Leaking Appliance

In this discussion
Replies
Views
JFlan

I have been having a terrible problem with my appliance leaking. I have been seeing an ostomy nurse but to no avail. I have two "dips" on each side of my ileostomy. That is where the leaks occur. I am currently wearing Convatec Durahesive wafers and pouches. I have tried other pouches, one-pieces, and used Eakin cohesive seals in whole and in pieces put into the dips. Sometimes I am having to change appliances a couple of times a day. I used to be able to keep them on for a week at a time. The biggest change is that I have gained weight. I am trying to take it off but need help now to solve this problem. If any of you can help, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jan

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Make sure the area around the stoma is thoroughly clean and use a non-perfumed soap such as Ivory. Also, try adhesive remover before applying the new Durahesive and Stomahesive paste to fill in the grooves. Excoriated skin that is raw can contribute to the lack of adhesion.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
baritone

Jan - I also have the weight problem and use both powder and skin prep wipes with every change. If you haven't already tried it, I found that the Hollister Adapt Barrier Rings hold up much better for me than Eakin Seals, and I use them with the Convatec Durahesive MOLDABLE CONVEX barriers. I get good "turtlenecking" with this combination which might help with your leakage. Good luck to you!
Jackie

junopete

Try stacking the Eakin seals. I know a couple of people that have to stack them as much as 4 deep. It seems to work for them.

Rick.....

ok girl

I am not familiar with Convatec. I have always used Hollister, but I'm sure they are quite similar. I had the same problem when I had my ileostomy. Do you use a convex flange? This might help along with the other barriers you use, like the other advice you got.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
artist

Jan... The surgeon put my stoma too close to my belly button, so I had the same leakage problem you've had. To solve the problem, I make sure that the surrounding skin is clean and dry, heat up the small Hollister Barrier Ring with an electric heating pad (really makes them soft), place the ring on my bag first, and it works great... lasts 3-4 days now. Good luck!

Bosco

I use a Coloplast Sensura and had a similar problem with a couple of small scars that left "dimples" right through the edge of the barrier. I put a tiny smear of paste on the "dip" and that helps but my latest addition I read on this website--"Sure Seal Rings".

I live in a hot climate and my barriers would never last more than 1-2 days. The Sure Seal Rings have doubled the time between having to change the barrier with no leakage. (They are a thin, clear "second skin" that goes on top of the barrier and cover about 2 inches beyond the barrier. Once applied it is invisible, allows oxygen to the skin--no irritation.) I remove the pouch and shower with just the barrier and the Sure Seal Ring every day and still get at least 4-5 days before a change. They are great!

lottagelady
Hi Bosco - Who makes these Sure Seal rings, please?
Rach xxx
beyondpar

It's called the Anneaux Sure Seal Ring. Edgepark is a distributor. I have some here in my car as we speak. If you can't find them, I will send them to you. Just let me know. Michael

www.edgepark.com, keyword Sure Seal. I believe they are made in France. Talk soon. Love, Michael
lottagelady
Hi Michael, I have found them .... looks like they are only available on your side of the pond though, and are only good for 2-piece appliances?

Here is the link for a free sample for anyone who would like to try in the US or Canada!

http://www.alpglobal.com/products.aspx

Rach xx
Bosco

Sorry, I did not see your post until now. The package is labeled "Active Lifestyle Products," but I, too, get all my supplies from Edgepark Item# ALRS0210. Previously, everything would come loose when I mow the yard because of heat and sweat. The seal I have on now I put on two days ago, showered twice, mowed the yard today, showered afterwards, and it looks like it is still good to go another day or two. It is great (for me)! Good luck!

xtra baggage
I was having the same problem, especially in the summer with the heat, sweat, and general activity. 1 to 4 days was all they would last. I switched to a snug Hollister convex barrier combined with a liquid adhesive and the 7805 Hollister barrier ring. Now I am getting 5 to 7 days with no leakage even using the hot tub a couple of times a week. I warm the ring on the vanity light while I shower, dry off real good, then use a skin prep, then apply a thin coat of liquid adhesive. I hit that with a hairdryer for about a minute, then apply the warm barrier ring to the barrier, then attach it to the skin and press for about a minute and presto, no worries for a few days. Hope this helps. It's taken 3 years of trial and error to come up with this process that works for me. Good luck.
butterfly48

I'm new at this. What I have learned is that it really depends on the output and how quickly
it comes out into the bag. So if the output is thick, I don't have as much leakage. When it
comes out fast and is more liquid, that's when I have more problems. So, therefore, I eat marsh
mellows, peanut butter, bananas, rice, etc. I really wish I could eat salads, but at this time
it causes too much gas, etc. I personally like the Adapt barrier rings from Hollister and also the barrier strips paste from Coloplast. They're a lot cheaper. The barrier strips can fill in any
dips; it seems to work. I like the Coloplast because they give you 20 bags a month so you can
change as often as you want and also use their Sensura Click Convex with the belt. Does anyone
know how to use baking soda for cleaning a bag? butterfly48

Past Member
Hi, Extra Baggage,
Which liquid adhesive do you use? Thanks.
xtra baggage

It's made by New Hope. Brown bottle with blue and white label. I bought it off eBay.

friendly

Where do you live?

Here in sunny Queensland where it reaches 39/40 degree heat, they just melt.

Anyone else experienced this?

sooziq

Going through the weight gain thing and the dip/indentation is there and I have had to change a few times a day since last Sunday! I have had an ileostomy for 33 years and it seems to be fine. Now this is starting? Do the adapt strips work better than the Eakin cohesive seals? Just am trying to figure out what to try if this leaking keeps up. Frustrating!
Thanks
SF

lottagelady

Hi Soozi - sorry you are having a rough time with it at the moment, becomes a vicious circle once it starts ... I have to say I find the Adapt rings easier to manage than the Eakin seals, I just seemed to make a mess with the Eakin ones! Good luck, Rach xx

sooziq

Ok, I will give it a try - have a few sent as samples, hope I do not need to try them tonight. About 11pm seems to be when it decides to leak!!
Sooziq

nessy

Pardon my ignorance on ileostomy, but would a support belt help?
Cheers Bob

sooziq

Have you ever used it before? I don't know.

nessy

Since I joined this site, I started using mine for my ostomy and find it helps. It keeps an even pressure on the sealing ring. Sorry, I don't know the difference between an ileostomy and ostomy, except location?
Cheers, Bob

sooziq

Guess there is no difference. My ostomy is from years of ulcerative colitis. I've had it for 33 years now. It works on its own, so I do not irrigate. I know it is different from a colostomy.

KennyT

Hey Bob, the term "ostomy" refers to the opening created to allow discharge of bodily waste. So, there is no difference really between an ileostomy, a colostomy, or, for that matter, a urostomy.
They are all ostomies, just created to serve different parts of the body.

nessy

Thanks Kenny, so would a support belt help to seal?
Cheers Bob

Past Member

There are differences in the ostomies. An ileostomy is in the smaller intestine, a colostomy is in the larger intestine, and a urostomy is for the urinary system. They all do the same job but can have different health issues associated with them.

beatrice

I find that the support belt helps hold the flange down with even pressure - and this can help with leaks.

mooza
Have you put on weight? Are you using Eakin gel? Put a little sachet, it turns the watery bit into a gel. It's a marvel. Can't remember the number, ask the associate. Eakin gel thickener, little baggies look like cocaine or something. It's great. Have you tried Coloplast Sensura shallow or deep base plate? I am using it. Weight issue, no worries. Hope you get the help. Not all stoma nurses are up to date. I tell mine or I give her a sample. It's not until I volunteer at the association that I found out more items, so nurses are not helping. You ring the companies, all of them. XX Mare.