Dark Green Stool And Stomach Pain?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Faith4Today

I have a colostomy, I don't know if that makes a difference in the color of your stool. But usually the senna I take makes mine bright yellow. For 3 weeks now, I have stomach pain and dark green stool, haven't changed diet or drunk anything with dye. Any suggestions? The pain feels like a burning ulcer.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

three

Hi Faith4Today,

Pain is a signal for us to take action — not knowing what action to take is one of the most unpleasant parts of pain. I hope you have a doctor you trust who can work with you to isolate the action (if any) that's necessary.

I found many webpages concerning "green stools", and here's some information from one of those pages: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/gettingdiagnosed/a/green_stools.htm

The liver constantly secretes a bright green fluid called bile into the small intestine or it is stored in the gallbladder.
Bile is needed to absorb fats and fat-soluble vitamins. It also helps to soften stools and is responsible for giving stools their characteristic brown color.
As bile makes its way through the intestines, it progressively changes color from green to yellow to brown, due to the action of bacteria in the large intestine on the bile salts.
Green stool often indicates that food has passed through the intestines faster than normal (called decreased bowel transit time), before it could be changed from green to brown.
Diarrhea decreases bowel transit time, so any condition that causes diarrhea can result in green stool.
Other causes of green stool include:

Laxative use
Antibiotic use
Medication side effects
Food poisoning
Celiac disease
Ulcerative colitis
Crohn's disease
Malabsorption
Irritable bowel syndrome
Bacterial overgrowth
Infectious diarrhea - especially salmonella and giardia
Traveler's diarrhea
Cancer

Foods and supplements that can cause green stool include:

Chlorophyll
Iron supplements
Algae

Best wishes,
Three
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Three, not only are you good with art, that was some fast thinking and you are right on about the Doctor. I guess you won't shock me anymore as I have seen how smart you are and also how kind, thank you, Jenny.

three
Grazie tanto, Jenny.
gutenberg
Hi Faith, I had forgot about the green bile until I read your post. A few years back I used to have blockages (Ileostomy) and after things started working everything came out a watery dark green, also before I had my small intestine rerouted I would start vomiting and it was also this dark green, which I didn't want to dwell too much on, I mean Its one thing into the pouch but vomiting, quite another. This doctor who straightened out things for me was a real saint in my books, the pain from these blockages was unbearable, I still have times now where I get this green bile but no pain so its easy to live with, I do hope you get a handle on this cause your pain is screaming to be looked into, best of luck with this and keep us informed, Ok, Ed

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Pinky

Hi Faith - do you have to take Senna? A GI doctor told me Senna is not a good thing to take on a long-term basis as it is really too strong for the GI tract unless a person is on pain-killing drugs. Can you increase your fiber (fruits and veggies) instead? Having my colostomy has taken care of any of the constipation/blockage problems I had in the past.