Help from a Plastic Card: A Key to Convenience

Replies
Views
Jayne
Nov 19, 2023 8:16 pm

I have just been reminded that having the emergency 'bathroom card' is amazingly useful! .....

For those unfamiliar - consider carrying this little bit of plastic - I used not to - but now I do!

When you need a loo because you know you need to attend to your appliance without delay - but don't know where to go in a busy unfamiliar place/bar etc,

Help is self-managed - without having to explain your predicament for all to hear - just flash the card:

It results in an immediate understanding - and instant help ... no matter how busy folk are.

The cards may be obtained from your appliance provider.

They are sized to fit in your wallet/card pocket and printed with a simple message which promotes immediate ACTION:

"The holder of this card has a

medical condition

and needs to use toilet facilities

URGENTLY"

They may be used discreetly too - and without exception no one has ever ridiculed or drawn unwanted attention following its use - most helpful.

Not all hospitals or appliance providers promote these.

ALSO - For some folk with serious mobility issues having a Motability Key - which may be used to unlock public WC facilities allows for space and cleanliness for those who need a basin in close proximity to the WC .... not a facility that is designed in most washrooms - either for Ladies or Gentlemen! Equally useful when needing to change one's appliance unexpectedly!

When needed, access to a loo right by a basin with drying facilities can be helpful for all of us when we have unplanned circumstances!

I wish I had had these simple aids after my early surgeries ... Don't be bashful - think you may cope without - well yes, but it's good to have a key for example - I keep mine with my emergency change zip pouch in the car - not bog down my handbag or jean pocket 'cept for my plastic - which stays with my credit card!

Good luck

Circumstances favor those prepared .... you may never want it - but sometime you may have need!

CrappyColon
Nov 19, 2023 8:35 pm

Several non-profits provide them too 😃

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gentlejohn
Nov 19, 2023 11:27 pm

https://www.ostomy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/travelcard_FINAL.pdf

Ben38
Nov 20, 2023 8:43 pm

They're useful if you're not confident enough to explain you have an ostomy, but they don't give you any legal rights to use toilets in the UK. They can refuse to let you use them.