Cavilon Skin Protectant: Hole Size for Stoma & Spray Application

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hey guys,

Was going to just put this in my current Red Weepy skin post..........but decided to break it out for max visibility. For those who use the Cavilon sheets (Henry, I saw your post saying you do), I'm wondering how big of a hole do you cut in the sheet for your stoma? Meaning, do you cut the hole as small as possible to hug your stoma, in which case the ring (if you use one) sits on top of the Cavilon film.......or do you cut the hole bigger, so the ring sits on stomal skin? Maybe it doesn't matter.....I guess what I'm asking is, does the Cavilon sheet stick well to the moist skin on the base and shaft of your stoma.....or should I let the ring do its thing there?

With the spray, this might not matter as much, but I did order the spray as well.........should be here next week. So let me expand the question to the spray as well......do you spray up to the base of the stoma, or do you leave the area where the ring contacts the base of the stoma unsprayed?

Thanks,

Bob

HenryM

I use the No Sting Wipes.  They come in a q-tip like applicator or a small square sponge-like wipe (which i prefer for ease of use).  I simply wipe it around my stoma after I've cleaned the area.  It protects from any leakage breaking down the skin.  Then I toss it.  It is NOT left around the stoma.  I prefer these to a protectant spray as they're easier to control and simple to apply.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Henry!

Yeah, I hear ya.   My box of "No Sting Barrier Film" came today.   I was thinking "film" meant a plastic sheet, like Saran Wrap......but it's just a little square squishy thing (I haven't opened one up yet). But watching the video I see that by "film" they meant liquid film...and I now have the same wipes that you do.   Simple enough.......will try one tomorrow.   Thanks for the reply!!

Bob

Axl

Hi Bob, with the spray, it's impossible to be precise. I just try to aim at the join around the stoma to skin and you will get everything, just leave it on the stoma as the mucus will release it from the stoma and will stick to the skin in seconds, remember less is more two max and put the cap on or it will block the spray hole, practice on the back of your hand to get a feel for it.

xnine

The little packets have a bit of liquid at the bottom which I just pour around the stoma. The wipes dry quickly.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
bays6513

Hello

They are awesome. I use them as well.

One tip that works for me is stoma powder first, then use wipe-on powder, and it forms protection. Especially when my skin around the stoma is not happy.

It helps save my skin around the stoma. Also, note that I sometimes have to change my pouch/bag two times a day.

Hope it helps you, Bob, and gives you some relief!

B

w30bob

Hey gang,

First, thanks for all the info and support... you guys are great! I used the Cavilon liquid this morning... all went well... so we'll see what we get at my next barrier change on Tuesday. The Flonase really knocked the snot out of my red weepy skin... leading me to believe I have a skin allergy to the Hollister bandage material. It's funny because I used Flonase for the longest time a while back, and it kept my skin in good condition. Then for some reason I stopped and used other things. So it seems I've come full circle, and am back where I started. But I am going to try to switch to Coloplast products if I can get them to work for me.

Oh, one thing... as a few of you have questioned... I was thinking that the Cavilon I ordered was in fact thin sheets or membranes, like the big ostomy suppliers sell... that basically cover the troubled skin and physically are a barrier. I think Hollister calls it Hollihesive or something, but it's what I would call a "film". So when I saw the Cavilon called what I ordered a "film"... I assumed it was a sheet, or sheets. It's not. It's simply a small square foam sponge that's drenched with the Cavilon liquid... and you just wipe it on and toss the sponge. So sorry if I misled anyone into thinking it came in sheets or membranes. My bad. Ok, on to my next post!

Yeee-haaaa!

Bob

Deziner

Promise.... this is my last note.
On Amazon (I know you don't like them), I found a great product that is simple and probably does the job.
Lightweight Ostomy Belt Portable Belly Band Length Adjustable Strap

Good question regarding Cavilon sheets. I'll check back when you get the answer.
Good night.

iMacG5

Hi, again, Bob.  I use the Cavilon wipes and feel very strongly that any unprotected skin will get damaged.  So I wipe the stuff right up to the stoma.  It protects the skin from any discharge.  I have also applied it to the entire area covered by the wafer and I believe it has protected my skin from alergic reactions from the adhesive.

Good luck,

Mike

Ebony&Ivory

Hi w30bob

I recently had some irritation that caused some weepy skin!

I used some Aveeno 1 hydrocortisone cream. It dried up the weeping immediately and my appliance adhered. You only use a very thin coating of the cream and for good measure wipe it with a dry gauze to get off any excess.

Have you ever tried Alginate dressing? It's a highly absorbent wound dressing! It looks a little bit like cotton. So you know that nothing will stick to cotton, right? I use it on the bad spots! It's thick, so I shred some with my fingers and stick it to the weeping spot. Then I cut a piece of extender strip and cover the Alginate with the extender strip, then I put my appliance on top.

Now you have to make sure that the Alginate is completely covered with the extender strip because the appliance won't stick to the Alginate dressing. I haven't used it together with the cortisone cream.

The Alginate works! I buy it at the drug store. It's very inexpensive!

Let me know if it works!

E I

AlexT
Reply to w30bob

Flonase? Will you explain that to me? Thanks.