Stoma Naming: Share Your Stories and Reasons!

Replies
Views
cmort4short

My stoma is called St.Ouma - the patron saint of bladderless bodies.

In South Africa, Ouma is the Afrikaans word for granny and also a brand of rusks which I enjoy.

Funny how I used to hate this thing protruding and dribbling from my stomach until the nurse said I must name it and take ownership of it.... Now we have a great relationship along with all the other items which come with a stoma...

Past Member

I am just like you because I thought that I was the only one who named my stoma. Then I got this email and saw that you had also named your stoma. I gave my stoma a very silly name. I named it Shlomo the Stoma. Now I know that it is not a stoma. Convatec (the company that makes the product I use) made a video of me and I explain why I named it that in the video. Here is the link to that video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q1KP5wpWugARBh6lb9Zb2mIajMmvEtHh/view

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,761 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

We have so much in common because I also named my stoma. I gave it a silly name. I named it Shlomo the Stoma. I know it is not a stoma but it rhymes with Shlomo. The company that makes the product I use, Convatec, made a video of me and in that video I explain why I named it Shlomo. Here is the link to that video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q1KP5wpWugARBh6lb9Zb2mIajMmvEtHh/view

Part_Nerd

I named both my stoma and bag. My stoma is Chucky, from the movie "Child's Play," because he's a little shit that does whatever he wants, and the bag is Phillip.... No explanation needed.

kray

That is funny, I had to laugh when I read that. Not laughing at you, mind you, just the way you describe the stoma and the bag. We have to have humor in our life or we would go crazy!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mikamouse

My nickname is Mikamouse... so my stoma is my Minnie me... so I named her Minnie!‍

Justbreathe

Hello to you and your Stella...you never gave us the reason why it's a Stella?

Mine is Seymour, after the shop assistant in "Little House of Horrors" also known as my current body....

When I woke up from my emergency surgery and looked down at that moving part on my belly, all I could think of was "feed me Seymour"

John A

That's kind of funny that others have named their stoma. I named mine "Rosie". My stoma resembles a rose bud and if I ever have trouble while out with a friend, I could say, "Rosie is being rude and loud and Rosie needs to give it a rest" lol.

NancyCat

Mine is named Louise— not sure why, I just yelled it out after one of her outbursts.