Cox’s Bazar-the longest n...

Views: 78 Replies: 3

Air travel with an ostomy

Views: 77 Replies: 2

Ostomy & vomiting

Views: 58 Replies: 1

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator   It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher   Anatomical Apron

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Immodium or loperamide?

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,399 members interested in a relationship

9,646 members looking for support

102,333 exchanged private messages

45,892 forum posts

1,208 blogs

63 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Questions not related to ostomy

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
 ~traci~

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Immodium or loperamide? Reply with quote

I was told by a doctor that it was dangerous for ostomy patients to use Immodium or Loperamide . Has anyone ever heard this? If so Why cant we? Im trying to slow down the liuid stools so I dont get dehydrated? any hints or tips???
 krbg11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my stoma nurses reccomended eating salty chips and other types of absorbing foods to help slow things a bit have you tried that? they also told me to stay away from things like imodium but im  ot sure why exactly
 Bill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello traci,
Many years ago I had a long discussion with one of my consultants about the fact that Immodium in tablet form was too much for me so she prescribed Loperamide in liquid form so that I could make the necessary adjustments for myself.   I made accurate measures of it by using a 5ml syringe with minor measurements on the side.(she also provided this)   The reasons for caution on these drugs is obvious as they can cause severe constipation (blockages) very quickly.  However, if you know how your body reacts and you know what effect your diet has, I cannot see any reason why this shouldn't be an answer to the problem of looseness.  As with all these things it is as well to discuss the problems and possible solutions with the doctors first.   However, if you are confident within yourself about the whole matter then any 'reasonable' medical person should  allow for some experimentation.   On a personal level, by the time I have explained to them all my previous experiementations and gadgets I have made, along with a detailed explantion of the successes and failures, I find that they are only too willing to let me 'play' with the drugs as an alternative.  
Best wishes    Bill
 littlewheel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the doc say why? I had my ileo over 20 years ago, and have taken it ever since.
 g

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did they say why ?? i take between 6 and 8 loperimide a day to help things happen to tend to get used to your body and no when to in crease or decrease amount hun never done me any harm
hope this helps
g x
 Primeboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been taking up to 8 pills of Imodium (a brand name for loperimide) for years. I took it when I had UC, when I had a J-Pouch, and now with an ileostomy. None of my GI docs ever questioned it. I also took it in conjunction with lomotil and, more recently, with DTO. Almost all my output is liquid so I took it in hopes of cutting down on dehydration. Anyway, after 18 months as an ileostomate, I decided to stop taking loperimide because I felt it was not making that much of a difference with my liquid output. A funny thing then happened. I started to lose a little weight, not much, but maybe 2 pounds a month. I guess the loperimide kept the nutrients (and the bad carbs) in my system a little longer than needed. In all my years taking the drug, I never had any issues with blockage or constipation. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this drug other than if it works use it; if not, don't.   PB
 DH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My doctor recommended that I take imodium for my diarrhea because it's one of the side effects of my chemo.
 banshie3by5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the similiar reasons as to why IBD folks aren't suppossed to take asprin or NSAIDS anymore, it's about gut-health.  It also depends on which doctor you ask.  See Wikipedia's defn of Loperamide for a full explaintion regarding contradictions and adverse effects.

Rather than using another chemical medicine, It is better to use absorbing foods such as saltine crackers and minute rice, according to nursing studies in relation to both colo- & ileo- ostomates.  

And, again, it's a matter of personal belief.
 Sandy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was prescribed loperimide
by my doctor for the loose stool ,I stopped taking it because,it caused cramping to my stomach.
 ccurtains

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice helps a little.  But I discovered by accident, that eating 2 or 3 marshmellows also slowed down the flow for a few hours.  Worth a try.
 lilac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not certain why your doctor has told you that, perhaps it is different depending on your situation, I had my colostomy 6 yrs ago and have been taking antidiarrhea meds since. I can take up to 12 per day. I also use codeine to stop the loose movements. Diarrhea is directly related to the foods eaten. The more starch (bread, potato, pasta, bagels, rice) the more solid the stool. I find that low fat triscuit crackers help alot, I eat them throughout the day.  Having constant loose stools creates so many problems with skin irritation and low potassium (causing a racing heart) that it has to be controled some way and it was through alot of trial and error that I have finally managed to control it.  Watch your gasey vegetables and fruits as well, they do not fair well with me.  If at any time I can be of help to you let me know, it will  be a long hard road but if you learn to be aware of everything you eat and eliminate those things that bother you too can prevail.  (Also be very careful with fats, I cannot tolerate mayonnaise or oils) Good Luck       Nikki
 hometown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this helps you.  I was suffering with profuse diarreah during chemo, and I kept waiting for it to go away on its own.  Well I was so weak I could hardly get out of bed before I made a phone call to my oncologist.  I told him I had at least 15 all liquid pass in the bag and how i was so weak.  He told me to take immodium and if need be i could take up to 10 in a day.  I guess all doctors have their own way of treating this condition, but the immodium did slow down the diarreah for me and no side affects.  I hope this information helps you     Joyce
 Optimist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm my ostomy nurse and doctor told me to take it and said it was perfectly safe (if you don't go over the daily limit)... i've never heard of it being bad for gut health, ever. i know nsaids can be bad, like advil, but i have never heard of lomotil or immodium being a problem. i have tried just changing my diet and it is not enough. i have to take two each morning and two each night. (it is a cumulative effect so i can miss a dose and it's not that big of a deal, but if i stop for a long time then it takes a few days to get back on track).  it makes a huge difference for me in the number of times i use the bathroom and also it makes output less watery so the bag doesn't do the instant fill ups and leaks are less of a disaster (but i've only had a couple anyways).
 Lecia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken immodium only if I have diarrhea. Lately though I haven't had it. Sometimes I go on a BRATT diet which is Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, and Tea. I Eat Bananas and apples every day. I haven't heard that immodium is a nono. My dr. suggested Milk of Magnesia. I didn't like the taste and it really didn't help me. In the morning I wake up with a bagful of ,what looks like chestnuts. I also eat a lot of salads and instead of tomatoes I cut up an apple.Tomatoes,seeds and dairy products are a nono for me.So I buy Lactose free milk.and instead of ice cream I buy frozen fruit bars.I hope this helps you.Also go online to Ostomy Nutrition. It gives you things you can have and things to avoid. Also it tells you the culprits that cause diarrhea and how to relieve constipation.
I hope you print this all out so you have it on hand.
 Bunkie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is ok to take as I took it in the beginning to slow things down during the day so I didn't have to empty so often..But now I have problems with adhessions and blockages so I stopped. If you have no problems with food or blockages it is fine..Now I can only eat soft purified foods as everything gets stuck. I already had a surgery for a full blockage as the adhesions strangled my intestines right up to the stoma..very painful..now I get partial blockages so I don't take it..I have to deal with the watery stools..I sometimes add ebsorbent packets in the bag..this helps alot

Go to page: 1, 2  Next

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Questions not related to ostomy All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: