Had Hartmann's Procedure Done But

In this discussion
Replies
Views
elli bean
Well, last month I was on here asking about complications associated with the Hartmann's procedure... I had my surgery last week. The takedown of the transverse loop went fine, and they created an end sigmoid colostomy... but it's not emptying. At first, I thought it was swollen shut and having a hard time for that reason (it was passing some gas and a little stool but not much). Now though, I haven't passed gas for about 20 hours and no stool either. I can feel the bowel moving and contracting, and it's like a really bad cramp, and I feel a bit sick to my stomach, like I need to go but it's not happening. One side of the stoma bulges out a bit like it's meant to, but the other side not so much. When my bowel contracts as if to have a movement, that one half of the stoma disappears inside me, and it looks like the stitches are pulled taut. The bowel feels as if it is under constant tension like it is too short to reach the opening in my belly. I would assume this must be the case except that only half of the stoma disappears like this, and I noticed it a few days after the surgery and not immediately. I'm not just bloated either, my belly has actually shrunken while I was in the hospital due to me not being able to pig out like I tend to. What might this be?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,088 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lottagelady

Hi Elli Bean - sounds a bit dodgy to me .... think a trip back to the hospital may be called for as there may be a blockage .... ? Hope not, but if you are in a lot of pain and have been eating okay up until recently and nothing is shifting, then better to be safe, etc .....
Rach xxx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
elli bean

Thanks lottagelady, I have since had a small movement...but also noticed that when it retracts (whenever it is touched or when I feel it needs to empty) it turns dark and cold...not black dark, sort of super dark purply red, and it doesn't stay like that always but the blood flow is getting bad. Also noticed it always appears that a bit of ick is just at the opening but it doesn't go anywhere. I think I will see if my dad is up to a trip back to the hospital, but it's not nearby and waiting time can be pretty long....so I better be prepared for him to be ticked off...

lottagelady

Just another thought - can you call your ostomy nurse ... if, of course, you even have one????
Rach xoxoxo

Past Member

Hey, even if you have output, it can still be a blockage. I had a reversal 2 weeks ago, and I passed a decent amount of stool two days in a row. But the next day, I had to go to the hospital because I was in so much pain. It turned out to be a partial blockage that was pushing against scar tissue. Try not eating food and just drinking liquids if you can't get to the hospital. Try not to take anything for the pain because it can constipate you.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Tiggy

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Bluezz
Hi there,
I had that surgery 6 months ago and noticed the disappearing stoma and different shape of the stoma on one side only a few months ago. It seems to make sense that you're not outputting like "normal" would be due to your lack of solid foods and the bowels trying to work again. I also see color change with my stoma, sometimes it looks red and sometimes more pinkish. I wonder if your pain is associated with the surgery and the inflammation still present from all manipulation that was done in your gut? I am no stranger to blockages either, as I had one before this surgery and was still running to the bathroom. But I can say I knew something was up because it was uncontrollable and pure water/crap! I think it is a great idea to call the surgeon or nurse before ticking off dad. I know it is hard on our parent(s) to help out all the time, yet they know in their hearts you need them! HA.. even when you are as old as me! I hope things all work out for the better and your worries are laid to rest soon.