Ulcers on Stoma: Seeking Advice and Experiences

Replies
Views
whackjob74
Apr 20, 2024 3:54 am

Hi, I have an ileo and a large peristomal hernia. I have been having issues lately with my peristomal hernia getting very large. I'm dealing with the surgeon and can't see the ostomy nurse until next Friday. Right now my stoma is fully protruded all of the time and bothering me. This week I've noticed bleeding and ulcers on the stoma itself. Anyone else have ulcers on your actual stoma? They look just like canker sores you get in your mouth but on the stoma itself, not the skin around it.

ron in mich
Apr 20, 2024 1:02 pm

Hi WJ, I've had those occasionally on my stoma over the years and they don't seem to be a problem, but I keep an eye on them.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Itsme58
Apr 20, 2024 8:49 pm

I had a sore that was bleeding on my stoma, and it turned into a prolapsed growth. It wasn't there the morning of my surgery, but it was when I was released. My surgeon cut it out in the doctor's office, sent it to biopsy, and found out it was cancer. Cancer caused all my issues. I hope that's not the case for you. Just make sure you get any growths removed and biopsied.