Irrigation: A Liberating Solution For Ostomy Care!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Malakies

Hi everyone.

I just want to take a moment to say "irrigation rocks!" I've had my ostomy since Sept. 2014 (rectal cancer). I am here to give anyone that can and is thinking of irrigating, to DO IT! I started less than a month ago and love it! It took me about two weeks after I received my irrigation kit to actually begin the process. I was so scared to do it. I had all these crazy ideas in my head about sticking the cone in my stoma, poop flying everywhere, blah blah blah. Basically anything to avoid doing the process. I am happy to say, I have it down to 35 minutes. Although I keep the bag on for an additional half hour just in case. Hey, I am still new to this! I am keeping "him" under control for a definite 24 hours! The first few days, it only lasted approximately 8 hours until a bit of "stuff" came out. And that was nothing compared to what I was dealing with before irrigating!

So, since I have my stoma companion for the rest of my life, I am SO glad I can irrigate and literally forget I have it! I am wearing little stoma caps that are super comfortable! My goal is to hopefully be able to go longer than 24 hours, but even if I do the 24 hours, I am ecstatic!

If you are contemplating irrigation and are on the fence or scared, like me, DO IT! It is liberating!

Have a great day!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

To get longer times between irrigating, you must limit your fiber intake. Have you tried a high protein low fiber diet? You should be able to get 48 hours easily.  

Thanks for posting this thread. I agree that irrigation really helps manage life with an ostomy. Regards, MMsh

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
WAB

Irrigating?.....ok.... Irrigating...lol..........just a small typo.......on your part..........

Sorry, it's just to let you know.........I agree, irrigating sets you free.... what you eat, as MMSH says, helps you manage the length of time before another irrigation............I have been doing it for 14 years now................one thing though, I have not found a suitable stoma cap...........I wish the companies could make one that was two-piece... as most do balloon..........and do not release gas.......if anyone has found one that is two-piece, I would like to know.............

One thing you will find is that the more you irrigate, your intestine muscles will get used to it and wait for it..........

Malakies

Hey! It was late when I was typing that! Hahaha. Thanks for your advice! Like I said, since I am stuck with this stoma, at least I am lucky to be able to irrigate!

Helistens

Hi, I've been irrigating for over 30 years. The responses you have received are absolutely correct and I would add that you have to learn over time what foods trigger "firings". In my case, it is ice-cold ice cream, milkshakes, and cold drinks over hot food like soups. I irrigate in the morning with coffee and a good book, shower, and put on a Hollister stoma cap. Also, I find that any more than 2 cocktails can not only weaken my will but also screw up control.

Take the time and train your stoma and intestines "who is boss".

Have a happy, healthy life!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Malakies

Yes, Cecile. From what I understand, not everyone is able to irrigate. I am lucky to be a candidate for irrigation!

carolmcq

So no one told me about this irrigating - how do you do it? Do you need different supplies?

Gwen

Yes, irrigation is wonderful! I also have rectal cancer, so I am stuck with a colostomy permanently.

You do need separate supplies, just a few pieces you can order online from Edgepark, etc. Contact a wound/ostomy dept. at your local hospital, and they should be able to meet with you to explain the process and maybe even give you some starter supplies.

I use Cymed products. Very low profile, they stay on for longer periods of time. They can withstand hot tubs, baths, swimming. I wear a base, and use stoma caps and tiny bags to fit over them. 2-piece sets. The caps and little bags both have charcoal filters on them, so they filter out gas and don't totally balloon.

Malakies

No one told me about irrigation at the hospital either. I was researching online and found it. I then asked my surgeon if I was able to irrigate (depends on what type of surgery they have done on you). When he told me I could, I made an appointment with an ostomy nurse and he talked me through it, BUT I already knew everything he said because of all the research I had done (Google is a wonderful thing, and so is YouTube).

My surgeon said that not many of his patients do irrigation (ones that can), and I can't believe it! I said, "It's because no one gives them information on it!" I don't understand why it is not given as an option to people. I bet it's a money thing...they can't make enough money off of it! Hahaha, the supplies last a lot longer, and the stoma caps are cheaper! That's all I can think of! Why else? It's definitely something everyone should know about!

sunasea

Hi, I just started irrigating two months ago and wish I started three years ago. It seems to take me about an hour, but worth it. I do find that some liquid and a small bit of stool sometimes releases into my mini pouch, but I guess that is normal for me, but better than what it has been like for the past four years. Someone had asked if there is a two-piece stoma cap; I think Convatec has one, but I have not confirmed this yet. Also, someone else in this feed asked if you can irrigate with an ileostomy - I don't think you can. Lastly, where can I find these 'Cymed products?

Mrs.A

http://www.cymedostomy.com/ I think this is the link you're inquiring about.

macsac1

I was told that irrigation makes your bowels lazy and not able to function on their own like a person who relies on enemas to have a bowel movement. Having had diarrhea in midstream between bag changes, how do you control the output from irrigation without redecorating your bathroom in brown?

mild_mannered_super_hero

I don't believe this is true. I have been irrigating for several years, and if I skip a day or irrigate every 2 days, my system works just like before.

While irrigating, you wear a long "sleeve" that snaps on just like a pouch but hangs down in the toilet so any output is directed down. Where you just flush it away. After you're through, the sleeve is rinsed clean, rolled up, and put away for use again.

sunasea

Thank you for the website.

Mrs.A

Your very welcome .

medic361

Irrigation is the bomb, I can't imagine not having the option.

sunasea

It's a work in progress for me. I seem to have success sometimes and other times I do not. But it's an adventure lol.

funnygurl

That is true. Ileostomies cannot irrigate and only some colostomies. You should check with your doctor first.