Ostomy Memories of Coconuts

Replies
Views
HenryM

GROWING UP IN MIAMI, I was surrounded by coconut trees (part of the palm tree family).  One of the activities we occasionally participated in, when we were exceedingly bored out of our minds, was opening and eating coconuts.  The fruits themselves, botanically, are actually drupes, not nuts.  Enclosed in a tough husk, getting them out is a challenge.  One could spend an hour pounding the things into the pavement, over and over, trying to loosen up the husk to the point where it could finally be peeled away to reveal the coconut.  Sometimes, if I was at home, I might employ a hammer and screwdriver or chisel to do the work.  Once the husk is off you get to the little ‘coco’ which, from 16th Century Portuguese, means head or skull.  Note in the photo the two ‘eyes’ and the ‘mouth.’  Once you split that open, you get to the coconut water and the meat.  I never cared much for the liquid, but many people drink it.  “The two basic items necessary to sustain life,” said Dustin Hoffman, “are sunshine and coconut milk.”  [Actually, the milk is different than the water.  The water is what’s inside the coconut; the milk is pressed from the meat.]  I did eat the meat though, and was happy to give away most of it to anyone who wanted some.  I avoid it these days, as I suspect it might not funnel through my surgically re-arranged system comfortably.  I listen to Jimmy Buffett music instead.  

SallyK

Have you tried this?...

You put the lime in the coconut, you drink 'em both together
Put the lime in the coconut, then you feel better
Put the lime in the coconut, drink 'em both up

(Harry Nilsson Lime in the Coconut)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HenryM
Reply to SallyK

Best video I've seen in a long time!  I've never tried lime in coconut, but I do love lime in iced tea or gin.

Justbreathe

Thanks for this, Henry.... I have had a "Stuck song syndrome" in my head all morning after reading about coconuts. Namely the song:

You put the lime in the cola, you nut, and drink it all up.

Or in my case, it would be - put the rum in the cola, you nut, then drink it all up.

Jimmy should have recorded that one for sure.

Justbreathe
Reply to SallyK

Not you too, Sally.... It'll be in my head all day now! It is a jumpy little tune!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
SallyK
Reply to Justbreathe

Lol, it was always one of those songs my sisters and I would play when we were into the Pina Coladas. Along with Harry Belafonte's 'Banana Boat Song (Day O)' and 'Jump In The Line'.

bowsprit

The following lines are to be sung to a calypso beat

Our Mr. Henry is the coconut man

He likes to eat that fruit when he can

He lives in Miami near the coconut tree

Where all them nuts go for free

He only likes the meat in the nut

He gives all the rest to the girl in the hut

The only time Henry puts out to sea

He gets eaten alive by a Portuguese.

SallyK
Reply to bowsprit