Delicious Weight-Gaining Shakes for Post-Surgery Hunger

Replies
Views
Scicerchia

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions for protein shakes or weight gaining shakes that don't have a bad aftertaste? I'm a fairly new ileostomy since August, just looking to have something that tastes great and makes me feel full. Always hungry ever since my surgery.

AlexT

I drank Premier Protein shakes for a while, they aren't bad. 30g of protein each. I now drink Hiland chocolate milk, I think they're 16g of protein each and taste great. I also eat Pure Protein bars and they taste just about like a regular candy bar. There are many high-calorie weight gain powders/drinks that are much better now than they were years ago. Same with bars.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Scicerchia

Thank you so much.

AlexT
Reply to Scicerchia

You're welcome. Good luck.

Past Member

Hi Scicerchia,

I don't know about shakes but wanted to say welcome to the forum.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Scicerchia

Thank you so much.

Past Member

Hi Scicerchia, I have had my colostomy for 2 years and just recently started being hungry all the time. I have no idea why. I think I will go see my doctor. Do you know why you are?

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Are you craving things like ice cream and pickles?

Past Member

LOL, ice cream, yes. Pickles, no.

AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

Could just be temporary cravings that'll subside in, say, 9 months.

Past Member
Reply to AlexT

Then that truly would be a miracle.

Scicerchia
Reply to AlexT

I'm assuming I'm always hungry due to my output of my ileostomy, so I constantly crave nutrition. I do take a lot of vitamins also to try and stay somewhat healthy. I don't have any intestines, so everything is much quicker.

Scicerchia

Lol, no pickles and ice cream either.

Past Member
Reply to Scicerchia

I think I need to get my vitamin levels checked.

NOLA Lady

I make my own shakes. In a blender, I put 1 cup of milk, 1/2 frozen banana, some frozen strawberries, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, some soaked oats (1/2 cup - I soak them overnight and keep a container in the fridge), 1 scoop of NOW whey protein isolate (plain flavor), and some ice if needed. So yummy and satisfying. I too am always hungry with my Ileo. Short bowel syndrome makes us absorb fewer nutrients. Add any fruit or liquid you like. I don't use premade shakes; many have artificial sugars that make food go through faster.