Bag Change Time

In this discussion
Replies
Views
kbd
I'm wondering how often do you change the drainable bags?
I'm going 3-4 days on average. I generally will take off the old bag after three days, shower and clean up the flange area which is usually a mess by then, then put on the new bag. I use a two piece bag system.
KBD
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Snowwhite
Hi. Everyone seems to be different. It depends on many factors. I have very liquid stool and my wafer lasts about 24 hours. I usually change every day and sometimes push it to 2 days. Look for rednes, itching, effluent on the wafer when you take it off, body odor on the wafer, filter dry or wet, how often you empty, what you can afford, pressure sores around the stoma. All these things are individual and if you keep these things in mind, you should feel good about your wear time. Anybody add anything else? I am on brain vacation today...lol
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
MarkP
Where you live can also have an effect as if you sweat a lot the base may loosen and need replacing earlier.
PJT
Everyone's different kbd, but I usually change about every 5 days. Right now it's kind of hot and sticky here in NY so I might not make it that long this time.
Xerxes
I change mine on the average of every 3-4 days. This, of course, depends on several factors as highlighted by others who have responded.

X_

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Primeboy
I could probably get by every five days even though I have a high liquid output; but why take chances? I am pretty much a 3-4 day changer now depending on how active I am and hot how the weather is. I sure hope they don't make any changes to Medicare because this stuff is pretty expensive.
kbd
It is hot in Ohio right now and I wondered if that might affect the length of time the wafer can stay on. I change the wafer about 4-6 days depending on how much the thing starts itching. Right now it is itching more, probably because of the hot weather. I do worry about the skin around the stoma getting irritated.
KBD
bes0642
If I get a good collar seal around the stoma. (which I generally do) I can go 10 to 14 days with the same bag. I live in HOT Texas. However, this time is reduced if I do a lot of work outside and sweat. Hope everyone has a great day. Bob
sooziq
So Medicare will pay some? Have few years before I get there just wondering as our insurance just keeps going up and paying less! Of course they can change Medicare any time but for now?
Thanks
bes0642
Right now Medicare pays 100% for 20 bags a month. However, with these idiots in Washington messing with health care there's no telling how they will mess it up. Keep your fingers crossed. Have a good day. Bob
n4christmas
Hello, to answer your question, I have had my ostomy for 28 years and I change my appliance every 5th day and put a new system on. I use Convatec's two piece wafer and bag and I have not had many problems other than I once had Impetigo which is a bacterial infection under where the tape goes and I had to cut all of the tape off and use medicine to clear it up. Because of this, I don't think it is wise to go very long without changing everything. I understand how expensive the products are but you are going to have your ostomy for a long time and I know now it is important to take care of the skin under the wafer and the bag. NAW
hdmazing
I've been using Convatec Sur-Fit Natura Moldable Durahesive skin barrier(411806) 2 piece and the wafer last me at least 10 days and could go longer without a problem but 10 days is the max for me. Although I make it a point to rinse the inside of the bag everytime I empty even when I am travelling. I just came back from Ohio and the hot weather there
did not affect my skin barrier whatsoever. I started using this barrier several months ago
after trying other bags from convatec, hollister, etc. because of allergic reaction to the adhesives. Never had a problem since then. I have a permanent ileostomy from a permanent colostomy due to colorectal cancer. Hope this info helps.
hdmazing
Hi snowwhite,

Try convatec sur-fit natura moldable durahesive skin barrier, this may last longer in your case if they are available in Canada, which I am pretty sure they are. I too have an ileostomy with liquid discharge so maybe this would help. Good luck.
kbd
Thanks everyone for the info. I did not know Medicare allowed for 20 bags a month, I'd wondered about that. I'm amazed at how long some of you good people can wear the wafer. I've been afraid to try it more than a week, and usually change around every 5 days. So much junk builds up on the wafer after around 3 days that I usually take a shower with the bag off on the 3rd day just to clean the wafer and reduce odor problems. I'm finding that putting a few tic tacs in the bag helps eliminate odor. That was a brilliant idea, though I can only imagine the person who came up with this idea one day thinking to themselves that they really ought to put tic tacs in their ostomy bag Brilliant idea that works.
KBD
bes0642
KBD I should have more precise in my answer. Medicare allows for 20 drain-able bags or 60 closed bags a month. Have a great day. Bob
kbd
Thanks Bob!
KBD
Past Member
Do any of you know of or use the disposable insert bags? I use a closed pouch (had a colostomy due to anal cancer) but find that using the liner bags allows you to do a quick cleanup/disposal when you quickly want to go somewhere don't want to dispose of a new bag -or- go through the whole system of changing bags.

Try checking out Colo-Majic Enterprises.
Tel: (604)904-0494
Free Toll: 1-866-611-6028
Fax:(604)904-0379

p/s - I don't work for them!!
valleyjohn
For unknown reason, the two-piece wafers adhre about twice as long [8 days or so] as do the one pece bags. I use the Convatec Natura eseries for both
Past Member
I guess it was a really good thing that I had my reversal when I did, cause I used to change my bag about every 2 days. But I had an excelllent nurse that came by the house and checked on me twice a week and he always brought me some extra bags, Other wise bankruptcy would have loomed up for my future.But I always had a hellva time getting the wafers to stick. I think that was the worst thing about the whole experience
stinkbait
I have been using Convatec Nutra Stomahesive wafer (p/n 125271) and drainable pouch (p/n 413334) and getting seven days between changes. I live in Oklahoma, And its been running over 100 degrees here most of the summer. I do a lot of work in the yard and if I sweat a lot I have noticed a order before I get any leakage. I tried a lot of other appliances before I settled on ConvaTec.