The Basics, Etc.

In this discussion
Replies
Views
iMacG5

We've exchanged so much information here and will continue. We've gotten involved in some things we never imagined and had to "learn" our way through. It's all good if not great. Sometimes though, I wonder if we don't get all the questions we should. Some newbies or not so newbies might be intimidated because we're often addressing topics way beyond the very basics. Heck, it seems like just a short time ago I needed step-by-step instructions to be able to handle the most fundamental tasks related to emptying, cleaning and changing my appliance without having a nervous breakdown. Wow! Suddenly I'm an expert; or maybe not. I'm hoping folks ask ALL the questions they need to so they don't have to accept discomfort, pain, odor, anxiety, depression and whatever could go with it. It's great to know there's help for us and super great to be able to be a helper.

Respectfully,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

Well said Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

I agree entirely Mike! Perhaps your post should be on a loop system that gets repeated at regular intervals for any newcomers!

Best wishes

Bill

veejay

Thought-provoking piece, Mike. Well done.

Are all the questions that should be asked actually asked?

Do ostomates need to be braver?...(if that's a word)

Are we too nervous to ask?

Like the little kid in primary school who doesn't want to be laughed at by his fellow pupils?

Does anyone have questions? And what about answers?

V.J.

iMacG5

Thanks for jumping in guys.  Time goes by so quickly and accelerates as we age.  For me it's easy to forget all the changes in the last 7 years.  I struggled to get up the nerve to ask my first question.  As a newbie I felt like I was intruding on a network of bright, caring people who happened to be ostomates.  Don't know where I would be if I hadn't found you folks.

Sincerely,

Mike

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
LadyHope

Thanks Mike! Great post and summary for the group! Welcome all. We help each other the best that we can. Take care and thank you again. LH

Ewesful

The old replies can also be found from a few years ago -- I know it helped to go over some of the old replies and questions when I first learned of this site -- it has been a godsend to have everyone able to help and share

Immarsh

Hi all, well said Mike, I have had my ostomy for over 50 years and have gone through all the changes in products available.

And still, although I'm confident that what I'm using is "the best" for me, I read posts with interest and actually find new updates that I am willing to try. Who said "old dogs can't learn new tricks"? Great post, and for the newbies, all of us "old timers" remember what it was like to be uncertain as to what and who to ask. This is the place to be, so jump right in and ask, or greet, or share.

LadyHope

Hi Marsha. Great message and thank you for your uplifting posts. Take care. LH

iMacG5

Our stomas make us different from others and different from before.  In some cases we’re better.  Maybe the pain is gone.  Some get to see a real world outside the bathroom.  Maybe I’m naive but I really believe we can all be pretty darn good and fix any of the crap that bothers us about our body modifications.  I don’t believe we have to accept constant or frequent discomfort or pain.  Our emotional status improves as we get better physically.  Our emotional status gets way better when we accept where we are, recognize how well we’ve done and start looking forward to our tomorrows.

As we know “Necessity is the mother of invention”.  Lots of us have learned little tricks to make us better and those tricks might be just what someone else needs for his or her situation.

I’m thankful for all of us and look forward to others becoming a part of this.

Mike

LadyHope

Me too, Mike! Thank you for your posts! LH

Mrs.A

The more folks ask, the more I learn. It is quite amazing that so many of us have found a common ground to stand on and are willing to share information that is here to help anyone now and in the future. To not have met each other in the flesh, but to know each other in our troubles and help each other through them.

I think that is why we all keep stopping in. We remember how we felt and want others to know how to get through it too !

Past Member

Absolutely.

Newbies must be recruited and encouraged to ask what they fear to ask. No one will laugh at you here. No question is a stupid question. We have all been there.

Pros must be recruited to reply and reassure (and sometimes also learn!)

If only the site was more user-friendly lol!