A Word About Friends

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Jimrobb01

Just thought I would tell you a true story about the kind of support I get from my friends, I suppose most people have stories they could tell on this subject, I swear this is 100 true!

About a year after my surgery I started to notice my teeth were beginning to crumble, I read online somewhere that people who have had a large portion of their Bowel removed have this problem because the Bowel is the organ which absorbs Calcium from our food and so the teeth can weaken because of this. Now I have no idea if this is true or not, I have never asked my Dentist, but I suppose there could be some truth in it.

Anyway, I was having a good old bitching session to one of my mates about how much it was going to cost me to get my teeth fixed, a root canal and a couple of crowns.

"Cant you just buy some Calcium tablets from the Chemist?" he said, " I suppose so" I repied, "Well theres your answer then, buy some of those and stick them in the holes in your f*****g teeth" he said....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

That's what friends are for -- to be helpful in your times of need. Why go to the professionals when you can get advice like that for free?

One of the best medicines is laughter and it sounds as if your friend is giving you just that!

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ewesful

You sure can tell them --

In real time though, FAP can ;cause teeth to literally come loose and fall out and has nothing to do with the diet --

iMacG5

Hey Jim, thanks for sharing but I don't know what the big deal is.  I thought everybody knew that was the way to handle the f***** teeth problem.

Mike

Mrs.A

Geez, don't we need calcium for our bones too :(, where are you supposed to put the pills then......

nevermind.......................hehe.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
CH

Hello... I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure how to communicate with everyone just yet but I did have a question in regards to your post about irrigation?? I have all of the supplies to begin but I'm not sure if it's for me...I'm a good candidate for it but just afraid I will regret it since I do pretty well navigating through it now...any advice is appreciated..thanks!

Mrs.A

Hi CH,

Welcome to MAO. THis is a link to a thread started some time ago with some good information about irrigation from others who do. Hope it is helpful to you.

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1364

CH

Thank you so much!

Past Member

Hi. How do you deal ;with ;rejection? I've ;heard the various ;platitudes " he isn't ;worth it etc" but it still ;hurts. I'm ;grateful ;that ;my life was saved some twenty ;years ago but I'm ;still ;the same ;woman ;I was then but people ;can't ;see beyond ;the ;illiostomy.

Bill

Hello Bumblebee.

Just because they are platitudes doesn't make them wrong!  and those that make them are genuinely trying to guide you on a more productive emotional path.  Of course rejection hurts and the more emotional investment you had in a relationship the more it will hurt when you feel your are rejected.

It doesn't really matter what the reason for rejection is, it is usually the emotional outcome that matters most.

One of the most effective ways of managing emotions is by using 'logic'. Once you get the hang of that you might find that you will be realising your own ability to create your own platitudes.

When two people part because one has rejected the other, the truth is that they both lose something.Very often the person doing the rejecting does not know or value what they have lost, whereas the person rejected feels the loss of something precious to them.  They recognise that they had something worthwhile and the other party did not. This disparity enables the rejector to move on and look for something else  and leaves the rejected party feeling the loss and sometimes finding it hard to move on. However, it is those who have been rejected that stand a much better chance of finding a replacement or a substitute for their loss because it is them that recognise what it is they should be looking for.

Every year in my garden I mourn the loss of all those beautiful floweres I planted and nurtured during the spring and summer. During the bleak and rather depressing winter,  I contemplate what I liked and what could be made better next time round. Come the spring I have a good idea about what I will go for in the coming year and usually I'm not disappointed. Sometimes I try something completely new and occasionally that works better than things I already know and like.

I  often view my own life as just another form of the natural cycle of things that come and go, so it is perhaps easier for me to move on emotionally from some of the disappointments I have from one year to another.

I hope that in the next season, you too will be able to manage and control those more negative emotions and move towards recapturing some of the good feelings you engendered in the past - except this time you might try a different garden and a different type of plant to land upon and pollinate.

The Bumble bees I know and love come back every year with a new drive and ambition to do their thing in my garden and give me the greatest of pleasure when they do so. They also feel safe to nest nearby every year and obviously instinctively know that the environment in which they live is as  important as the individual plants  within it.

I hope you will be able to overcome the trauma of rejection and move forward to the new life that lies ahead without carrying too much emotional baggage from the past.

Best wishes

Bill

CH

Completely agree..you have to experience the whole batch of emotions! I know for me I had to say "goodbye" emotionally when I had my colostomy surgery..goodbye to the old way of life..you can't say "hello" to the new if you don't!

iMacG5

Hey Bill, the last several paragraphs of your reply to Bumblebee are rather profound to me.  I admire all your writings but can't always comment because I'm just too lazy or something like that.

You reference the "natural cycle of things that come and go".  Lots of folks can't look at life that way and rely on Devine intervention to fix stuff so they pray rather than work on changing things.  I'm not criticizing!  I pray; probably differently from most folks but I believe prayer can work.  I wonder if there's a difference between the natural cycle and the manipulated or adjusted turn of events.  I think just by understanding we can't change what happened and blaming someone or something won't make it any different, we can learn to adjust as you explained.  

I also agree platitudes are not necessarily wrong.  The word gets a bad rap because, usually, the recipient wants more. 

CH, I agree with you.  

The holes in the teeth was much easier to fix.

Mike

CH

I agree Mike..some people for whatever reason have to deal with their own stuff in their own way..and there is no way to know what another person is dealing with..it's a very personal thing and everyone has to take their own walk to reach their own path

Past Member

I've ;had several operations to remove sections of ;my bowel etc and after recovering ;I found myself ;to be so terribly ;tired and my body ached. After having blood tests ;I ;was told that it ;is ;not unusual ;for ;patients ;who under go this type of surgery to then suffer from pernicious anaemia which I ;now have. I am given B12 injections and take vitamin D calcium ;tablets ;which are prescribed by my GP. Yes my teeth did crumble a little and I ;thought I was going to be a toothless ;wonder but I am now pleasently ;suprised just how ;much difference ;the medication ;has made to my wellbeing.