Why choose non-moldable flange?

Replies
Views
goddi11891

Greetings,

I am new to this and am using the ConvaTec 'moldable' flange (2-piece). 'Moldable' seems the easiest and safest type of flange. You don't have to cut the opening and the moldable stuff can be pushed up tight to your stoma. I have not tried the cut-to-fit yet. So I am wondering why would anyone not use the 'moldable' type. Just wondering what I am missing.

Thanks...

Gary

w30bob

Hi Gary,

Well... a couple of reasons. From what I've heard (I haven't tried the Convatec moldable)... the moldable doesn't last as long as a cut-to-fit and a barrier ring. Also, the Convatec is rather thick in the non-bandage portion, which makes the barrier stick out further from your skin... making it more noticeable under your shirt. It's all about personal preference and using what you're comfortable with... and I tend to follow the "if it ain't broke... don't fix it" mindset. But it is interesting, and if it works for you... stick with it!

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,503 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

True that from Bob. Also, a cut to fit means... well.. some stomas aren't round so you may need to cut it oval like.. it gets out of round over the years. I used that same setup you are using, Gary. It was ok for a while but the leaks were impossible to solve. I switched to the Mio Sensura Flip and leakage problem solved. It is a smart wafer. Really hugs the area much better as an appliance. I still use a barrier ring.

Welcome! Warrior

ron in mich

Hi all, I tried the moldable for my ileo and had nothing but leaks. I tried using it with rings, paste, and by itself, but it didn't work. So, I went back to the 2pc. Convatec system.

Past Member

I was at the launch event in the UK a few years back for ConvaTec Mouldable, or as their slogan went, "Mouldable: the way to go." I fell in love with them at first sight. The seal around my stoma was the best seal I've ever had in over 30 years of having an ostomy. They just didn't stick to me very well, so I didn't use them for long. That's just how it goes; not everything works for all of us. They're good quality, and I know others that have no problems with them. I highly recommend to anyone that hasn't tried them to give them a try if they can get free samples.

I'm just surprised no other company has come out with their own version of mouldable. I've been waiting for years now for someone else to make them so I can see if they will stick to my skin better.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
goddi11891

Interesting. I have not had any leaks so far with the ConvaTec moldable flange. But only 7 pouches so far. Seems to be working just fine. I had cut a cut-to-fit type flange and the jagged edges got me worried. The moldable ones turtle-neck around the stoma after it's on. You can push the moldable stuff right up to the stoma so it seems that would be the best fit. And for different stoma shapes. Yeah, the two-piece does tend to stick out a bit but, so far, I like the two-piece so far.

Gary

iMacG5

Hi Gary.  I've used the Convatec stuff from day one and haven't had any problems.  I think the length and shape of the stoma might dictate what appliance to use.  If the stoma is long enought to allow the stuff to dump into the pouch without any pancaking or other problems caused by a recessed stoma, the moldable appliance seems perfect.  It actually "turtle necks" itself to really protect the surrounding skin.  It will conform to a round, oval or any shaped stoma.

Respectfully,

Mike

BruceFan

I believe the moldable is on a base plate, part of a 2-piece system. I tried the 2-piece system in the beginning. I had too many leaks. I started out of the gate with Convatec products from the hospital. Went through all the samples I got from other companies including the 2-piece systems. As a female, I felt the flange system did not move with me as I would like it to. It felt very restrictive. I also thought it was too bulky under my clothing. I went back to the 1 pc and use a convex pouch with a barrier ring. Has worked great for almost 6 years now! It's all trial and error, and an individual choice. In theory, the moldable does sound like a great solution.