12,406 members   113,405 exchanged messages   49,810 forum posts
Advertisement
Currently online
0 visitors
Featured topic
Are there any members here that would like to chat about being bisexual or being in an unconventional marriage? I know this is a long shot ...
Advertisement
Stomaplex - ostomy belts and stoma guards
Latest Topics
Is it really the other ones...

Views: 55 Replies: 1

Ostomy Bag issues, hacks an...

Views: 122 Replies: 2

Ostomy Troub

Views: 120 Replies: 2

Fix for odor (Hollister pro...

Views: 190 Replies: 8

Blood in Bag

Views: 168 Replies: 4

Clothing

Views: 132 Replies: 1

Just for Laughs
View unanswered forum posts
Advertisement
Stomaplex - ostomy belts and stoma guards
Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator
Pain and pressure at backside.........
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community
  • 5,161 members interested in a relationship
  • 11,073 members looking for support
  • 113,405 exchanged private messages
  • 49,810 forum posts
  • 1234 blogs
  • 67 nurses
Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special
MeetAnOstoMate.org

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:27 pm
Has anyone out there who has a permanent ileostomy and you get so much pressure and a pain shooting up your rectum while just standing there where it literally makes you drop and brings tears to your eyes??

I have been getting these shooting pains one once a week  or once every two weeks   Embarassed  It puts me in a sweat and it only lasts from a moment to maybe three, but there is such pressure where I feel that something needs to evacuate, and sometimes some feces do come out! The family doctor doesn't know what to tell me! I was once told that I was stappled shut back there, so I don't know!
I am wondering if anyone elce has experienced this before and what the cause is or is this something else we must live with!
Thankyou for reading this post and please if you know of any answers please let me know!  Wink

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:51 pm
I have had an ileo for more than 30 years & occasionally get phantom pains, and dreams of defecating.
Sometimes when I sneeze it is even now very painful.
But my rectum & anus are removed and very certainly I'm stitched up back there.
If people have limbs amputated they sometimes complain of phantom pains-- so perhaps we are the same.
any way good luck.

Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:12 am
Hi Sharon,i too have had them.I am an ileostomate of 3 yrs,and let me tell u,,having a baby has nothing on this pain.I got a cold a few mths after and the coughing actually brought on the first one,so i put it down to too much pressure on things in the tummy maybe.Then when the second one hit--it felt like a ball of rock(a big one)was making its way thru my intestines.This was making its way down to my Stanley my stoma,, then it felt like something really big was being forced out thru Stanley.The bag

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:24 am
Back pain comes in two forms, acute and chronic like Acute pain comes on suddenly and intensely and Chronic pain is recurring. back pain is preventable so don't be worried. For most people, drugs work well to control pain and discomfort. But any medication can have side effects.

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:54 am
Thanks for ur comments , im not sure on Sharons pain but i can gaurantee this is no back pain...this pain is travelling....just because it seems to start somewhere back there!!lol...its not from a bad back...bad backside maybe..but hey i havent had them for a little while ..keep fingers crossed...but i know what u mean sharon..let u know if i find out what it is..cya  seasons greetings to all

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:58 pm
Hi Sharon.....yes, yes...yes.
I know exactly what you mean. Sorry you have experienced this but thank goodness I'm not the only person on this planet who has experienced it.
The pain shoots up my redundant rectum like something demented.
Then I have felt like I was going to lay an Elephant. No chance of that as after my permanent Ileostomy I was all sewn up there.
My Doctor was no help at all so I just prey it doesn't happen too often.
I'm sorry I haven't any answer.
It's a while since you posted this message.....is it still happening to you?
I do hope not.
Butterfly

Last edited by Butterfly on Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:00 pm
Hi Sharon

Do you mean after proctectomy? i used to get these pains when i had my temp ileostomy and i had them for about 6 months after my proctectomy which where apparentky phantom pains (didnt feel very phantom lol)
Hope they ease soon x

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:55 pm
Just to let you know that I too get that pain up the back side.  It is the worst pain of all.  I have suppositories that I use, but the pain comes on so quick that it is too late to use them.  I don't know exactly what causes this.  I have a rectal shute and that is where it is stapled closed.  If you find a solution please let me know.  Thank you. Embarassed

Last edited by lisam3 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:40 pm
sharon,
I get that too every once in a while. I think it is a spasm of some sort in the colon.

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:27 pm

mercutio wrote:
sharon,
I get that too every once in a while. I think it is a spasm of some sort in the colon.

Mercutio: I don't have any colon left.  I have an ileostomy.  That means that all the colon has been removed.  Still have the rectum though.  The pain is just horrific.  Doesn't last long but while it is happening it takes you to the floor.  I don't believe it is phantom pain either.  It has something to do with where the surgeon cut the colon from the rectum. Embarassed

Last edited by lisam3 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:49 am
hi there, i am an ileostomate with my colon still.I also experienced that pain in the early stages of getting this nightmare...Now almost 4 yrs on and i dont get it any more...So i do think it was phantom pain....no doctor could tell me..Guess no doctor has one of these then..thats why they know so little..How can u if u never had one...thanks..good luck

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:00 pm
hi i dont no exactly how helpful this wil be but i have experienced the exact pains your mentionin.

i am still only a temp ileostomate, i was told that because mine is a loop ileo it has something to do wiv the left-over feaces leaking from the colon and this builds up into stooles.

dont take this as a fact because it has not been proved yet.

hope this helps a bit.

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:55 pm
Sharon,

I have an ileostomy for 29 years. I can assure you that I know exactly what you mean by that rectal pain. It is very disconcerting. It appears from out of the blue and can last for a variable amount of time. I really don't know what the cause is. (I have some theories, but I won't bore you with them). The lower abdominal pain that originates from the lower back and radiates to the front and can last for a considerable amount of time could be the result of a bolus cramp. What happens here is that you have eaten too much roughage such as raw carrots, peanuts and things like that. Usually, you just have to wait this out. I have had some really bad ones over the years. Be careful with your food combos.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:06 am
Hi, I still have most of my colon but have experienced a similar pain quite often. I was originally told that as I still had my rectum that I would occassionally feel the need to pass some mucus. However a few weeks after my surgery there was still no sign of mucus and the pain and pressure in my lower back and rectum area was severe. I decided to irrigate my back passage and I passed several very large stone like lumps. I have quite a bit of medical training and the only thing I can imagine is that these were lumps of hardened mucus. The relief was immediate. The pain and the pressure will start to build up again usually once a week or so. When it happens now I use a gylcerine supository and this usually clears all out and does the trick  : Wink

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:30 pm
I have an ileostomy & still have my stapled shut rectum. When I was still experiencing bad pains there after my surgery I consulted my surgeon. He told me that, even tho I'd had my colon removed I still had some UC in my rectum. That may be what's causing your pain. If you're like me it will occur less & less frequently as time goes on. Good luck.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.
G-ads
Go to page: 1, 2  Next
Other topics