Hernia Repair

Replies
Views
Virgo

HiI have just had a "stoma' hernia repair, and I was horified to see the end result, my stoma seems to be inverted where as prior to the op was a nice protruding bud...I am praying that once the swelling is down that it will be back to normal.....I had it repaired as it was casuing the stoma to invert and the "pooh" would then leak under the wafer....sometimes it is better to let sleeping dogs ly than to fix........needless to say it is very painful but Dr says 2 weeks then will be OK has also prescribed a "hernia support belt" that i must wear once healed daily for 5 weeks to help stregthen the tummy muscles....

mild_mannered_super_hero

i recently had a hernia repair also. dont panic....the repaired area will flatten out and start to look normal after a few months. i had a terrible time getting mine to seal right after the repair, b patient and be prepared to change your regular routine till you find out what works "now" for a reliable seal.

i had to switch my barrier to a different brand with a smaller "footprint", started wearing a ostomy belt 24/7 and that solved my leak problem. my surgeon cautioned me not to put on any weight and DONT LIFT ANYTHING. you might want to be very careful with diet, avoiding just about anything with fiber till everything settles in. good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Was your hernia under y9uyr stoma or next to it, like middle of body?

I have one which I hate, which is right next to my stoma, and in the middle of my body (waist-line) and it is not a small one either.

Without getting too gross it looks like the size of a baby's head, without arms, legs, or body, and I am very self conscious of it, so am always trying to ;hide it with mh shirts or a sweater.

When I asked my docs if they're gonna remove it, or shrink it, they tell me that unless it grows more or is painful, they're not gonna do anything for it.

I don't think the hernia belt for ostomy patients will help mine cuz it's NOT under my stoma but nex tto it.

Any thoughts on this problem?

Sydney