Seeking Advice On Radiation Complications: Vaginal Closure & Utis

In this discussion
Replies
Views
singinac

Hi there... I haven't been in touch for quite a while, but unfortunately I have an issue. I'm going to have surgery next week, February 11, due to complications from radiation. My vaginal wall has closed together from scar tissue growing together, and there is only one tiny hole where urine can still flow through. I have not been able to have intercourse obviously... But I also continuously get UTI infections. So I have to have the vaginal wall separated and will have a catheter and vaginal dilator in 24/7 for the first week, then I still have to wear the dilator for another 5-6 weeks. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello singinac. No! I obviously have not experienced this but I do feel for you and your situatiion so thought I would post a reply to  wish you well with your operationa and recovery.

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Singnac. I'm a bit dissapointed that nobody else has replied to your post yet so I decided that you deserve another go from me!!

Before I had my stoma the surgeon/butcher, made a right mess of my backside and the scar tissue closed it up altogether. I didn't realise what had happened for some weeks and was getting more and more sick. eventually I was taken back into hospital and they operated. Basically they explained what they did,  as cutting through the scar tissue all the way round where the hole should be, thus opening it up again. I then needed to use an 'anal dilator', which was a glass cone shape, that kept the hole open until the wounds healed up but there was still a hole left.  The operation and healing was successful in one sense, but if the faeces was at all hard it would split the sides of the anus and I had a bleeding bum until it healed up again. When the splits happened, I needed to go back to using the dilator to stop the hole from closing over again. The anal problem is obviously  not quite the same as your vaginal  situation, but I suspect that the operation is much the same and it sounds as if the dilating technique is exactly the same.

All I can say is that I think your operation should go much better than mine because you won't have the problem of solids keep splitting the walls open again after the op. 

Anyway! once again I wish you  well

Bill.

iMacG5

Hi Singinac.  I apoligize for replying to your post.  I'm a 75 year old guy who can't even imagine what you're situation is like.  Just reading your stuff and what Bill offered encourages me to suggest you get all the assistance you need.  I continue to believe some of the brightest and best practitioners are in New Jersey and I think you'll have access to them.  I would ask a zillion questions over the next few days.  I would consult with an aesthetic surgeon because they can often make repairs in a way other surgeons can not. I'm betting there are folks very familiar with your situation and can offer help.  I wish you the very best and hope you'll share your successes with us.

Respectfully,

Mike

LadyHope

Hi Singinac, I have not been on this site for a few days and missed your post. I apologize. I remember reading your initial post a few years ago and was wondering how you were doing? You posted prior to surgery. I believe that you were a professional singer. I am so sorry to learn about the complications due to radiation treatment. Good luck with your surgery next week and I hope that everything goes well and you recover very quickly. Feel free to email me if you have a moment. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care Singinac. Talk to you soon. LH

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Hi, Singac. I have had numerous bowel resections over the years and each time the surgeon comments on how much scar tissue is in my abdomen. The last time I went for a pap smear, the OB/Gyn was unable to insert the device to obtain a tissue sample because the opening was so tight. She speculated it was due to not having had sex for years. It didn't occur to me that it might be the scar tissue until I saw your post. Since I am a 64-year-old widow, sex isn't an issue right now, but I can see myself in your situation one day. Please keep us informed on your progress, and God bless!

Missymo

I have the same complaint. Every time I eat, my vagina burns like hell. I've been given nerve pain pills which are making me like a zombie! I'm seeing a gastrointestinal consultant next Monday. Wish they would just numb it permanently! Can't go on like this! Please let us know how the operation goes. Good luck. X

Missymo

Sorry about predictive text.

sunasea

All I want to say is you are amazing and brave, best of luck. I have been an ostomy person for five years and you have boosted my confidence and I admire your strength.

Sincerely,

Tom

Ewesful

I can share only that my bladder sealed off years ago and it had to be surgically reopened. I was petrified and it was my first surgery - about 50 years ago now and it not only went perfectly well - excellent surgeon, it has been fine since. Be aware that any surgery may require very careful attention to full bladder voids otherwise you will have repeated infections. My prayers are with you ---

Missymo

Tom, I think we are all amazing on this site. We all thought these bags would be the answer to all our prayers and pain, but sadly not.

Past Member

Singinac, how did the surgery go? Can you tell yet if it was successful? I just reread your original post, and was curious as to why you say the scar tissue around the bladder is due to radiation. Did a doctor tell you that? I've never heard of scar tissue forming due to radiation.

Missymo

Does anyone take medication for nerve damage pain? Vulvar/vaginal area. I'm in agony with it but the Lyrica pills make me like a zombie then I have to go to bed. Really need something to take without zombie effects!