Trying Out Convatec Moldables After Stoma Size Change

Replies
Views
twinkie
May 05, 2024 1:26 pm

I've successfully used the Convatec Durahesive convex wafer for years and gotten great routine wear time.

My stoma (I've had it for almost 48 years—am 68) has become more oval, and now when I put my wafer on, there is skin space on the top and bottom of the wafer.

I've spoken with a couple of ostomy nurses, and they've suggested trying a moldable convex wafer.

I'm taking the plunge and meeting with an ostomy nurse to see the best way to roll the wafer back so that it'll turtleneck (I'm not good with videos) and am nervous that I'll get a real blowout (very rarely get them now). My work schedule is so demanding that I really can't take time off. I also have several early morning meetings, and even with a blowout, I'll sleep through it, which I know is hard to believe until there's poop all over everywhere.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

kittybou
May 05, 2024 2:01 pm

I'm supposed to get samples of that. I will let you know. 🐕😸

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Riva
May 05, 2024 2:03 pm

Suggest for the turtleneck using a hairdryer to help mold. You've got this 👍👍

Andrew82
May 05, 2024 2:53 pm

I'm curious as to how you'll like them. I keep getting ads for them, but I've had issues with Convatec stuff in the past. I think I'm allergic to their adhesive tape.

aTraveler
May 05, 2024 4:22 pm

The moldable is easy to apply. You have to make sure you get the correct size. For example, my stoma is 1 1/8 inches, and the size of the ConvaTec moldable wafer that I use is sized 7/8" - 1 1/4". You just roll the opening back large enough to fit over your stoma and place the wafer over the stoma. The opening will contract to fit around your stoma. The turtlenecking occurs once you start to get output. The wafer is good for about 4 days before you need to change it. For even more leak protection, you may want to consider using a barrier ring around your stoma before applying the wafer.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister