Need Advice On Clothing To Conceal Ostomy Bag?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
lanabana

Hi, I have read several different posts in which people recommend different Yummie Tummie products, Spanx products, and other things such as this. I am not sure which one to get or which one works best and these are things I don't think you can try on. My main issue is that when my bag starts to fill up, it's all at the bottom area and getting fatter and fatter. Also, when I wear jeans, the surgeon and WCON said to make sure the stoma is above the jeans, which is fine, but sometimes it doesn't work as well and different people have suggested wearing a Spanx tank (longer one). Does anyone have more specific advice or more suggestions, even if you have told me before?

Thanks, Elena

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

notexpectingthis

Ostomysecrets.com has a classic wrap that is awesome to smooth and flatten things out. Comes in black, white, and tan - it's a real life saver and very reasonably priced! Washes great!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
DeanRox

Phoenix makes an ostomy belt that is great. It is a little hard to conceal under tight clothes, but it is very comfortable. It is flesh tone and has a slick system for controlling the bag and concealing it. I get mine from Edgepark Medical Supply, but I'm sure any med supply would have it. Good luck! God bless!

Jaggie

Like you, I also had this problem and I was given a black band to put around my tummy area to keep me looking flat. But what I found is that if I had that on, my tummy would get gas and make me feel unwell or give me blockage. So now I buy modern going out trousers that are the next size up, and if you get the style right, it looks okay like it should be. I still love my jeans and I am a size 10/12, so it will always depend on the cut. But most of the time, I buy the next size up, a 12. I watch what I eat as I know if I eat too much and have a drink along with it, I will fill the bag up. But again, I can get away with it and with the style of trousers I buy, it looks good. The same with a skirt or long style summer dress, I do the same and I buy a pattern on it as that will also hide it. I buy 2 sizes in underpants as it will not pull on you to restrict the bag from feeling comfortable. I put leggings on, a long vest top, and a flowing style shirt with a loose hanging belt that looks lovely. No one would ever know that I have a bag, not unless I want them to know, and it suits me just fine. I hope I have been of some help to you. I have had my bag now for 7 years, and I felt like you, but I got around looking at the fashion and seeing how I could pull it off.
Now I hope you are ready for a night on the town. Good luck.

TB Cat

I wear a homemade pouch (which my wife makes) consisting of a handkerchief sewn onto an elastic band to support the ostomy bag as it fills up. I always wear shirts that I don't tuck in but are long enough to hide the pouch. I can remain pretty active using this system as I can adjust it for comfort as the bag fills up. If you would like more details, let me know. This system has worked great for me for several years now. I've never seen anything like it for sale so we continue to use our "home made" pouches.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
toodie

I wear low-waisted jeans. I shop for thin, soft denim with
waistbands that won't bother the flange opening. I spend time in the fitting room to make sure that I can sit and bend without issue.

If I wear the bag tucked in, I'll wear high-waisted panties to help hold it against my tummy.

If I wear it out of the pants, I wear an ostomy cover.

weewee

Wow, TB, it's nice to see someone from my hometown on here. You're the first one that I got to see respond from here.

mdw

You can try PouchWear Sleek from ostomybagholder.com. It is completely seamless and can be worn 24/7, muffles gas, handles active lifestyles, great for swimming. You only need one belt to do all that! Another great thing about it is that it covers the entire bag so it never again touches your skin, no pointy edges, no droopy bag, no leaky flange, just your mind at ease.

girasol

I read an article on the Phoenix magazine about wearing maternity clothes. I tried them and the pants are super comfortable. The elastic band gives extra support, and as the bag expands the elastic on the pants allows the room for it. Additionally, I wear an elastic band underneath (very similar to the one Myostomysecrets sells, with the difference that I make my own and it is much more economical). I purchased expandex material at the fabric store and voila. I also buy the maternity blouses and they are super cute!
I complement my maternity sets with a blazer for work and no one can tell they are maternity garments. I am a Senior Manager and practically, I am always doing presentations or participating in meetings with other Executives. I never imagined wearing the maternity clothes and my elastic band would give me so much comfort. I love them! I feel normal and after my surgery, I have a level of energy I did not have before.
I am in the stage now of testing intimacy with my husband. I guess, it's a matter of making baby steps. I love the fact that I do not have to get up at night many times to go to the bathroom now and that my Ulcerative Colitis is gone.

renee851

I wear low-rise jeans, bikini panties, and a good camisole with a built-in bra. This is the least restrictive and works well for me. When I wear a dress, I do sometimes wear Spanx, which works so well in keeping everything very flat.

Past Member

I have always worn camisoles even before I had an ileostomy, not tight fitting like Spanx just stretchy cotton that has a light control (quite cheap as I buy them at K-mart here in Australia but am sure you can get them everywhere).

Mid-rise jeans are good for me (my stoma is about belly-button level) and I have never felt uncomfortable, and I think that's because of the camisole, just keeps everything smooth and flat.

Past Member

So, any luck lanabana?