Stoma Bleeding And Don't Know What To Do

Replies
Views
redbird

I need some advice about my stoma. The stoma is bleeding from the end and where it comes out of my body. I am on Coumadin. It is bleeding pretty bad and don't know how to stop it or help it heal. Has anyone ever used Vaseline gauze on it and know if that helps or does anyone know how to stop it?

itsallgood

I am also on blood thinners and mine does the same thing if I run a little high with my count. I can tell when I am up there because the stoma will bleed and does not like to be touched or it will bleed even more. I never have it bleed all the time though. Sometimes I cut the wafer hole a little bigger so it doesn't rub the stoma. I also put stoma paste around it to help keep its distance and/or rubbing when active. I would see my nurse though if it just wants to bleed all the time and see if there is something they can do due to the blood thinner not helping the situation. Hope I helped.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

airforce1

I have the same problem. My stoma nurse gave me half moons. I call them the go-around the bottom of the stoma. If it's too bad, you need to get it checked.

Mystified
I too, had an emergency ileostomy which I had no idea that I had surgery to begin with until I woke up and started asking some questions of the nurses and my doctor. After being in the hospital the entire month of August, I was sent home not knowing what I was supposed to do.

I had home healthcare for 3 weeks and then went back into the hospital for another brief stay. Then after I had been home for a few days, I was back in the hospital. After that, I had home healthcare for another 3 weeks.

My problem now is that my stoma is and has been bleeding either at the top or the side. Yesterday and this morning, I had total leakage, I had to change everything. After getting cleaned up the third time, I accidentally stuck my fingernail in the side of the stoma and now it is bleeding. What do I do?
jjhallowell
Stomal bleeding should normally cease within 10 minutes if, after applying the drainage bag, an ice cube is held over the area of the stomal bleeding. If the bleeding does not cease in this amount of time and especially if you are on blood thinners, report to the ER. They may prescribe and teach you to use silver nitrate sticks to cauterize the area of stomal bleeding. The best way to control bleeding is to prevent it in the first place.

The second responder correctly stated that if the wafer hole is cut too tight, then it may cut your stoma, especially if the wafer you are using is not soft and is sharp when you cut it to fit. This is true if you have a stoma that protrudes at times and at others is more normal appearing, only 1/2" to 3/4" high. In this case, one needs to carefully note where the stoma begins and the skin ends. Basically, this is at the discoloration line, or when the stoma appears more normal, not protruding.
John H. RN Enterostomal Therapist

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
car1951

Whatever you do - don't use Vaseline gauze. The wafer won't stick if you do and your troubles will be multiplied. Contact your doctor!