Share your encounters with celebrities!

Replies
Views
Gus

I saw Cold Chisel before they got huge and met John Swan the night before he released the song "Lady What's Your Name". Um, Kate Winslet on the set of a movie I forget the name of.

jonnyt41

Txgirl,

I wasn't snubbing you when I didn't reply to your comment on the forum. I just hadn't been back on it. Sorry.

Jon T.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,745 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

beatrice

Can I sidetrack this thread a bit??

Has anyone ever met someone 'famous' who has an ostomy? Or do you know of anyone 'famous/celebrities/sports people' who have one?

Past Member
Me and my doctors got onto this subject after I got my "Raspberry" and they went off to research famous people with ostomies. The best they could come up with between them was Cliff Richard. I told them that they'd have to do better than that, but they couldn't. They tried to throw in a former president who had Crohn's (Dwight Eisenhower), but I told them that didn't count. Hehe. I also suspected they'd done their "research" on Google...
beatrice

Agree - neither of those 'counts' with me either! I'm looking for someone like Shakira, Meryl Streep, Daniel Day Lewis, Bono ...

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Primeboy

I shook the hand of John L. Sullivan.

KennyT

I remember vividly when I was twelve years old and I was just so excited to meet the guy down the road who was the first person in our whole town to have a Mustang pushbike. It took my breath away!!!

Mystified

When I was a kid and I'm still a kid at heart...but when I was about 13 and this has been eons and eons and many many years ago...our neighborhood movie theater had a special Saturday morning movie event for all kids from early age to where parents would bring them to see the cartoons etc that would go for hours and the parents would leave and do their grocery shopping and whatever else they had to do. The movie house...was now the babysitter every Saturday morning and of course, all afternoon.

One year, they had what they called a cowboy...cowgirl series where the boys wore chaps and had cap guns in their holsters. The girls were all little ladies. Each Saturday, they would have a drawing whereby 2 girls and 2 boys names would be drawn and they would receive special prizes. My name was drawn and I was taken with my parents to meet Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Roy's band and his horse and all of them. It was spectacular!! I got to sit on Roy's horse, Trigger. I can't remember the name of the guy that was his funny man but he was there too. What a wonderful visit that was!!

Barbie

ron in mich

Hi all, probably the most famous person was Tim Allen from the TV show Tool Time. I was at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin race track for Indy car racing. That same weekend, I met Mario and Michael Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Janet Guthrie, and Al Unser Jr. These people were all very gracious and willing to give autographs and pictures. I've also met three different governors of Michigan, but they're just politicians. Ron in Michigan.

Past Member

Hi, I've met Cliff Richard. He also has an ileostomy. He was so understanding. He was visiting the hospital I was in after my operation. He sat and talked to me for around 15 minutes. He's a lovely person.

I have also met HM the Queen. Well, I curtsied to her, didn't speak.

bklynmom

I have met numerous famous people

Jessica Simpson
Nick Lachey
Beyonce
Mandy Moore

WWF wrestlers

Triple H
Kurt Angle

And many, many more

Past Member

The late Queen Mother, and possibly Lulu and Cilla Black (whose photos were all over the ward I was in) had/have ostomies.

kenkd

I have met many famous people throughout my life, including greeting and shaking hands with:

Wayne Newton Martin Luther King Jim Brown (and various other famous football players) Bobby Womack (the soul singer) and others.

I also partied with the soul group, The Chi-Lites, when they were on top and visited my area. Many of my contacts were with famous musicians and singers.

Because of my classical radio broadcast online (and while it doesn't actually qualify as actually meeting them), I am in constant touch (via email) with famous artists from around the globe (seeking to get their music aired), and an occasional phone call.

jjjnettie

My kids went to the same school as the kids of race car driver Craig Lowndes. We see him in town, at the pub, etc., etc.
(Probably doesn't mean anything to anyone outside of Australia though LOL)

KennyT
No, Jjnettie. It probably does not mean much to Ford fans, I am tipping. I am neither Ford nor Holden (actually just watch the races), so I am happy for you to see him around.
bmeup

Hey Rudy, I think you've got everyone else beat! Celebrities are one thing but royalty is quite another. I loved the Queen Mum and gained a deeper empathy for Queen Elizabeth after I saw the movie "The Queen". I think for someone who was never expected to be the Queen of England when she was born, she's handled it pretty well. But of course, I'm viewing all of this from the other side of the pond, so to speak.

christiesdad

Hmmmmmm, let's see................
I danced with Lana Turner for about 10 seconds, (she was doing a USO show). Me and about 100 other guys got our 10 seconds of fame.
Went to school with Pernell Roberts, (Ponderosa T.V. show). Funny thing is, in school he was "Bob Pennell".
Shook hands with Larry Csonka, (that ain't how you spell his name!) Miami Dolphin running back.
Oh, and Garo Yepremian, kicker for Miami.

StomaStan

I have met only 2 celebrities, the first was when I was 7 and was just leaving church and me and my family ran into Lou Ferrigno...the original Incredible Hulk. And he signed my Bible. Still have it, of course. And many years later when I was 18...I was working at a Holiday Inn as the night kitchen manager and had a waitress come tell me that there was a customer who wanted to compliment my chicken tortilla soup. So I went walking out there and don't know the guy's name, but it was the Captain from 21 Jump Street...the original series, of course. And the same guy...I don't know if anyone watched it, but he was the African American guy on X-Files who was the secret agent that was always causing more problems. But anyways, I met him and he offered to buy me a shot of tequila until he found out I was 18, so I opted for a cup of coffee.

Rudy

I was a really big wrestling fan during the '70s and '80s. I even had a few local wrestlers from Dave McKigney's (The Wildman) Big Bear Wrestling in Ontario come visit me in the hospital after I had my operation. These guys weren't big huge stars, but I was thrilled just to see them.

There are many famous wrestlers that I met, and I would always get their autograph. I have a book, "Whatever Happened to Gorgeous George?" written by Joe Jares in 1974. I would bring this book with me whenever I went to a wrestling show, and any wrestler that was mentioned in the book, I would get him to sign the page where his name was.

Wrestlers who signed the book include Abdullah Farouk (Ernie Roth), The Sheik (Edward George Farhat), Andre the Giant, Wladek (Killer) Kowalski, Whipper Billy Watson, Fred Blassie, Lou Thesz, Dory Funk Jr., Gene Kiniski, and many more.

I have a blog, www.bigbearwrestling.blogspot.com. There I have lots of pictures that I personally took of the wrestlers. Anyone who watched wrestling back in the 1970s, this will bring back a lot of great memories for you.

George "The Animal" Steele, whose autograph I also have, apparently has an ostomy now as well.

christiesdad
Did you happen to know a family by the name of Calhoun, George & Inez? Distant cousins of mine.
lazymule

Sorry, I do not remember the name George Calhoun, but could have seen them around in the early years ...lazymule

Primeboy

I don't remember a George Calhoun, but I definitely recall Algonquin J. Calhoun, Esq., a famous Chicago attorney who practiced in the late 40's. I think he established his reputation defending the infamous George Kingfish Stephens in a host of petty larceny trials. On a personal note, I used to deliver newspapers to Boston Mayor James Michael Curley, sometimes known as the Rascal King. Curley was Mayor of Boston and Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for years. He served time in prison for taking a civil service exam for a friend. He also was elected Mayor while in jail. His life was commemorated in the movie, The Last Hurrah, starring Spencer Tracy. All of us kids were sure to be the first at his house on Halloween to get the best treats - usually a $5 bill squeezed from some Boston Brahmin. Every Thursday afternoon he would personally open his backdoor and pay me for the papers. He always had time to inquire about my parents' voting interests and then have me encourage them to vote a certain way.

iMacG5
My wife and I are real hockey fans; New Jersey Devils of course.  Our grandson was playing around Nutly at the same time as Martin Brodeur's son.  I caught him alone, told him my wife was his biggest fan, which was true and asked if he would meet her.  He asked me her name and the rest is history.  The greatest Goalie in the history of the NHL walks up to my wife, offers his hand and says "Hi Beverly, my name is Martin Brodeur and I'm pleased to meet you".  My wife's jaw dropped, garbled sounds tried to escape as she shook his hand.  She might have said a real word but we're not sure.  

A real class guy.  Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Mike
iMacG5
Here's something I was close to and would like to share.  A golf buddy told me his aunt was going to Rome and might actually see the Pope, John Paul II.  A few weeks later we were on the third hole and my friend says, "I need to tell you about my aunt' trip".  "Not only did she see the Pope she was able to wait in line and actually stand face to face with him.  So many things she prepared to say and was suddenly speechless.  Then came the only words she could find, "I love you".  John Paul II took her hand, smiled and said "and I love you".

Mike
christiesdad
Hey Prime,
Wasn't J. Algonquin    Calhoun, Esq.    the lawyer on The Amos and Andy show back in the fifties on radio?
Primeboy
The one and only. Nice going, Jack!
hometown

Hi, just read your post about living in Macon, GA, and had to write and say a good friend moved from up North and is living in Macon. She lives on a waterfront property and loves it down there. Nice to meet someone who lives in that small town also. Take care, Joyce.

gutenberg
Oh How I remember the Amos and Andy show, all of us sitting around the table listening to the battery operated radio, we were allowed to laugh at the comedy but not allowed to talk during the show or Dad would kick us away so as not to miss the good lines, man what good times, Ed
Goodfolk

Met both Margi Clarke and Bez and Shaun Ryder. All very uninspiring.