Ileostomy 6-Week Mark: Safe to Eat Leafy Greens and Cruciferous Veggies?

Replies
Views
knitter
Jun 07, 2023 3:47 pm

Hello all: I posted three weeks after my ileostomy surgery. Now I'm approaching the 6-week mark, and I'm trying to be prudent about advancing my diet but a little more adventurous about what I include. I'm going to make soup today with onion, sweet potato, apple, and carrots, all of which will be seasoned with curry powder or cumin. I'll pulverize them before eating.

I'd like to include other vegetables in the future, but I read somewhere that things like kale, even if they're cooked and ground with a blender, still contain high fiber and should be avoided. So far, I've been able to handle most anything in small quantities: strawberries, raw peas, cooked meat, and potatoes. But I crave dark, leafy greens and the vitamins and minerals they provide.

I will be scheduled for a reversal soon, so I consider myself fortunate, but dealing with the here and now, I want to avoid any blockage, obviously, but I want to enjoy life. So much that I read contains such contradictory testimony from those who have conditions that run the gamut. Meaning, some people have to deal with a lot more colon loss than I have, some have IBD, and some have lesser issues like myself. I have certainly had to deal with difficult treatments for rectal cancer, but I'm lucky that I had a great surgeon, and I'll eventually have pretty much full use of my colon, large and small, and with no bag.

This is all to say, there is so much information! And it applies to so many different situations. I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say
just that I don't want to discourage anyone or promote potentially dangerous advice. That puts me in a spot where I want to encourage those who can experiment with their consumption of a variety of foods. I also don't want to say anything that will get people in trouble or land them in the hospital.

Has anyone with an ileostomy tried leafy greens or cruciferous vegetables about 6 to 8 weeks after surgery without bad effects?

AlexT
Jun 07, 2023 4:00 pm

Kale should be avoided at all costs simply because it's kale. Hope your reversal goes well.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38
Jun 07, 2023 7:24 pm

If you can eat raw peas without any problems, I think you're on to a winner and should be able to get away with eating just about anything. No one can give you any guarantees on what will be okay, as we're all unique in what foods are okay for us. Carry on as you are, trying everything in small portions; then, if it were to cause a problem, it would be short-lived.

TerryLT
Jun 07, 2023 8:54 pm
Reply to AlexT

LOL!

TerryLT
Jun 07, 2023 9:00 pm

Six weeks is plenty of time for things to have healed up nicely. I was trying some high-fiber things, like whole grain bread, much sooner than that. You should definitely start introducing cruciferous vegetables, small amounts at a time, and chew well, of course. No need to miss the things you love. I have an ileo and eat all high-fiber things without any problem. Good luck.

Terry

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister