Broken arm

Replies
Views
Poppy Red
Mar 15, 2021 4:23 pm

Well, I broke my arm a week ago. It's in a plaster cast. Anyone else had to manage an ileostomy with one hand? I am getting by okay. I change it instead of draining. I make too much mess if I drain and only get half the contents out. Having it pinned tomorrow, so it will be in a cast for another 6 weeks. Any hints and tips welcome.

Puppyluv56
Mar 15, 2021 7:38 pm

Wow, that is tough. I did have my left wrist in a splint for quite some time this last year but it was just due to De Quervain's Tenosynovitis. Not fun but it was luckily my left arm. I irrigate and if needed just change my closed-in pouch so that does make it less messy. I think you got this. Not a whole lot more to do unless someone can help you. I could never let anyone help me! Stubborn as I am. Not sure my hubby would want to either! Lol

Good luck,

Hope the time passes quickly and you are back to using both hands soon!
Puppluv

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 34,038 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Mar 15, 2021 7:51 pm

Ouch! I haven't had it as bad as you. I had surgery on my hand a few years ago for tendon repair and bone infection. My hand was strapped up, so I couldn't use it for a few months. Being my right hand caused a few problems at first. I did manage quite well just using my left hand after some practice. I found putting the base plate on the hardest part to do. I can't remember the make of bags I was using now, but instead of having a locking ring, they had adhesive on, so it was easier to just stick onto the base plate instead of fighting to get a locking ring on.

Good luck with surgery.

w30bob
Mar 15, 2021 11:50 pm

Hi Poppy,

Like Panther, I've had to do it with one hand... not because my other hand was immobilized, just to see if I could do it. But after a few tries, you'll find it can be done. Emptying my bag was conquered pretty quickly. Changing my barrier was a bit trickier, as I have to cut my hole size with scissors. It took me a bit of time to figure out how to hold the barrier still to cut the hole... but you'll be amazed at what you can do with a wood clamp when you have to!

Best of luck to you... you'll be a one-handed expert when you're all healed up!!!

Regards,

Bob

Lily17
Mar 16, 2021 12:11 am

Hi, Poppy.

I've wondered how I would deal with being in a situation like yours - ostomy appliance change-outs, one-handed! Oh, my... I don't envy you.

Contact your WOCN: as you can see, you can't be the only person who's been in your situation. Along with other MAO members, your WOCN may have some great tips for you!

Best of luck to you - and patience! :)

Lily17

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Puppyluv56
Mar 16, 2021 1:02 am

I remember when I was having surgery on my right shoulder! I have always said I was VERY right-handed and my left was just a useless appendage. This was prior to my Ostomy, so I was still pooping normally. That presents a huge problem because I had never even tried to wipe with my left hand. Well, I practiced for weeks before the surgery and before I actually needed it, my left hand became useful and I did fine. You can do anything you set your mind to!

Pup

MarVee
Mar 16, 2021 12:32 pm

Sorry to hear about your recent dilemma, but it sounds like you are dealing with it as best as can be expected. Keep your chin up and come to this site often for support. You will be back on top in no time.

Past Member
Mar 17, 2021 12:50 am

Hi Bob, 

Is there nothing you can't do? You always keep our spirits up!

I had my left arm in a cast about 45 years ago and anything to do with being one-armed and going to the bathroom is very hard. I could not imagine it now with my ostomy. 

All I can say is to do your best at it. Each day someone makes me feel very thankful, and thankful for everyone on this site who shares their experiences with the rest of us. Thank you. 

....mountain. 

w30bob
Mar 17, 2021 2:01 am

Hi Mtnman,

Some famous person said "Necessity is the mother of invention."   So rather than wait until it was necessary........I decided to give it a try before I actually needed to.   I tore my right bicep tendon a few years before I got my ostomy, and learned first hand that you don't want to wait until something actually happens to find out you're screwed.   Just for shits and grins.........try putting your pants on with the other leg first....and same for your shirt with your other arm first.   It is amazing what we take for granted.   The first time I tried putting my underwear on with one hand, I ended up on my ass with the dog giving me that "duh" look on his face.   I'd like to see her try to put underwear on........even with all 4 paws!

Cheers,

Bob

Immarsh
Mar 22, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi, the cast must make changing very awkward. I was on chemo years ago (for hep C) and during the year of treatment, both my left hand and right hand developed numbness. The doctor wasn't sure if it was due to neuropathy or carpal tunnel. But I had to wait the year until I finished with the medication. So that time was really a challenge, since I was missing some "fine finger coordination"... and yes, I lived alone and had no help. When I finished treatment (which didn't work), my left hand improved, but my right one got worse. And so I had carpal tunnel surgery. Even though I'd spent nearly a year with floppy fingers (awkward), I wasn't prepared to have my hand bandaged. But the doctor managed to leave a few fingers free, so I could use them somewhat. Challenging time!! We never really know what we can do until we're put in the position. I found that preparing everything in advance was a big help. Best of luck to you.

Poppy Red
Mar 23, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, sorry I didn't reply again earlier.

My operation went well, I woke up pain-free, but the numbness wore off later and the pain kicked in. I have a dressing and sling on, not a plaster. I did have help a couple of times from the nurses putting on a fresh pouch. I came home on Friday and am not in much pain now and can use my left hand better than before the operation, so I am able to drain, although it's a bit messy. I didn't drain in the hospital, I just changed it. My output was less because I didn't feel up to eating a lot. So now I just have to take my time while my arm heals. There is so much gardening I want to do. So all in all, managing the ileostomy with a broken arm has been possible because I have been able to use the hand. A few years ago, I broke my leg and managed okay. Hopefully no more broken bones for me!