Stoma Above Waist: Struggling with Comfort and Flow in Formal Wear

Replies
Views
edbrunner60
Nov 17, 2023 9:13 pm

Hi

Most of the time I can get by with the pouch outside my pants with a support garment and an untucked shirt. Recently, I had a formal event and used a stoma guard to leave some space between the pouch and the waistband to not cut off flow for my urostomy. It was very uncomfortable. Any ideas? I hear people talk about suspenders and a waist 1 inch greater, but even then, when sitting down, it reduces the ability for flow. 

Any alternatives?

Beachboy
Nov 18, 2023 10:58 am

I recently attended a wedding. Wore a size larger formal shirt with a vest. Tucked the shirt in, but left it loose enough for my bag to hang free. Rolled up the bag several times and secured it with an IGGIE clip (small paper clip). This way, the bag was not so long. Worked well. Hollister makes short bags. Those work well too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Nov 18, 2023 7:41 pm

Does a urostomy sit lower or differently than the other ostomies?