Horseback Riding With A 'barbie Butt'?

Replies
Views
kbd

Question for those with a "Barbie Butt". Are you able to go horseback riding? I had mine done 4 years ago and I can't imagine throwing my leg over a horse as I don't seem to 'divide' that well anymore. I have a chance to go horseback riding this summer and just wondering if it is a lost cause.

Thanks.

mild_mannered_super_hero

I still ride on occasion. I believe you can do it in moderation if you try.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kbd

Thanks.

I may give it a shot.

medic361

I am a motorcycle rider and I started back riding 3-4 months post-surgery and just increased my time in the saddle. While a motorcycle doesn't canter, I think with patience you could get back to riding as you did pre-surgery. Good luck!!!

kbd

That is good to know.

Thanks!

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Immarsh

Hi....I never rode before my surgery, but did learn to ride post surgery. Although I wasn't really good at it, I rode 3x a day for 7 days when I went to a dude ranch, and then also rode occasionally when I visited friends at their farm. It must be about 30 years now since I've been on a horse, but I recently registered at a "therapeutic" horse farm, where they give lessons to children and adults with "disabilities". Although I hate to put myself in that classification.....all my other medical issues qualify me for the program. And so, I'll be back in the saddle again....at the ripe old age of 66.

Go for it....take it slowly and enjoy. My goal is to one day ride a horse on a beach....

kbd

Immarsh, that's great! Let us know how it goes.

elberix

I ride my horse occasionally; also ride a mountain bike sometimes. I had a total colectomy and ileostomy five years ago. I understand your hesitation but my experience has been you think you're not up to a certain activity because you don't feel 100% well but once I get on the saddle there's a rush of energy that makes me wanna do more. I've never had any pain related to my surgery after riding. Good luck!

bigal1579

Definitely go for it. First, I think your butt is supposed to hurt when riding a horse. Mine always did (although I think there is a bit of an art to riding more on the inside of your thighs that saves your butt a little). No matter who you are, if you ride a horse or a bike for the first time in a long time, your butt will be sore. I think the key is simply moderation so you don't overdo it, at least until you build up your muscles.

No matter how tight your sewn butt is, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to mount. You could practice lifting one leg up and over things, like the back of a couch or chair, and see if it's a problem. Also, the degree to which you must swing your leg over is highly dependent on how high in the air you lift yourself with your left leg. If you can get your left knee totally straight in the stirrup, your butt is at the seat level and you shouldn't require too much stretching to get your right leg over. Ask a cowhand to help, and explain to him or her what you're trying to do, and they can give you an ever so slight boost that should make it very easy.

Finally, after this many years you are probably well healed (if you are riding horses, hopefully that applies to your finances also, but I think that is well heeled). It took me several years to heal, which I think is not all that abnormal. However, I still take some gauze and loosely roll it and poke it into my crack. It absorbs sweat and makes the area more comfortable, so you could consider experimenting with that. It might help.

Don't be dissuaded from riding. You can definitely do and enjoy it.

Degurosa

My Barbie butt was made nearly 3 years ago, 2 years after my ileostomy. I ride twice a week and have no issues with pain or soreness from the surgery. I have other health issues which affect my mobility, so my progress has been slow, but I am now back to trotting and cantering again, and long hacks through the woods. I would say, if you have the opportunity to ride then go for it...it's a wonderful sense of freedom and a great way to get fit.

kbd

Awesome :-)

kbd

Thanks!