Tips for Reducing Overnight Output After Panproctocolectomy

Replies
Views
onmc1985
Feb 13, 2024 7:56 am

Hi all, new here and first post. I'm 3 weeks post-panproctocolectomy for UC. Apart from a terrible inpatient stay, I'm now doing well, happy, and confident not to have UC anymore, and I'm getting used to my new internal (and external) plumbing. I'm just wondering if any of you experienced ostomates have good tips for reducing overnight output. I'm eating an early and light evening meal (around 17:30 to 18:00), but my output seems to increase overnight and peak between 3 am and 5 am. Any ideas?

AlexT
Feb 13, 2024 10:48 pm

Your system/body relaxes while you sleep and things flow easier. If you know roughly how long it takes for food to go through your system, it may be better for you to eat right before bed rather than earlier.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Downtown
Feb 15, 2024 8:35 am

I agree with AlexT, you should just try different times. You'll figure out what works best. As for me, I'm up around 3 a.m. every night for a bathroom trip, but I'm an old dude now, so I think that comes with the territory!

Accordianman
Apr 06, 2024 8:02 pm

There is a cut-off time for eating before you go to bed... approximately 3 hours! I find eating 1/2 banana before you bed down slows the bowel down!