Introducing Sensura Mio: A Solution For Appliance Bloating?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
168notes

New appliance out called SenSura Mio. It is supposed to release the gas naturally through the filter. So no more bloating of the appliance. This is the first I tried so we will see how it goes.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Is this the one piece or two piece? Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
ron in mich

Hi, I was selected to receive some samples of these and was wondering how the wafers are. Do they swell up around the stoma or stay flat? Thanks for any info.

168notes

I have the 1 piece. They also come in 2 pieces. I had a little bloating last night but not at all like the normal appliance I wear. I did not drive yesterday so that will be another test. You usually have bloating when you drive. The wafer seems really good so far. Engineered pretty decently, the Velcro handles do not get in the way when you're wiping. If you can get samples, try it and you will probably switch to this product.

Monsieur Le President

I found that with filtered bags, you tend to get leakage through the filter, even with the sticky paper caps supplied to put over the filter.
A little telltale brown stain would appear.......

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
168notes

I never had a leak with a Coloplast product through the filter. Now I had leaks from the wafer coming apart due to bloating. No bloating while driving but I will have to see after a big meal that I have eaten. This is a very good product so far. 3 days wearing it so far.

panhead511

What's up Monsieur Le President? The Coloplast bags that I use don't leak through the filter. Also, Hollister bags haven't leaked through the filter when I used them. I hate it when it does that! Now, from my experience, I have found that Convatec bags tend to do that a lot, especially the cheaper bags which I could only afford to buy. Those little stickers don't help. I use duct tape, which seems to work pretty good. Besides, duct tape can be used on almost anything. I never had a leak come through it. What products do you use? If you are having issues, then change brands if you can. That would be my suggestion. Good luck, Chris.

Mrs.A
Hello everyone,

I have been wearing the Coloplast SenSura two-piece for almost a year and have not had any leaks. I also received a postcard in the mail asking if I would like to try the new Mio. I am anxiously awaiting for them to ship me some samples as well. One of the new features in the Mio says it is an elastic barrier (flange) which will move with you throughout the day. The filter design is new. They say it is an innovative full-circle filter design and 61 percent less ballooning. I'm sure they have pictures and more information on their website.

168notes~ Looking forward to the rest of your reviews on the product.
ali_frett

I was introduced to Coloplast with a filter, 2-piece, and love it. I will never wear anything else. The filter is great, but it does clog after a day or two. I think that's just the nature of what it has to filter, lol. It works better at night than others but not perfect. I still have to get up at least once to drain it as it balloons. I've never had a leak with Coloplast. Change it (at least the bag) as often as you can afford to. Good luck.

168notes

After having used the 1 piece now a few times. It's 50% better than the last product I used by Coloplast. That was a very good appliance also. Nothing but good thoughts about it by me. Bloating is definitely controlled. Not a perfect product but it's getting there to possibly be 1 one day.

New to Maryland (DMV)

I had the pleasure of trying them after my 4th stoma relocation last month and absolutely love them! The bag material is a neutral gray, not universal flesh (for the medium to light-skinned Caucasian people), the material surrounding the bag is smooth like silk (or poor man's silk polyester), they breathe through the thickest and slimiest of output, they dry almost instantaneously after a shower. I tried the 1-piece and 2-piece, I like the 2-piece because it has belt loops and I am far too active to have my bag keep falling off (see profile pictures). But I really think Coloplast has hit the nail on the head with this product line and if one can be excited about a friggin' sh*t bag, I am! I would encourage everyone to try the Mio line once it hits the airways (in June or so I am told).

macsac1

I use a Coloplast one-piece vented bag. The filter always clogs, and I have to poke a hole in the bag in order for it to vent. I would like to try the SenSura Mio to see if the filter actually works, but I have been using the 12175 Assura because that's what my insurance pays for. If you'll pardon the expression, these bags are crap! How can I get samples of the new bags?

sinColon

I received a few of the Mio two-piece and unfortunately the filter did not work for me with this either. The flange adhered better for me though.

I had initially used Hollister products but I apparently became allergic (which was horrible) and the only thing I liked better about those was that the pouch didn't make much, if any, noise compared to Coloplast Sensura or Mio.

macsac1

After two years of trying different bags and different manufacturers, I have come to the conclusion that no one makes a good filter. I have had bags fill up with gas while I sleep, and then the adhesive gives way. It's not my diet, the bags just puff up with air, probably methane from the waste that is already in there. I have also experienced the joy of brown spots on my t-shirts from the leakage through the filters. Apparently, the manufacturers have no idea what it is like to use their products.

Mrs.A

This looks like a good product to try for venting out our pouches....anyone ever try them?

http://www.flat-d.com/ostoezvent1.html
Past Member
Hello,

I use ConvaTec- Mouldable Sur-Fit Natura flanges and ConvaTec Natura drainable / Velcro seal pouches with comfort panels. I play hockey twice a week in pretty competitive leagues and never had any problems with leakage. The more you sweat, the better the seal sticks. I also use the Cavilon skin barrier individual packages. Excellent results.

When I shower, I use mini pouches without the filter. I change my unit every Sunday. There have been times when I needed to change my pouch twice a week (but that is when I do reno's as a side business. // Understandable)

Hope this finds you well.

Cheers
Penguins7

Common Ground,

I tried the Convatec moldable wafers and had bad luck. What is the secret to molding them? Should you leave a gap or do they not expand a bit? Let me know. Thanks. Penguins7

Past Member
Hey Pen7. Not sure we should be talking......I'm a Sens fan lol. Boys are looking good. Hopefully they can get past Columbus.

I actually roll the moldable wafer just a tad bigger than the stoma. It will snug up as time passes. The model number I use is 404593.

I like it because it is rigid and good for sports. Are you using the skin barrier as well? I find that it helps with the adhesion as well as protects your skin.

Also, I always wear the small 3/4 inch clip-on waist belt. It too keeps the wafer tight to the stoma.

When I play hockey or do renovations, I wear the Stealth Belt.

Hope this finds you well.
Cheers.

C G
Penguins7

Hey CG, a Sens fan. I don't meet many of them....I grew up in Canada a Leafs fan. Thanks for your tip. Wow, you get a week from the same wafer? I change every 2 days. I hope to get 3-4 days with the moldable one. Stay well and enjoy the playoffs. Penguins7

Past Member
OMG...a Leafs fan....even worse. LOL

Give the ConvaTec- Mouldable Sur-Fit Natura flanges another try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Keep me posted.

Cheers
CG
168notes

Update on the MIO. Coloplast gave me about 7 one-pieces to try out. Well, 2 of them had real bad blowouts in the middle of the night. Luckily, I had my classic wraps on because it would have been a major mess. The appearance of the MIO is an upgrade and it seems to be a little water-resistant. But I don't think the wafer can stand the air pressure. So basically, the filter is no good for what it is advertised for - releasing the gas.

I went round and round with Coloplast, saying 2 samples were not enough and I needed more to really know how it works. Finally, they sent me 7. Looks like I will be sticking to my other Sensura product.

I really cannot trust the MIO now, lol. The filter does not release the air pressure as well as advertised. And also, the stool bunches up around your stoma too much at night while sleeping, which I think blocks the filter from working well. And the wafer is not as strong as advertised. So I am kinda unhappy with the overall function of the MIO.

Penguins7

Hello 168notes, The MIO has a 2-piece system that is supposed to be out this month and I am on the list to get some samples. I currently use the Coloplast 2-piece system and it has been working fine. I tried the 1-piece MIO and did not have much luck either. Disappointing that they would bring a new product to market that has flaws. Best of luck. Penguins7

Past Member

The two-piece Mio's won't be available until July. They had a production problem and had to push the launch back.  

The one-piece has been very good for my skin, but as others have pointed out, there are problems with the filter and pancaking (likely due to the filter), so it's not a perfect system we were all hoping for.