Need Help Eliminating Stubborn Odor From Minivan Carpet?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses effective methods for removing persistent odors from minivan carpets.
kdlavoie

One of my worst fears the other night...my daughter's bag leaked in our minivan on the carpet. We have scrubbed and sanitized and scrubbed some more, but there is still a lingering odor. Any tips from all of you veteran ostomates out there on products that will eliminate the odor? We have a mist spray that works well for airborne smells but it's not touching this...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Diceman

Put some white vinegar in a cup and put the cup in the van. Crack open a window for a day. You can test the carpet in a corner and pour a little on it and rub. If the color on the carpet does not change, then pour some on the spot that got crap on it. I did this in my living room when I had an accident.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
klark

Sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda onto where the spill/leak happened on the carpet. Put some warm water in a spray bottle, spray the baking soda until it gets pasty and rub it into the carpet. Let it dry and then vacuum all of it out. This should certainly help with the lingering odor.

Good luck... Kevin

blindsided

I've used a product for years called AtmosKlear. Now I buy it on Amazon. It is a spray bottle,

usually 16 or 32 ounces. This does not mask one odor with another but it manages to eliminate

the one you spray for without any lingering odor. Check it out on Amazon. I use it still for any

number of things, mostly for cooking and bathroom. Works well.

Larry

Gypsy

Hi, I have had fabulous luck with "Woolite Carpet Stain & Odor Remover." It also says 'pet+oxygen' on the bottle. It might be shelved with pet products but believe me, it works wonders on human poop, too!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Gwen in LA

I've used various "cat urine deodorizer" products from the pet store with great success. At first, I had several bag leaks and recently, a Hollister clamp came loose. At least I was at home...not in public :(

Here is the inexpensive product I used:

16 ounces of 3% hydrogen peroxide (inexpensive at beauty supply store)

1 tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)

Place the baking soda in a spray bottle, add peroxide, cover the opening with your thumb and shake to dissolve the soda. Then apply the spray pump top. Spray generously, wetting the area. I have poured it directly on the spot to soak the underlying carpet mat—but I live in a hot dry area, your mileage may vary depending on humidity, climate, and penetration of the stain.

The smell may seem to increase, but it is actually releasing the odor. When it dries, any crystals or "dust" can be vacuumed up.

You may want to repeat the process.

So far, this has not bleached any fabrics, but you may want to try an inconspicuous spot first.

kdlavoie

Thanks all for your replies. A funny thing happened before I could try any of your suggestions. My husband inadvertently smashed the lid of a Clorox2 detergent bottle in the tailgate of the minivan. It proceeded to leak out overnight through the luggage area and out through the bumper. Made a huge mess, but guess what - it killed the ostomy accident odor! I do not recommend this method!! :-) Hopefully we won't have any more disasters, but if we do I'll know some other things to try! You're the best. - KDL

Ian

Get everyone to poop there. Then no one will smell it.