No Output After Colostomy Surgery, Should I Be Concerned?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses concerns and advice related to experiencing no output after colostomy surgery.
florajo

I had emergency surgery a week ago. I had a portion of my colon removed due to rupture from diverticulitis. I was released from the hospital on Friday with only a small amount of liquid output from the stoma. Since I've been home, I have been eating more solid foods but there has been absolutely no output, besides a small amount of gas. I have a terrible appetite because I feel too full to eat. How long does it take to see output? I still have cramps and some abdominal pain, but my incision is still pretty fresh. Should I be concerned about no output for 3 days while continuing to eat?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ironmike

Florajo, I would not be concerned at this point. Remember, you came home on an empty tank and you still have most or part of your large intestine through which the little food you have eaten must travel. I have an ileostomy and came home after not eating by mouth for 6 weeks and without the large intestine. It took me weeks to regain a close-to-normal intake of food. Bag output initially was liquidy and I incurred some severe cramps during the first 2 weeks while my intestinal engine tried to restart itself, having been devoid of solids for a long time.
It'll crank back up in its own time notwithstanding any unknown obstruction. The initial weeks of recovery require rest and patience.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
florajo

Thanks for your reply, ironmike. I can't help feeling concerned because I don't know what is normal at this point. I plan to call my ostomy nurse in the morning for more reassurance.

Past Member
Florajo,

I have learned many things from people here on this site. I came home from surgery (diverticulitis emergency) with no information and no knowledge. Perhaps the most important thing I have learned is that there is no 'one' normal. We each move toward our own understanding of what is our personal normal. After a year and a half, I am just beginning to understand what works for me.

I have to take a stool softener regularly to keep things moving. I am sure there are good logical reasons - but the bottom line is that it works for me.

I did find lists online of foods that produce more firm stool and less firm stool. Ileostomy is very different and everything is liquid.

I think it is too soon to know what your normal is, but 3 days??? It might be time to contact someone from your team.... doctor or nurse. Sometimes it is difficult to get things moving. Your entire system has been traumatized. They gave me warm prune juice in the hospital - a few times.

Good luck and stay in touch - there is always someone to offer support.

Carol
florajo

Thank you, Carol. I tried to call someone today, but I didn't have any luck on a holiday. Hopefully, I can get through tomorrow. I have so many concerns and so few answers. It's helpful to communicate with someone who has been through a similar experience.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Florajo is correct when saying that what is normal for one person may not be for another. I myself would not eat my normal diet for a while. You are still tender with your new surgery and would not want to get backed up or constipated and put any kind of pressure or stress on it for a good month. I'd rather be overly cautious than not. My first few movements were soft but painful for me and stayed like that the entire time I had mine. Take it slow and easy and check with your doctor and dietician, I say.

florajo

Thanks. I am definitely tender and keeping a very liquid/soft diet until things start moving better. I've had really bad cramping and no appetite. Will I ever get my appetite back?

Ironmike

Absolutely! Be patient. It takes a few months. Stay as active as your energy will allow and that appetite will return, albeit slowly.

Wilski

You need to walk more. Walking will stimulate your bowels to go. Also, try Colace. Good luck.

susjs

I'm viewing your post and responses that started in January - it's now March. I'm really curious as to what has happened to you. My experience was so different than the replies you were getting. What happened to me was that two weeks after the original surgery, the first stoma (from emergency surgery for a rupture due to diverticulitis and resulting peritonitis) started leaking - I had no appetite and had no output. I was still in the hospital because of the peritonitis. My doc was mad at me because I wasn't eating. Then they realized that the stoma was leaking and that I was back into peritonitis. In I went for another emergency surgery - removed all my colon and created a new stoma on the other side of my abdomen. Once that was done and I was out of ICU, my appetite began to come back and the output was fine. After two months in the hospital and two in rehab, I finally came home. It's been almost two years, but I am still recovering.

jakie

Are you drinking enough fluids? Walking is also good and moves things around. Otherwise, you may end up with an obstruction. Sometimes while I sit on the stool, I will massage my stomach and usually have some liquid stool. I have never had cramps or abdominal pain, however. Just a full, bloated feeling with little output and a lot of gas.