Disability Tax Credit For Canadians

In this discussion
Replies
Views
nessy
Disability Tax credit for Cdns, just to let you know people with ostomies can apply for this, it around a $7,000 tax credit, and can be back dated. Take the form to your Dr, and ask him to sign it. here's the website.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2201/

Cheers Bob
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
It's $7,225.00 for 2010. It gets put under non-refundable tax credits, but it still helps lower your taxes. My doctor filled out the form last year and they needed more information from him and I didn't know until 3 months later when I called to check on the status of it. He still had the letter sitting in my folder in his office. So I had to make an appointment to go in so he could fill it in. He gave it back to me and I sent it right in to Revenue Canada, hoping they would still approve me, because it was 2 months past the due date they put on it. Luckily, it was accepted and they approved me for 2010 to 2013. I need to call and see if I can get it back dated for 2009. I hope any Canadians will apply for this. It does help.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy
What a disappointment. I was looking forward to that credit but I guess I would have to migrate north. Washington is all tax and spend now. Forget about any more tax credits in the USA.
budd002
I was approved as well from 2000- 2010 However only got credit for 2 of those years that I was working. I also didnt get any refund nor did it make a difference on my taxes. Maybe this year it will since I made more...?? It took them 21 weeks to process my forms.
Past Member
I'm glad to hear that you got approved budd and for all those years. I am on CPP Disability and it is taxable, so this credit helped me. Also on WSIB pension, which is not taxable.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
MrBillYTO
Thanks for this info Bob. I am printing out the form as I type this and will be taking it to my doctor to see what he says.
Worth a shot!
lynsie
thanks for the info; ordered forms online - new ilesotomy since aug.2010, hopefully arrive before a doc.appt at end of march
lynsie
nessy
You're quite welcome
You shouldn't have any problem qualifying. To tell the truth I forgot about it and unsure if the gal that did our taxes last year submitted it just remember to renew it evry 5 yrs.
Cheers Bob
funnygurl
Revenue canada is difficult to deal with in my experience. I had to submit the claim twice bcause the forms changed every couple of months. My doctor was a trooper, however, and filled them out until they finally accepted my claim. Just refiled again after 5 years was up. Website says it can take months to get approval. I know several people who were rejected and did not reapply (felt it wasn't worth the aggravation). That is a mistake. Persistence pays.
Past Member
Hey Bob, is this different from being on LTD from your work? I don't really understand. I've been off since 2008. Ostomy since 2009. Can you explain to me please? I did order the forms just know. thanks
Irene
nessy
Funnygurl, you're correct about re-applying and being persistent.

Betty, it works similiar to your basic exemption, in that you won't pay tax on $7225 of your income, if that makes sense ? Could be worth $2000.00 or so, depending on your earnings etc.
IIRC it goes on line 126 or 136 of your tax form.
You should be able to download the forms also.

Cheers Bob
Holly
Can anyone with an ostomy claim this or do you have to be disabled?
nessy
Hi Holly, in my opinion, anyone with an ostomy can claim for the tax credit.

Cheers Bob
Holly
Thanks Bob I'll have to take the form to my Dr.
mooza
dohhh may i hav some money am in australia havnt had a 'proper paying job since 2001 wow couldnt believe it my self i deserve it to hun how could i get it here sue the government for pollution hahahah gimme gimmeeeeeeeeee pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee mare moozaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
dee05
Is this tax credit for those who are on full disability......
nessy

Not sure what quot;full disability quot; is ? Do you mean CPP disability ?

Cheers Bob
funnygurl
I just received a letter from Revenue Canada because I sent in a t2201 disability tax credit applcation. I read on-line that they have to be renewed every 5 years. A friend who has exactly the same ostomy as I do got notice that hers had to be renewed. I assumed my mine was also up for renewal. I had the forms filled out and mailed them in. Voila, it turns out I am approved forever or until they ask me to reapply. They told me to stop sending applications, "you don't need to".

5 years ago my friend and i took identical forms to the same dr and she filled them out in our presence. They were identical. We have the same disability and same situation. She was only approved for 5 years, I am approved indefinitely. She also sent a very long letter with her application detailing her problems and issues. I did not.

Call me Pollyanna. I thought they had a list of criteria on which they based their decisions. I believed that there was a consistency to their decisons. Clearly there is not. It must depend on who reviews your application and what mood they are in that day. As a taxpayer this makes me mad. As the lucky winner who never has to fill out stupid forms in triplicate and waste my dr's time and my money I am elated. I don't know whether to have a party or write a letter to Revenue Canada and ask them if they have any clue what they are doing. This is why if you are refused the first time--reapply and appeal. There must be a big roulette wheel that they spin and where it stops nobody knows---least of all Revenue Canada.
Frenchie55
So, are you saying that a person who is working full time is still entitled to this tax credit???? I just read the form and it appears that if you're able to take care of your own appliance, you don't qualify. Maybe, people who take care of their own and work could let me know if it worked for you as I would love to apply for it.
peter_saskatoon
There was a good write-up about the Canadian Disability Tax credit in the May, 2010 UOAConnection.

Here is a link to the article. Go to page 3:

http://www.ostomycanada.ca/user_files/pdf/UOAConnection%20May%202010.pdf
nessy
I'm not sure Frenchie ? I would apply for it anyway, and see what happens.
Thanks Peter, good article.

Cheers Bob
funnygurl
I worked as a high school teacher for several years after getting my ostomy and have had the tax credit in place since 2004. It is not about whether you are able to work or take care of yourself. It is about the extra time it takes to change flanges, pouches, order supplies, pick them up, deal with skin problems etc. It complicates your life even when you take care of yourself. The form T2201 available from Revenue Canada explains the grounds for a claim under the bowel and elimination disabilities section of the form. I cope well and live on my own but it does take more time to do things when you have an ostomy.It saves me about $2000.00 a year. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2201/README.html
Frenchie55

Thanks for answering, I will get one filled out by my doctor.

Frenchie55

Thanks Bob

nessy
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, if you qualify, they will back date it

Cheers Bob
Frenchie55

Thanks Bob, I've had an ostomy since 99 but I doubt they will go back that far. Is there something on the form that I should make a point to add????

Frenchie

nessy
I seem to recall they go back to 2005 when the credit was initiated. You needn't add anything, I think the key to it is your Dr's signature.
Cheers Bob
nogutz
Hello all;

;I did this about a year ago. And after I was approved, I then applied, And they went back to about 04.My thinking is they will go back 10 years. And you do have to tell them how your illness cost you extra time each day.So its like we have tax free poop!

ogutz
ron in mich
mooza you rock. ron in mich.
gutenberg
Just keep in mind you have to give your doctor something to work with, like sometimes you may need help changing your flange, you need someone to help you into and out of the shower/bath, the long times it takes to do these things alone, just saying you have an ostomy might not go too far, be a little creative. When I applied for mine I was on CPP dis-ability and it made no difference, so good luck all, Ed