Simple American Recipes for Ileostomy Diet

Replies
Views
megalyman

I have had my ileostomy for 4 years and have learned the basics of what to and what not to eat, time to eat, size of meals, and all of that stuff. Sometimes by error, like when I ate too many peanuts and was clogged and miserable for two days. I am trying to find a good source of easy recipes/menus that I can use for food shopping and meal making. This can be a book or anybody's favorite recipes. I am a man, so it has to be simple (ha, ha). I like mostly American food, no Indian, Thai, or "unusual" foods. Ok, call it boring, I don't care. Any suggestions?

weewee

How about a good old recipe called "Shit on the Shingle" - sausage gravy and toast or bun? Of course, there are the hobo dinners. They are easy to make and you can change the ingredients. They are fast to make too. Take steak, hamburger, fish, potatoes, butter, mushrooms, spices, and veggies. If you can have it, put it all in some tin foil and cook until done. Eggs, sausage, mushrooms, onions - all mixed together and rolled up in a soft shell like a burrito. Then you have grilled cheese with whatever kind of meat inside the sandwich. Plus, since you are on the internet, there are many meals you can look up and find what you like that are easy to make.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,598 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

megalyman

Yes, I know what SOS is, I was in the Navy. I was hoping I could get a little bit better than that.

Primeboy

SOS was a military term for chipped beef on toast. I think it was served for breakfast on cold days.

Past Member

There are loads of easy recipes on the internet, very tasty too, and they even tell you how long to cook things for.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
noona

I was going to give some Mediterranean recipe but you don't like unusual foods. What is American food???

Past Member

Don't know if the below link will work but it is the American version of Cooking for Blokes which even for a sheila like myself is bloody good tucker!http://mantestedrecipes.com/

noona

This website has good American recipes. http://www.myrecipes.com/american-recipes/

megalyman

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had some unexpected issues to deal with. Thanks for your response. To me, American food is without a lot of harsh spices like garlic, curry, too much hot stuff, etc. Actually, most of those spices were used to cover the taste of tainted meat before the days of refrigeration. Plus, I have GERD which prevents me from eating a lot of spices.

noona

No problem and I hope I didn't offend you by my last comment. (I try to cook at home as much as I could. In this way, I could control how much spices to use and which ones I don't have to use. I am Middle Eastern, so I use spices, but not as much as Indian or Asian spices. I use olive oil and I try not to eat fried food and fast food. Once I eat out and I am not careful, I end up with an upset stomach, and that is not good. Good luck finding some good recipes :)

LadyHope

Here is an easy fish recipe for the grill... I picked it up from a TV cooking show a couple of years ago.

Tilapia - several fillets
Mild Salsa or if salsa is too spicy, try diced onions, tomatoes, and/or diced peppers.
2 - three potatoes
eggplant
zucchini/squash
tomatoes
onion

On one piece of aluminum foil - heavy duty - place the fish fillets. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. I also use a dash or two of seasoned salt. Spread on top of the fillets a nice scoop of jarred salsa and wrap up the fillets in foil, pinching and rolling the sides so nothing leaks out. Place the fillets on the grill at medium heat for approximately 15 - 20 minutes - check the fish at that time. I usually unwrap the foil some and allow the fish to cook another 5 - 10 minutes in its own sauce and serve.

The veggies:
Layout another piece of heavy-duty foil. Add to it, chopped veggies including potatoes, onions, zucchini, fresh tomato, and peeled eggplant (if you like eggplant). You really can add other veggies, but these are ones that I like the most. Carrots are delicious and colorful, but they require a longer cook time. Side note: to hurry the process along, I microwave the potatoes for 2 minutes because the other veggies are less dense and will cook faster.

Drizzle the veggies with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt, oregano, basil, regular salt, and pepper to taste. Roll and crimp the sides of the foil like you did with fish and place on the grill, medium heat, for about 15 - 20 minutes - check to make sure nothing is burning. The veggies will cook in their au jus. Serve when you feel the veggies are cooked to your liking. I like all of my food well, well done so things cook longer. Hope you enjoy the recipe. My husband and I love it, especially on a hot summer day when we do not want to turn on the house stove. LH

megalyman

Potatoes, eggplant, zucchini/squash, tomatoes, onion on

Now that is one heck of a word! Is it best to cook slices of eggplant with the skin on and trim off after? Just thinking it might help to keep it from getting mushy. I have not had it in a long time and really don't recall what it tastes like. Battered or plain?

LadyHope

Hi Megalyman, I noticed the run-on sentence after I posted the recipe....LOL. I actually typed it out with paragraphs but forgot that this program does not allow them and autocorrected. I peel the skin off of the eggplant but can eat the zucchini skin. I eat most things fairly plain too. Fried foods, with the exception of delicious French fries, will not agree with me. I also enjoy salmon on the grill and oven as well. I picked up a recipe from a cute restaurant in La Jolla, CA many years ago and use it all of the time. With the salmon, all you have to do is pack the top of the fillet with brown sugar and a sprinkle of salt. That is it. Bake it until completely cooked (20 - 30 minutes depending upon the piece of fish). The brown sugar melts and creates a delicious glaze. Enjoy. LH

ron in mich

I find the easiest way to cook is with a crockpot.

megalyman

I never thought of putting brown sugar on fish. I have always found that dark fish had a strong taste which I really don't like. I like fish and know it is good for you. I will have to try it your way and see how I like it. (Was that just a spell checker I didn't see before?) Thanks, I needed that. I have used the crock pot for soups and stews but think it dries out big pieces of meat. Should I try searing the meat first?

LadyHope

Hi, I usually do not use a crockpot because I think that it could malfunction while I am out and burn the house down. Yes, I would sear the larger pieces of meat to keep in the juices. I don't eat much beef but I do eat lots of chicken and fish. Pork products are out with the exception of bacon, sausage, and scrapple. I find the other pork dishes such as roasts and chops too tough for me. I can't cook pork for some reason... it usually ends up like shoe leather... LOL. LH

megalyman

I must admit that I am learning a lot about cooking from all of you and I appreciate it. I am trying new things to hopefully expand my horizons. I know there are many different tastes out there and I am open to try some of them. But, this one has me a bit hesitant. Scrapple.. Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are removed, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. Please help me.. does this sound like something we should really eat? (Just joking so don't go postal). Actually, it sounds like something my deceased aunt used to make she called Turkey Loaf. After every time we had turkey (Thanksgiving and Christmas) she would take the leftover carcass and boil it until all the leftover meat was boiled off. She would discard the bones and add clear gelatin to the liquid. I think she added any leftover peas, celery, or whatever and let it congeal like Jello. Let me say that it was not one of my favorite meals when we went to visit, but, as a kid I did what I was told and ate it. It makes me wonder, is there a connection between Turkey Loaf and ulcerative colitis?

LadyHope

That is funny... LOL. I never had turkey loaf so I can't really comment. We say that pork scrapple has everything in it but the oink. Scrapple is delish if cooked properly. It must be lightly floured, sliced no more than 1/4 and cooked crispy in a pan/skillet. You may also add oil in the pan and fry it too. Some serve it mushy and it is not good. Sorry for those who like it that way but I think it is much better crispy. LH

ron in mich

Hi all, when I do beef or pork in the crockpot, I always sear it in a pan first. If it's beef, I add a packet of dried onion soup and a couple cups of water. For fish, I always do it on the gas grill.

megalyman

I am going to try some of these things over the next few weeks. But, I want you to know that I have the ability to track you down. If I get violently sick, my family will be able to find you and do some unkind things. If you need to adjust your formulas, I suggest you do it now before I get involved in your suggestions. One or both of us could be in for a hard time. Thanks, Don

LadyHope

Hello, if you are not comfortable cooking these dishes, please do not do so. I would not want anyone to get sick. Also, crockpots, fish, and scrapple are available on the open market to the consumer, nothing unusual here. The manufacturer clearly states if the consumer has a problem with the item, you should contact the manufacturer, not another consumer. i.e. allergies, quality control, proper food handling techniques. As in all things, it is a matter of choice.

megalyman

Actually, I hoped you would see the attempt at humor in my comment. I used to go into drain pipes to handpick crayfish, crawdads, or mudbugs - whatever you want to call them. Cooking anything does not bother me (unless it's chicken left outside for a few days). I remember when a few buddies and I were out hunting wild pigs and only got a squirrel, which we skinned and cooked in some rice over an open fire to make some good squirrel stew.

DonBrown1943

Megalyman, that type of humor is common in my family but I found others did not understand, so I dropped it. If you and I are ever chatting, you can use your warped sense of humor on me 'coz I'm warped too.