Different Size Pouches: One-Piece vs. Two-Piece?

Replies
Views
thegonzos1
May 05, 2024 4:00 am

Are there 2-part pouches that come in different lengths? I have been googling to no avail. Also, which is better, a one-piece drainage pouch or a 2-piece? Thanks in advance for any advice or information.

Charlotte

xnine
May 05, 2024 4:40 am

Hollister has two sizes, regular about 7 inches long and mini about 5 inches long. These are closed, not drainable.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior
May 05, 2024 6:10 am

Hi... yes... there are different sized length bags... what are you googling? Try going directly to the manufacturer's website... also try going to the suppliers... or middlemen... I use Edgepark...

1 or 2 piece appliances have advantages over each other. It depends if you are an ileo or colostomy person.

5 people will love the 1 piece and offer reasons why they prefer it. Then again, 5 will say 2 piece appliances are better.

These systems work for them. They might not work for you.

The mantra on this site we often use and say and stand firmly on is this:

No 2 people are the same with using meds, using appliances, benefits vary greatly.

We can suggest a system or two... a trick... a method... because it works for us. And tell you through multiple members here the advantages and disadvantages.

Sit tight, more to follow. And welcome.

w30bob
May 05, 2024 6:37 am

Hi TG,

As Warrior said, it's all personal preference. If you think you'll have the need to replace your bag before it's time to change your barrier, then you go with a 2-piece. If you have no reason to change the bag before then, you go with the 1-piece. So it sort of depends on your lifestyle (how active you are), how long you go between barrier changes, and if changing your barrier when you least expect it is a problem or not. Some of us can only change a barrier first thing in the morning, so if we had a 1-piece and something happened to the bag such that we needed to change the whole shebang, we'd be screwed. A 1-piece sits closer to your skin, so it's less noticeable under your shirt than a 2-piece, but with a 2-piece you can rotate your bag when you wear a horizontal Stealth Belt or such. So each has its pluses and minuses. Try them both and see what works best for you!

;O)

warrior
May 05, 2024 10:24 am
Reply to w30bob

Yeah, yeah... what he said... ditto. Good points. Gotta be comfortable. Play a variety of appliances to see which fits your lifestyle.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Justbreathe
May 05, 2024 12:02 pm

I am currently in the process of test driving new appliances. It took me some time to realize and identify what is important to me and what works for me. Reading posts on this site has helped tremendously.

As you travel this journey, keep notes on what you favor and what is required. I have an ileostomy.

For example:

LESS IS MORE - the least amount of paraphernalia I need, the better - therefore I use a one-piece.

I consider a bit of air in my bag a benefit as it allows output to drop to the bottom of the bag rather than pancaking. I definitely do not want a filter (for air release) - which many favor and consider a “must.”

I prefer to see what is going on inside my bag (so a clear front) - mostly to observe the health of my stoma and also noting which foods I may want to eliminate from my diet. Haven't found any food yet that I cannot eat; however, I love milk and it will blow up the ole' bag…not me…the pouch beyond recognition - especially at night. Also, I have seen a whole pill in the bag, so if I need to take any medication, it needs to be sublingual or liquid.

I am looking for the perfect “out-spout” for releasing contents…a firm plastic-rimmed spout is great.

I have a peristomal hernia - just another cog in the wheel but important and worth noting when speaking to representatives about their products.

I have yet to find one that suits all of my idiosyncrasies, but I continue my search. I am awaiting my last sample test drive equipment (for now). Another downside is, if I find a more suitable product, I will most likely need to change suppliers, and I am more than happy with my current one.

Good luck in your search - it does take patience and as everyone will share - “we are all different.” Searching is a pain in the ….uh….well, you know. Also, dealing with insurance and product costs is another consideration, and that too differs with each OstoMate. jb

blaineshadow
May 06, 2024 4:55 am
Reply to xnine

There are mini drainables for most flange sizes, but they're listed as pediatric bags. I had an event where I had to wear a suit and wanted to be able to tuck in my shirt, made things a lot easier, but you need to empty them quite a bit more often.

warrior
May 06, 2024 6:27 pm
Reply to blaineshadow

Mini drainable pouches?

And they are for pediatric use?

Please explain who makes these smaller pouches. Where did you get them from?

And you are saying using these enabled you to tuck your shirt in?

Where do I sign up? 😆

blaineshadow
May 06, 2024 8:52 pm
Reply to warrior

I called Hollister's product request line and explained what I was looking for. They sent me 18383 (closed), 18203 (clamp drainable), 18283 (lock and roll drainable), and made sure it matches my already used 11203. The Hollister rep on the phone said they are usually only offered and recommended for pediatric use, but since I was looking for it with a specific use, they would see if they could get it approved for a sample request. I ordered a half and half order of my regular 18133 and 18283 with no insurance (Medicare) complaints. I'll probably keep doing that unless I start needing to wear more dressy clothes on a regular basis.

thegonzos1
May 07, 2024 1:09 am
Reply to warrior

Thanks for the advice!

thegonzos1
May 07, 2024 1:37 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It's all extremely helpful!

warrior
May 07, 2024 2:27 am
Reply to blaineshadow

Thank you. Gonna Google those items to see what they look like.

I use Coroplast products. Two-piece Mio. Did you know you can turn the appliance bag with most two-piece systems? I use a belt to the flange and wrap around the belt for support.

Can tuck shirt in, but yeah, you can see this "thing" through the shirt.

I just go extra large on shirts. Problem solved.

Pretty neat turning the bag 360 degrees. For washing it out, I mean, without removing it.

blaineshadow
May 07, 2024 6:04 pm
Reply to warrior

I keep my pouch vertical. I tend to have somewhat sticky output and need to swipe it down somewhat frequently, even with lubricant. I've also gotten samples from all three major brands in the USA, and only Hollister didn't give me skin irritation. As for seeing it through the shirt, I just kept my jacket on but unbuttoned when I was overheated a little bit. More for anyone else's modesty than my own comfort level. If I need to, I have zero concerns about being even shirtless in public.