Painful Stoma

Replies
Views
sedonaazmaom61

I had my colostomy in 2007 and it herniated, so I had to have a repair done for a parastomal hernia along with a ventral hernia. Is it normal for my stoma to still hurt and have a rash around it all the time?

Past Member
Hi, that doesn't sound right to have a painful stoma and a rash. I was told to take off the bag when I showered and it wouldn't hurt the stoma as it has no nerve endings. So I use Dial yellow soap as it has no junk in it that will keep my bag from sticking. I think washing it with a good healthy antibacterial soap might help. I still don't know how a stoma can have pain unless you have an infection around it. There isn't one nerve ending on a stoma, so that I don't understand, but I have heard of people getting bad infections from not keeping the stoma and around the stoma clean. Man, I hope you ask your doctor as that would worry me. So far, no problems and I have been showering with no bag for several months now and no problems. I'm also in the US and I guess you got taught the same stuff I did. Take care.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lottagelady

Hi, the rash you mention sounds to me as though you have an allergy to something you are using - maybe even the pouch itself? Is it the stoma itself that hurts or around the stoma which is hurting - as Jenny says, the stoma itself should be fine, though I do remember it all being tender around there post-surgery .....

Maybe ask the companies for samples of other products to try to see if that helps?

Take care, Rach xx

gutenberg
When I first got my stoma I developed a rash around it, hurt like hell everytime I changed the flange but by using the above mentioned soap and Hollister Adapt rings it cleared up in a matter of weeks. But this will not work for everybody, as we are all different and this is where trial and error comes into play, you'll figure it out soon. ED
jeaniefrances

I use stoma powder and put a dab of water to make a crust. That helps to protect the skin around the stoma. I also got a yeast infection around both stomas from a very strong antibiotic, but that has cleared up now...itched me to pieces. Also use skin barrier wipes when changing my bags. Jeanie Frances

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
TassieDevil

I also had a lot of similar problems. Tried all the above and eventually went to a smaller flange opening and that fixed it. Depending on when you measure your stoma, it changes in size a lot depending on how or when it last worked, so I found the smaller opening covered right up to the stoma as that was the smallest it got.

Cheers Tassie Devil

Beans_Momma322

I've only had my ostomy for a little over 3 months, so I'm not quite as knowledgeable as some people here, but I've had similar problems with my stoma. I shower every time I take my pouch off to try to keep the skin around my stoma as clean as possible, but I ALWAYS seem to have a rash that's about 1/3 inch wide around it. When my stoma is not active, it shrinks quite a bit, so the opening in my barrier has a lot of gaps. My output is mostly liquid, so it always gets in the gaps and irritates the skin pretty badly.

When I first had my ostomy, I had a tendency to measure the stoma when it was inactive and end up cutting the hole in the barrier too small, which ended up being the cause of the pain that I always seemed to end up with. I was also told that pain that seems to be coming from your stoma can mean that the stoma has detached from the skin or that there's some sort of blockage. In my case, the pain seemed to be a combination of decreased blood flow caused by decreased motility of my stoma and pressure from stuff backing up.

I hope you get some answers soon. I know how much of a pain it is to not only have these problems, but to not know why.

Past Member

Jeanie, I am with you, I had to learn how to perfect making the bag stay on and I finally did it without any trouble. But it was a challenge for me at first. I shower and dry real good and then I go to my sink and have my supplies and I use stoma powder and the wipe and do that three times then I use the stoma paste and use my fingers to push the bag around until it is on good, then I get a hospital glove and fill it with hot water not to burn but to set my bag. Good to go until my next shower, I guess we all have to find our secrets that work for us. I go in for a colonoscopy this month, I go in on the 20th to get the pills, I am afraid if they find anything that I am stuck with this. I never had any real colon problems except peritonitis from my gallbladder ten years ago. I pray that the blood I used to bleed after my daughter died was from hemorrhoids after meeting a new friend and I did go to nursing school. Now I am scared. I am learning to deal with whatever God puts on my back but I am praying I am healthy for the sake of my husband and two sons. I finally found a way to hide and deal with the bag, but I still want my reversal in October. Jeanie, I guess we all have to learn how to deal with our own bags and how to keep them secure and keep us from rashes and infections, thank God I never had cause it could be any one of us. Thank you Jeanie for always being here to give a helping hand, God bless, love in Christ's name, Jenny.

GACWOCN
Nurse
Ouch, I don't think you should still be hurting. The small bowel and colon are actually loaded with nerves, however, they don't transmit pain as we know it, so it should not be hurting. The skin is a different matter entirely and when traumatized can feel like a burn. Does the irritation mirror your wafer? Have you considered trying another brand wafer/pouch?
Other things to consider: Do you wear a hernia support belt and if so, is it causing too much pressure around the stoma? Do you use convexity? Do you use additives that could be a contributing factor such as sealants, wipes, pastes, seals, powders, or a heating pad? I am NOT saying to stop these products, I agree with Rach, I am thinking along the lines of allergy when used in combination?
Past Member

Good advice, love Jenny

shitzengiggles
Hey, don't know if I'm feeling the same flavor of pain. I relate it to the spots that were stitched (stoma to stomach). Kinda of a stinging, pulling? I notice it when I change my wafer or wipe around it. The rash sounds like an allergy or plain old "diaper rash" that a better fitting flange/wafer will cure. I recommend Convatec as I had the same problem until I switched to them. They last longer and I don't experience the seepage. Also, I stopped having to use all the other stuff on my skin. Actually, showering and letting the water gently clean your stoma is a bunch less irritating than scrubbing it. Remember, it's belly not butt!

Don't let it get too out of hand before you get it looked at. Good luck. Things will come around. Sue T
C Cogan

Hello all: Problem one is a pain behind the stoma, for which I would definitely see the doctor. They may want to do some additional tests. As for pain and red rash around the stoma, this can be a fungus for which I use a special powder and then a moist skin prep from Convatec. When I shower, I soap around the stoma with no ill effects. CSC