Shower protection for ostomy bag - any recommendations?

Replies
Views
looking forward
Jul 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi, I just showered and then dried my hair with a hairdryer.

dls
Aug 08, 2019 11:29 am

A bit late to this party, but here's my two cents. I never wear anything into the bath or shower. Buck naked. Let the soapy water run over your stoma, take a washcloth and get every smidgen of adhesive off, and just enjoy being clean. When I was in the hospital, they made me shower like that, all trussed up with plastic wrap. Not for me. I change my bag every time I bathe or shower, daily. Feels great and gives my body a chance to enjoy having nothing on. It also makes bathing easier as I'm not 'working around' anything.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,828 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56
Aug 08, 2019 5:08 pm

This really goes to show "to each his own"! What a wide variety of systems to get to the same end, very interesting isn't it?

I do know that as a newbie, I took many more precautions than I do now. I have always said we evolve. That stands true with processes, products, mindset, all of it!

Puppyluv

lovely
Sep 26, 2019 4:31 am

I know it has been awhile since this question was asked. But I just read this question. You did not say if you tried to shower with just the wafer and pouch without anything covering it. I have never had a problem and I don't cover mine, I just dry it off with a towel. I also make sure there is air in the pouch. The air keeps the pouch from being against the skin.

vanestag
Sep 24, 2022 4:53 pm
Reply to BeachRN

What does zinc oxide do?

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
vanestag
Sep 24, 2022 5:01 pm
Reply to Little Lulu

Just wondering, does Medicare pay for any of this waterproof tape everyone is talking about or am I the only young senior?

AlexT
Sep 24, 2022 6:26 pm
Reply to vanestag

Helps with drying your skin and protecting it from moisture. I also use it every time I shower. Wash my stoma area off with Dial soap, rinse well, apply some Head & Shoulders and let it sit on my skin around my stoma for 30-60 seconds and then rinse it off well. I've had no skin irritation since I've started this.