Changing Your Appliance With One Hand

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mrs.A

Hi everyone,

Hope this post finds you in good health.

I have a friend who is going to have some surgery on his shoulder in early August. He will not be able to use his shoulder until things heal and I am posting to ask...

Has anyone ever had to change their appliance with one hand and if so, could you please take a moment and let me know what (if any) hurdles did you have to overcome.

I am going to try on my next change to complete everything with one hand to give myself firsthand experience as to what he may go through minus any of the issues of pain or the lack of flexibility he may have with his surgery.

Thanks in advance for replying and any suggestions.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

firedup

Hello Mrs. A,

I have had two shoulder surgeries since receiving my stoma. One was pretty bad and the other I had some function with my fingers. It was difficult at first but it's amazing what one can do with only one hand. There were times when my stoma was active while changing and I would put a washcloth up to it and lean against the sink to get it done. Sorry, I don't have anything more.

I wish your friend a speedy recovery.

Gail

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Immarsh

Hi, I had carpal tunnel surgery a few years ago, and for the first week, I had to keep my arm raised and against my chest. But I'd been learning to manage with one hand for months before the actual surgery. I had difficulty holding anything with my right hand (and I'm a righty). My best advice is to set up everything in advance...wet tissue....wipes, wafer, pouch...etc and plenty of pieces of toilet tissue, to wrap around or under the stoma....I learned to be more "dexterous" with my left hand, and it really was amazing how easily I was able to adapt...It was more difficult when I was pregnant, had the use of two hands, but couldn't see my stoma which was "underneath my big belly. I ended up using a mirror,....and had to contend with "mirror image", but that worked too. Be creative, and have a sense of humor... This too shall pass.

Marsha

Mrs.A

Thank you both Gail and ImMarsh,

I was hoping it wouldn't be so difficult as I did give it a try myself, but seeing how I am currently (and hopefully for some time to come) not in any discomfort, it didn't really count. I found it was more so a time thing and an inconvenience. Although it is not a good idea to try and converse while opening a package of adhesive remover with your teeth.