Jeans Troubles: Seeking Post-colostomy Clothing Advice

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides advice and recommendations for finding comfortable and suitable clothing options after colostomy surgery.
Dynodon

I had my colostomy in August 2013. I was a jeans man, tall slim built. Has anyone else encountered a problem with wearing jeans? The colostomy was a life-changing event in a lot of ways. This is only one of my issues. I currently only wear elastic waist chinos or sweatpants. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Dynodon

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

Dynodon, I experienced the same problem after my surgery as my stoma was dead center on my belt line and caused problems with flow from the stoma. I purchased a couple of stoma guards which did not work very well for me so I developed my own and have had no problems since. You need to find something that will aid in restricting the flow to your pouch and this will help you get back into jeans. Good luck. Penguins7

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Dynodon

Penguins7, it's not a flow problem. I'm concerned about putting too much pressure on the stoma with snug-fitting jeans. I was wearing a 32" waist, but now I'm using 35" elastic waist chino pants. The stoma is just below my belt line. I've never heard of stoma guards. Can you enlighten me, please?

Thanks in advance for your help, Dynodon

Penguins7

Dynodon, I don't think you have an issue then. I wish my stoma was below the belt. Maybe wear one size larger and wear your shirt outside your pants. Stoma guards are helpful for people who have stoma located right on the belt line as they help prevent pancaking around the stoma. They can protect the stoma from a pet jumping on you or a small child or rubbing on a counter. They work great for seat belts in the car. Best of luck to you with your journey. Let me know if I can be of help. Penguins7

Penguins7

One more thing to remember is that pleated pants can help hide the pouch and give you more room. Penguins7

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Do a search on YouTube for "Ostomy clothing guide for men" and see if it gives you any ideas.

Lost_Treasure

I know male urostomates, colostomates, and ileostomates who have solved the problem of the site of their stomas conflicting with waistbands by wearing braces. (Not such a good look for the ladies... but we do have more options!)

They can be fun or formal braces and can look good with jeans through to dress pants, they can be wide or narrow and I've found that the widest selection available are those made in the USA and I have purchased them for friends via eBay. The looser waistband gives you comfort and the braces will provide the security of keeping everything where you want it to be.

Best wishes..... Diana

"I took a speed reading course and read "War and Peace" in twenty minutes.

It involves Russia." -Woody Allen, author, actor, and filmmaker (b. 1935)

PatinPickering

Hello Dynodon. My surgery was over 20 years ago so there's been lots of time for trial and error. Here, then, are some samples of what I have learned:

1) Pants: switched to pleated pants so that pancaking is diminished and the "bulge" is somewhat less prominent; and,

2) Underwear: switched to boxers to provide room for the appliance; and,

3) "Other": baby powder on my thigh (under the appliance) to prevent sweating; and,

4) Flange: changed positioning to look "diamond-shaped" instead of horizontal to the waistline (which prevents the elastic of your underwear shortening the lifespan of your appliance)

Good luck!!

Past Member

Dynodon,

My stoma is below my waistline and the trend in women's jeans to have a very low rise is a problem for me, but pants that rise to my natural waistline are fine, even snug fitting ones. If the 32's are comfortable, go for it. It will not hurt your stoma. In a well-fitting, flat front pair of jeans, my pouch is not visible at all. I can even tuck in my shirt, but I like it out so if my pouch fills suddenly the bulge is covered until I can empty it.

Your stoma is almost certainly much tougher and less vulnerable than you think.

Past Member

I wear skinny jeans all the time. Buy a stoma guard, which is like a dome over your stoma. Buy 1/2 sizes bigger than you would normally have and you will be fine! And put a little bit of olive oil in your bag to keep the poo sliding down, and you will be totally fine. This ostomy clothing is a load of nonsense.

Mrs.A

Hi Dynodon,

I am currently interested in a guard as well. Here is a link to one that seems less of a hassle than others I have read about.

Past Member

That link doesn't work. Just had a look myself.

Mrs.A

Strange, but I will try again: http://www.ostomyresolutions.com/. The name of the site is Ostomy Resolutions as it says in the link. Hope this link works.

Past Member

This is for all of you. I have also had my colostomy since Aug. 2013. With irrigation each evening, I am completely free of stool passing into the pouch for 24-36 hours. This is such a valuable tool for those of us with colostomies. It is criminal that it is not more widely taught!