Facing My Fourth Ostomy Surgery: Seeking Advice and Support

Replies
Views
JESAC78
Feb 11, 2024 1:43 am

Hello everyone, I have a question about my fourth ostomy surgery. I have been having issues for the last year with hernias and an abdominal fistula with an abscess. I had drain tubes, CAT scans, and x-rays, and I was just hospitalized for 3 weeks to find out I am malnourished and now on TPN. I got my first surgery in 2011, so I've had a stoma for quite a while, been disconnected from my large bowel for quite a while. Now they're saying they want to remove the rest of my colon and my rectum and sew my butt shut. I'm devastated. My last colonoscopy showed to be clear, so I'm really confused on why they want to go and do that. What they are supposed to do is revise my stoma and fix the hernias. Has anybody else been through this? I really don't know what to think or how to feel.

w30bob
Feb 11, 2024 2:21 am

Hi JES,

You said a lot there, and some of it doesn't make any sense, but maybe it's me. Let's get the facts straight first, so tell me if I'm reading you right.

You've had an ostomy since 2011. Possibly a colostomy, but it could also be an ileostomy... not sure. But regardless, you still have part of your colon, as well as your rectum. You've been dealing with hernias, an abscess, and a fistula for the past year. You were just hospitalized for 3 weeks, but didn't say why. Was that to repair the hernia, abscess, and fistula? While there, they determined you were malnourished and put you on TPN. So why were you malnourished? Sounds like something is going on, but you don't say what. So now they're saying they want to remove what's left of your colon, as well as your rectum, and sew up your butt. Now why would they want to do that?

I think you need to get more info from your docs. Find out what exactly your condition is and what the options for courses of treatment are. You also NEED to get a second opinion on all this before you let them remove your colon and rectum. I'd call them on Monday and find out what's what. If you're not comfortable discussing things with your doc, then have them text or email you a summary of your condition and their suggested path forward and post that here. Sorry I can't be of more help yet, but you really need to understand what's going on with your condition.

;O)

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,887 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy
Feb 12, 2024 6:49 am

Like Bob stated: you need more information from your doctors and a second opinion. It's major surgery. You need all the facts to make an informed medical decision.

RyaninWashington
Feb 12, 2024 11:31 pm

My name is Ryan and I had a difficult time with surgeries. To prevent infection on skin, use Hibiclens soap. It's in a teal-colored bottle and is used by surgeons before operations. Silver gauze works well with abscesses. It's definitely worth it.