Exploring Oil Hacks for Ostomy Bags: A Personal Journey

Replies
Views
Justbreathe

Hack for the Sac

I realize some folks frown upon applying a small amount of oil into one's bag near the stoma area. I have also read about it perhaps being responsible for leaks. Fortunately for me, I have not experienced this dilemma.

I do hate output residue, so I use oil because it allows output to flow easily and completely. I am careful not to over-oil. Safe or not safe - I don't know, but at my age, I like to live dangerously! Just joshing…

I was using baby oil, but I stumbled upon this idea. It works great, and the benefits include:

Easy squeezie, comparable price ($2), and best of all, it enables me to be a crack shot despite my not-so 20/20 vision.
See picture ………..jb

Beachboy

Back when I played Hacky Sack, I was fleet of foot.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,522 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I use the Adapt deodorant/lubricant. I pour it into the end of the bag and rub it all over the inside of the bag, and it gets all over my stoma, never an issue. It's kind of pointless to have oil/lube in a bag if it's only in the very end of the bag, in my opinion. 🤷‍♂️

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

Hey Alex - maybe so, but any chemicals (providing scents/deodorants) on my stoma scare me. This enema product supposedly has mineral oil and water, and I figured if its original intent was to stick it into an asshole, it must be safe, right? Also, it costs a whole lot less than ostomy products, and the delivery system was perfect for me. Happy Halloween! - JB

dhernash1617

I use olive oil. About 5-10 drops. 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

Alex - yes, the pointer tip and chemicals in this product  are both safe and effective .  
My concern about being safe is …what perfumes and other ingredients are in those products?  If you even say doctors approve I shall be rolling my eyes.  I do not intentionally rub any oil on the stoma but rather all around it and especially near the out spout.  Face it, anything you drop into that bag will eventually kiss the ole’ stomie.  Especially at bedtime - gravity you know.  I too rub the oil around the stoma but never on it!  I do like more around the out spout and the area just below the stoma.  Oil definitely assists a great deal in releasing input.  jb

Justbreathe
Reply to Beachboy

And now it appears your are fleet at humor!   jb

rlevineia

I find M9 drops convenient.  Quick squirt into my bag deodorizes & lubricates.  Especially after eating onion, garlic & fish