of changing or storing the waste until I returned home, then that would have been my preferred option. 

Best wishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Hey,

I have not been out on a boat since my surgery. And I live at the lake! Lol I wear a two-piece closed-end pouch, so like Bob said, it's easy and fast to change. Just be downwind from anyone on the boat! Lol The coffee can Ron mentioned is the perfect thing to discard all of the evidence. I do have black double-seal baggies that I carry and only use while out if needed. I would not want someone freaking out when they empty their trash! Lol You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap for 100.
pup

outdoorhappy

I appreciate all of your responses and your welcomes to this venue. Some helpful information, although I don't think I could bring a coffee can to the Yucatan, and that is where I am going to be trying my hand at fly fishing for the first time! I have never tried a two-piece appliance, but I was thinking that might be a good option - and just throw away the used pouch instead of trying to empty it. Thanks again! And keep the suggestions coming if anyone has any other ideas.

Puppyluv56

Well, that does change things up a bit. If it's a commercial boat, there is usually a bathroom that they prefer you only pee in. No problem there. Seems like the black zip bags and a two-piece are going to be your best option. Good luck and keep us posted.

Puppyluv

outdoorhappy

As I said previously, I have only used one-piece appliances. Any recommendations for a two-piece appliance? Thanks.

Old Bud

I use a 2-piece and go boating every day that I can in summer. The coffee can is similar to what I do. Some type of container with a snap lid. I use a butter container. Takes me less than a minute. As I drive the boat, I can kind of hide behind the steering column. If I don't announce it, no one even notices. I also try not to eat as much when I go out, although I like to have a beer. I can't wait till summer and we can get back at er! Good luck and stay safe on the water.

Earth Angel

Hello,

I have been wondering what to do on a boat as well! Let me know if you come up with any ideas! There's no reason we should avoid things we love to do. Good luck in your search!

vollovr

I love to go out fishing on the lake in our bass boat. I bought a little portable potty at the marine store which sits on the floor of the boat. It's just like a regular toilet seat. You put a chemical liquid in the bowl that makes it easy to empty and keeps it clean. Sometimes I use it with the boat in motion going slow and have no problems, but most of the time we go to a secluded cove. If we are with other people, I just have one of them hold up a towel in front of me for privacy. I have also pulled up to the shore and used the woods. I also just go back to the marina where there are bathrooms. Where there is a will, there is always a way.

Mark1070

Many small to midsize boaters here on the Chesapeake use a Thetford Porta Potty. They work great but do require privacy (or to be quite familiar with the other boaters onboard). As an alternative, for day hikes and/or kayaking, I throw my mobile kit in my backpack. The kit includes a tall lockable food storage container (locks on all four sides with a rubber seal), freezer bags for the effluent, ostomy supplies, hand wipes, TP, trowel, etc... Everything fits in the container so it's easy to grab and use behind a tree or even in the kayak.

Deziner

Did quite a bit of boating. I would time what I eat and when it reaches my appliance. You'd eat so your output is timed after you're no longer on the boat. Used to do this also for waterskiing and when dating. Best you don't eat anything to "wake up" your digestive system, unless you're getting off the boat within 30 minutes (guessing) and close to a bathroom.

Deziner

What great advice! I'll do this when a bathroom isn't available. I would also time my eating so the output happens after the activity like dating, swimming.  
Thanks for posting.  
Sharon

outdoorhappy

Thanks to all! Useful information.

dd

Deziner

Dear Vollover nbsp

Had no idea about this type of porta-potty. This is an answer to many different situations. When a teenager, I had my first ostomy. The appliances then were bulky (bags). The bags themselves were of a heavy rubber-type and not disposable. I had two where wearing one the other being disinfected. It was very bulky and nearly impossible to carry another bag (pouch) if it may leak which happened often. When that happened, I usually had to head home or find a private spot to maybe repaste the faceplate if no feces were present. It was a horrible situation. nbsp
16 years later had my ileostomy transformed into a Koch pouch where I use a catheter inserted through my very small stoma. This type of ostomy usually stops working; but with mine it's lasted over 40 years!

Now, I've had pouchitis with some ulcers. It's been very painful. I'm scheduled to have surgery in July to return to wearing an outside appliance. Products have changed a lot. Think I'll accept new equipment due to the new designs.
I like the idea of being able to discard the pouch. I call this a disposable system. This is wonderful especially when there's no toilet available nbsp
Thanks for your "method." I'm very grateful for your sharing nbsp

Deziner (Sharon in CA)

Immarsh

Hi all, I have had my ileostomy for over 55 years, since I was a teen of 15. After 4 years of hospitals and surgery, I was anxious to get back to real life, and having an ostomy made it possible for that to happen. Back in the day, disposable pouches were made of plastic and cardboard and didn't hold up well. We washed and reused both plastic wafers and rubber pouches. Yet, that never stopped me from figuring out what I needed to do what I wanted to do. I hiked, went boating and swimming, and used the coffee can method. That worked well. Plastic bags stuffed with paper towels also worked well. The towels absorbed the extra fluid. I always traveled with a "beach bag" and additional plastic bags. If I was in the woods, I dug a hole and emptied right into that. For peeing, women have a bit of a disadvantage. I traveled for about 7 years in a single-engine plane that had a range of about 3-5 hours before needing to refuel. My friend the pilot had it easy. He went to the back of the plane and peed in a bottle. I held in the pee but restricted eating until we were about an hour from a gas stop. Only once did we have to make an emergency landing on a grass landing strip in the middle of fields for me to use a restroom. It's always worked out. As for two-piece appliances, there are quite a few to choose from. I use the Convatec two-piece system, and all you need to do is snap off the old pouch and snap on the new one (although a few drops of water are needed to have the two pieces snap together). I've done that on occasion as well. Best of luck to all. Think "easy" out of the box. Bring along some diapers to empty the pouch, absorb the fluids, and pop into a plastic bag. That's also easy to dispose of.

vollovr

Hi Deziner,

Glad I could help. I have worn a Convatec Durahesive 2-piece for 25 years, so I just empty the contents instead of discarding the pouch. It's very easy. I carry tissue and Hollister M-9 deodorant drops (4 drops into the pouch after emptying, which by the way is the ONLY deodorant on the market that REALLY works). I have read many times about folks like you that have had major problems with the Koch pouch, so I think you will be much healthier, happier, and way more comfortable with an exterior ileostomy. I wish you all the best... Hang in there, it will get better! Rhonda