Reaching Out to Fellow Ostomates - Seeking Support for Missing Estimation

Replies
Views
Justbreathe

About a week ago, a "new estimate" picture and story was published by a gentleman - I cannot remember his name. He was very unhappy and upset about the cancellation of his ileostomy reversal surgery. In fact, I think the doctor told him he could no longer have a reversal. His post made me feel so bad for him and I wanted to reach out. The new pic post said he was last on the site one month ago, so I thought reaching out might get him back on the site for support. I started to write (offline) a note to him to cut and paste later. The note turned into a novel, and with daily interruptions, it took me a day or so to go back to the site and forward it to him. The problem was when I looked at recent profiles, he was nowhere to be found. I am posting this novel in hopes he will see it. This is what I wrote.

I totally understand your feelings. I too had the hopes of a reversal in short order but then had a heart attack. This led to a longer wait. I could not comprehend waiting; I wanted that stoma back in its proper place post haste! After 6 months of waiting, I was told I could have it reversed. Wait, what?!

Well, it's been a year and 7 months now, and I still have "Seymour" (stoma pet name) on my belly. Reason you might ask? Indeed, there are several.

Number one: I feel good and now worry a reversal may change that.

Number two: Distrust of doctors

Number three: My age (78). Do I really want to risk the time it takes to feel well again, and will I truly feel well again? Will I spend the remainder of my years in pain, discomfort, leakage, bathroom runs, and worried about doing things for fear of all these possible results?

Number four: My heart issues - although I take no medication and feel good, I sometimes wonder if my heart issues were related to the shock I suffered when they removed a foot of my colon, my appendix, and my right ovary due to an orange-sized infected diverticula? Prior to that, I was extremely healthy and active. Will my heart withstand this invasion?

These are just a few of my concerns about reversal. Living with Seymour has its issues as well, and I try to balance my GRIPES and GRIPS with having a stoma.

Seymour has now become my lesser of two evils - reversal or just accept him and move on. I am still open to reversal should my circumstances change. I do have a peristomal hernia now, which they say is not uncommon; however, if it becomes larger and must be repaired or other issues appear, I will need to reconsider my path.

These are just a few of my thoughts. Again, I do understand how you are feeling though and wanted you to know I felt EXACTLY as you do in the beginning of my journey. Time does heal - or at least softens the initial blow! When the doc came in to tell me I needed surgery immediately and that I was going to have an ostomy, I just wanted to die. However, that was not an option or choice! My mind was spinning. My only knowledge of the word ostomy was a recollection back in the 80s when a co-worker told me about her father-in-law having one. Remembering things she told me at that time was beyond my comprehension, and now it was happening to me, and I knew it was not good news. I have no memory after that until some time later looking down at the thing sticking outta my belly that actually made me nauseated. Fortunately, I have a loving and wonderful husband of 57 years who was strong for both of us. He watched and learned how to dress the wound while I turned completely white and thought I would either throw up or pass out! The stoma nurse actually said to him, "Look how white she is getting!" I have survived and live peacefully with "Seymour" (which is named after the movie "Little Shop of Horrors") not because I liked that movie, but the name just popped into my head ("feed me Seymour") when I looked down at my stoma for the first time.

This site says your last visit was 1 month ago. I hope you will continue to come back as these folks are a wealth of information, support, and some humor thrown in as well. Some of these Ostomates have many years of on-the-job training and experiences which they freely share to help one another. This is not the case with many surgeons (in my experience), gastroenterologists, and general practitioners - probably because they are not Ostomates. The next best source is a good stoma nurse (also referred to as WCON/WOCN) and of course, the internet! Each individual has more and/or worse problems than the last, and so many are very young - I remember this when I get down, and I try not to feel sorry for my old self.

I hope I haven't bored you with my history, but I felt compelled to write to you because I do know and understand what you are going through, and hopefully, this too shall pass or at least subside as it did for me. Wishing the very best for you. Justbreathe

HenryM

I do hope he sees this, JB, as it is wonderfully expressed and can't help but have a positive impact.  Good job, kid. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Meadow Snow

Couldn't have said it better myself, I hope he sees your post, JB.

Justbreathe
Reply to HenryM

Aww thanks Henry...we are all in a rocking boat and many of you long-timers are stabilizers!

TerryLT

I too really hope he sees your post. You were so honest and expressed yourself so well. I can relate to where you are at with your reasoning. After getting my ileostomy, I remember my surgeon saying that at some point in the future they might be able to "hook me back up". After a few months of adjusting to it, I started wondering how a reversal would work with an ileo, as opposed to the colostomy I started out with. I envisioned having to have a BM constantly throughout the day and night, and wondered about how the caustic nature of my output would react to the skin around my anus, especially when having to constantly be "going". I read about a few ileo reversals on this site, where that was a huge problem. I decided it wasn't a problem I wanted, and that I was happy to stay the way I am. Interestingly, my surgeon never brought up the subject again, and neither did I!

Terry

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Old Bud

That's exactly where I am. Two years with the stoma and only now feel fully recovered. Strong and enjoying life. No pain in the ass. Ever. Doc wants to do a reversal that keeps getting canceled but now I'm not sure. I also have a prolapse and hernia and wonder how long I can go before I need another surgery. Decide then. All the best.

Justbreathe
Reply to Old Bud

Wow, old bud or in this case old buddy - do you ever feel these roadblocks and postponements are a sign?

When we feel well and are not having any issues, the thought of starting over is overwhelming and I just say to myself "self, hang in there you can do this." Who knows, maybe the highly trained medical professionals (and in my case, I use this term loosely) will come up with new innovations someday that could be your answer.

In the meantime, I am at peace with my decision and enjoy the great life I am blessed with each day. Not to say pain and/or stoma-related agony would not send me rushing to the nearest highly trained medical professional I could find!!! Thanks so much for your input on output. It's always comforting to know we are not alone. Keep smilin'