Airport Security Experiences: Share Your Stories!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Share your experiences and tips on navigating airport security with an ostomy, and learn from others who have faced similar challenges.
PRIVACY

Hi everyone, just want to ask the question: how does everyone get on with the scanners and security at airports, and what experiences have you had? As I travel quite a bit around the Middle East and Asia, it can become an issue at times, even at Heathrow in the UK when I go home.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gee07
Hello Privacy,
I'm due to fly out from Heathrow this September, to the USA and dreading any embarrassment that I may have with having a stoma.
I have flown to the States three times before but the last time was 2008 before they started using the body scanners, so I have no idea as to how my experience will turn out.

Do you think your issues may be due more to the countries you have been to and from, as in Asia and drug worries? When you watch the custom airport TV programs they seem to pick on passengers from Amsterdam, Thailand, etc.
What and how do the airport security behave towards you? Do they ask to see your appliance and look through your medical supplies?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Jaggie

I am going away next week to Phuket and I never get stopped with the scanner, but I always get pulled over by the security every time. This is my 3rd time there. But even going to the UK and Singapore, it was the same ordeal, so I understand. About my drugs, I carry, it makes me feel sick, but I get my doctor to write me a letter and take a copy from my chemist who can vouch for me. As when they open the bag, I see their faces, it's a worry. Then they go for my pouches, and I take my card out to let them know that they cannot be touched by them. But all going well, this trip should go okay.

Cheers jaggie WA
PRIVACY

Hi Jaggie, yeah Thailand is okay. I have a house in Hua Hin and go there regularly, so I don't have a problem. But my ileostomy is a rubber bag which has a metal bridge in it, so it sets off the security alarm.

Jaggie

I have a plate in my collarbone and I'm okay with that, but I can see why you would have the problem. Do you have an Ostomate card? I have one from where I get my bags. It's for travel, like you are talking about, and your doctor has to fill it in and sign it. That reminds me, I must do it as I leave on the 7th of September. As for Heathrow, I hate that airport, and yet I loved flying to Amsterdam airport. But BMI lost my bag, and that was a disaster for me. I will always travel with spare clothes, all my medication, all my pouches, and all my needs. I was lucky my sister was my size. I hope all goes well for you on your trip, and also you may like to think about getting the airline to give you extra luggage allowance. I also do that so I can take on an extra few pounds for my medical equipment, and it's a normal thing. You can get it, all you have to do is ask a few days before you go, and they have it down. That is a big help. All my best.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

As a person with an ostomy, when asked, "What is that on your stomach and can I see it, sir?" I reply, "Certainly," and proceed to open my fly and pull down my pants a little. Then I ask them if they have ever seen this before, which usually results in them going apoplectic and quickly asking that I be on my way, with their apologies. This has happened at least 5 times this past year. I think that, hopefully, they realize that we are special and should be treated much more carefully. I love to do this and it doesn't bother me in the least.

Past Member
I have bilateral knee replacements and screws and rods in my spine holding it together. These, of course, send the scanners into a nervous breakdown. All hell breaks loose. There is more metal in me than there is in a good-sized handgun! I also wear splints on both legs due to the spinal damage. So, I get a thorough going over when going through the various security checks. I even have to take my shoes and splints off sometimes. I am used to this now though and allow for it. Meds can be a problem though, on one trip that we did I had 120 syringes in my medical pack. These were Clexane needles for preventing blood clots. I still use 1 injection each day. That caused a stir at first, customs thought that they had a real bust at first. No one has ever shown any interest in my colostomy or the mountain of bags, base plates, disposal bags, tissues, and wipes that I carry. The needles are carried in my hold luggage of course, not in the carry-on case. I also carry my irrigation equipment, all these things making a nightmare of packing. My dear wife takes it all in her stride and I assure you that I could not imagine my life without her.

A holiday motoring within our own country is so very much easier. I carry all of the same meds and supplies but with the addition of my "car kit". Two 1-liter squeeze bottles of water, spare bags, spare base plates, wipes, tissues, a spray bottle of deodorizer, and two forms of disposal bags. These are carried in a webbing bag and I have a small cooler box (kind of lunch box with a locking lid) in which I keep the used bags until I can dispose of them in an appropriate place. I NEVER EVER THROW THEM INTO THE BUSH.

We travel a great deal in our old age (I am 79), and yes, we have a problem or two at times, but whatever you do, do not allow your situation to deter you from enjoying life. Make the absolute most of it, we are here only once.

Have a great time

Doug
gee07

Adabar,
Well said, not much I can add to your post apart from I hope no one with a stoma would ever throw their appliance rubbish in the bush!
I take my hat off to you and your wife for having to manage with so many health issues.

bob.hewson
I have flown twice to the Philippines from Australia where they used the old body scanners, a pat down of every passenger at several places in the airport every time. I actually like the idea of so much security as there is very little chance of problems during my flight.

When I come up for my pat down, I lift my shirt to reveal my bag and they just carry on around the rest of my body and there is no embarrassment to them or me. No one else of any importance is watching me lift my shirt and if they were, they will most probably never see me again.

I was charged excess luggage on one trip due to my one-month supply of appliances in a separate bag but an email to the airline and I received an apology and a refund.

We will always be different to some degree but it will make a big difference on how you approach these situations as to how others will react. If they feel or detect your bag, they will need to see it. If you show it beforehand, they will not have any problems.

I will be flying over again in April and as the international airport is not much stricter than the domestic, you cannot even get in the front door of the international without a security check, so I will again be showing my bag about 5 or 6 times each way.
Redondo
I have flown extensively through the US, Canada, and Europe... but not Asia.

Last week, flying from Tampa, FL to LAX was the first time that I had to go through a body scanner, and I was asked to step aside for a complete pat down.

When the security agent came up to me to explain what she was going to do, I informed her that I had an ileostomy and asked her if she knew what that was. She said that she did and therefore would have to take me into a private room to do the pat down. I was a little terrified but remained calm.

Two female agents came in with me so that one could be present while the other one patted me down. I even asked if they wanted to see my ostomy, and they did not. The agent wanted me to pat it myself, and then they wiped some kind of cloth over my fingers and then put it into a screening machine. Needless to say, I was good to go.

I have never been asked to explain what the supplies are for.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards.
PRIVACY
Hi Redondo,

Well, they don't have the body scanners yet in the UK, parts of the Middle East, or Asia. But usually, they just use the detector device which sends off the alarm. Then, I get taken into the room and examined. Usually, there is no problem. The only problems I have are with Sri Lanka. One time, I was coming through Colombo and the detector went up the front of me and the buzzer went off. Then, all of a sudden, the security guy grabbed my bag and pulled it away immediately. He got upset as I really shouted at him. Then, he tried to grab it again, so I put my hands up. By this time, there were about 4 or 5 security guards around me. So, I tried to explain what it was, but they were not interested. So, I then asked to speak to the security in charge and the airline representative. And this was in front of all the other passengers. So, they asked to see it, and I refused as I wanted some privacy. But the airline girls were very helpful and apologized profusely. But they did not take me into a room, just patted me down and then said, "Okay." Then, another passenger complained that I was not properly searched and refused to get on the plane until I was properly searched. So, I refused as the security had cleared me. Well, he went to the captain, then the captain came to me and asked if I would go back to security. I said no. So, the passenger was given a choice to fly or not as we were now holding up the departure. And believe it or not, this guy who was complaining about me was British. As he started arguing with me, anyway, that's the story. The whole thing was blown out of proportion, but that's life.
gee07

Hello my friend,
Just read that sad account you went through. I will give you ten out of ten for not giving in to such embarrassing demands. It must have been a terrible ordeal.
I think the thoughtless twit should be made to wear a bag full of water and be made to sleep and wear it for 48 hours, and perhaps he may have a tiny idea of how life is like for most of us.
Good on you! Are you okay? Haven't heard from you of late.

Orange72

I just traveled to the USA coming from Mexico through the NY airport. My bag did set off the alarm, although it is plastic. As they patted me down, they asked if I had something there. I answered that I had a colostomy bag, and they sent me to a second person. All was done properly and in a very low-level voice, so no other passengers heard what they were asking me.
They requested to check my hands for drugs, and they did the swab thing they put in the machine, and that was it. I was cleared and sent on my way.
I was nervous, but it worked pretty well. Let's see how it works coming out from the Boston airport, which is very tough for security.

TerryD
Just wanted to add my last experience, as I love to travel and have experienced pretty much everything described so far. What always makes me very nervous is leaving my baggage behind and these various airports do things differently. When I flew to Kiev, Ukraine, I had to go through Frankfurt. They took me to a separate room yards away from my stuff to do the two women closed door exam. I wish the airlines would do something to make one feel more comfortable about leaving everything, I am always worried someone will take one of my bags.

Anyway, I just had a very good experience with USair, and the Richmond Virginia and Detroit Michigan airports. I have cancer, and of course my colostomy. The cancer has now moved to stage 4 and they started me on new chemo drugs. Not knowing how bad off I will be in a few months...I booked a quick trip to Michigan to see my grandchildren and daughter. So....chemo Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday...flew out of Richmond Friday at o 'dark thirty! Yup, felt like crap. So they got me a wheelchair. This is the first time I ever asked, though I have traveled before after chemo...usually just use my cane for the foot neuropathy. But this time I was a weak mess...

Well, LO and behold...wheelchairs are manned by lovely young people who were SO KIND! They are NOT TSA. They go through security with you! My young man told me not to worry he would collect all my things and have them ready for me once my screening was done. Such peace of mind! Never mind the fact that he jumped the queue...calling make way please...and the sea parted! Then another person got me off the plane and wheeled me to the gate at the Philly connection. Once I got to Michigan, the young girl who picked me up there took me to the bathroom, asked what my luggage looked like, and had it all ready for me by the time I came out. Yes, I tipped nicely. Yes, it was a small perk for being so sick from the chemo. And yes, my Oncology Doc nearly had an apoplectic fit when I told him I was going...but he wrote me a note to try and help me get near bathrooms for seating....

Never wait....travel while we can. I had a wonderful trip, only two days laying around feeling really crappy but I got tons of Grandchildren hugs and lost a couple of pounds...it's all good!

Cheers everyone
TerryD
bob.hewson

Sorry to hear about your cancer, I am hoping to get the all clear in December when I get my next scan after my chemo and radiation.

I must agree with you, cancer or no cancer, do what you need to do now because you may get hit by a bus tomorrow and never have done what you wanted to do.

I am happy you had a good result from your travels now we just need a good result from your chemo.

Bob

apguy

I travel often, and the only problem I've had (and it was minor), was in Amsterdam. The body scanner revealed my bag and I was asked to step aside. The gentleman said "there's something here", and pointed to my bag. I said "it's an ostomy pouch, would you like to see it?" He was satisfied with that explanation and sent me on my way. I was asked about it once at an American airport (sorry...don't recall which one), and I asked to have privacy, and that was enough to wave me through. I think it was Detroit. I agree with the previous posters: just be bold. It seems to be more embarrassing for the security person than it does for you. I think they've finally gotten the message (at least in America), that we're all different, and there's no need to be rude to us, or assume the worst right off the bat.

Here's where my biggest issue occurred: At Heathrow...but that was because I fertilized my roses before I left the US. Fertilizer residue was detected on my carry-on. Let me tell ya...that's way worse than traveling with an ostomy pouch. Fortunately, I was at the airport plenty early, 'cause that took some explaining.

I'm presently in Jamaica, vacationing with my kids and having a ball, despite having a blowout yesterday. But as they say down here "every little ting, gonna be all right."

Homie With A Stomie NS

Google Travel or Flying with Ostomy or Colostomy and download check bag tags for airport security. They do work.

No Stress Air Travel is a site where you can get TSA cards and great info on security. https:///take-stress-air-travel-ostomy/

Homie With A Stomie NS

https://take-stress-air-travel-ostomy/

Has great info on airport security as well as TSA travel cards etc.

ljb3

I flew out of the country with my family a few weeks ago. No problems. I carried a blue TSA card. Showed it to the agents upon entering the scanner. They patted me down gently and had me rub my hands on the outside of my shirt and checked my hands for explosives. No problems whatsoever.