Crohn's Sufferers: Issues With Artificial Sweeteners?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
kbd

I have found that I can tolerate aspartame artificial sweetener, but only very small amounts of sucralose. Not only does lots of sucralose make me nauseous, I have noticed it causes bleeding in my bowel. Just wondering if other Crohn's folks have trouble with certain artificial sweeteners?

BTW Diet Pepsi is changing over to sucralose from aspartame this summer:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/04/24/pepsi-diet-pepsi-pepsico-aspartame-aspartame-free-beverages-soft-drinks/26297755/

Looks like no more Diet Pepsi for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

latke

Try Stevia found at Trader Joe's. Pure Stevia powder is the best. Just a little works on cereals and drinks. Fructose, natural or otherwise, I am told is not too good for us. PS at Trader Joe's they have sample packets where you sample their coffee and tea.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
kbd

BetaScience

I am very skeptical of all artificial sweeteners. I don't think we should add natural sugar to our food either. I'm all about tasting the natural sweetness of food as sweet. The other stuff drastically distorts our sense of taste.

Here are some articles related to the concerns with artificial sweeteners:
2013 study review in Trends in Endocrinology & Metabolism ABSTRACT
Artificial Sweeteners Produce the Counter-Intuitive Effect of Inducing Metabolic Derangements
Susan E. Swithers

Cleveland Clinic Ohio doesn't recommend artificial sweeteners 10-2014
http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2014/10/3-reasons-you-should-kick-your-diet-soda-habit/

Splenda alters gut microflora and increases intestinal p-glycoprotein and cytochrome p-450 in male rats.
Abou-Donia MB, El-Masry EM, Abdel-Rahman AA, McLendon RE, Schiffman SS.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800291

Low-Dose Aspartame Consumption Differentially Affects Gut Microbiota-Host Metabolic Interactions in the Diet-Induced Obese Rat Marie S. A. Palmnäs mail, Theresa E. Cowan, Marc R. Bomhof, Juliet Su, Raylene A. Reimer, Hans J. Vogel, Dustin S. Hittel, Jane Shearer
Published: October 14, 2014

I have more but I figured I would post a few. Ultimately we all have to decide what we want to put in our body and if someone wants to eat artificial sweeteners - to each their own!

Several years ago I switched to flavored seltzer water. I grew up on diet pop but that stuff just doesn't taste good after you avoid it for a couple of months!

kbd

BetaScience, thanks for the info. I have found that Splenda/Sucralose is much worse for my gut than Aspartame, though I know Aspartame is not great either. I have had a struggle finding beverages that don't cause me issues in one way or another. I can't tolerate tea or coffee, and I'm diabetic, so sugary drinks are out. I can't stand to drink only water when I eat or take pills, so I have drunk sodas with Aspartame as a "lesser evil". I think Pepsi's switch to Sucralose is a bad idea. But water is probably the only safe thing to drink :-)

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
kbd

Good for you, Shane :) A much healthier way to go.

HarleyDoll

Do you feel the same way about salt? Salt is very bad for you, especially for certain people with certain conditions. Sorry, this is in response to Beta Sciences' post.

w30bob

Careful there HarleyDoll..............salt isn't necessarily bad for everyone. Blanket statements like that get folks in trouble. Salt is a vital part of the hydration equation and for some folks (like me) and is essential. As for artificial sweeteners, Sucralose is a no-no for Crohn's. Any compound ending in "ose" is a no-no. These compounds are not well tolerated by the intestines and upset the glucose/sodium gradient in the bowels, causing the small bowel to dump fluid to dilute. And folks with Crohn's don't need any more liquid being added to their stool. Folks with Crohn's should also stay away from Sugar Alcohol.....which just should be outright outlawed because of the crap it is. When you step back and look at how we've screwed up our food supply and the created compounds to mimic natural ingredients.........all for the sake of making money.......you have to shake your head. And then our "experts" say they don't know why we're experiencing such a huge increase in auto-immune diseases over the past two or three decades. We do this to ourselves folks by letting our food suppliers feed us crap so they can make a buck. Ok........I'm getting pissed off..........better shut up now.

Regards,

Bob