Struggling With Pain And Depression Tonight

Replies
Views
Past Member

Debs69--I just finished reading your post. I am really sorry for your misery. I totally understand the anger and frustration of ending up with an ileostomy (and all the future ailments that go with it) when never suffering from UC, but instead as a result of medical intervention for another issue. I also ended up with a bag of sh** through medical intervention, treatment of a blood clot caused by a normally scheduled colonoscopy that we are all encouraged to have as a preventative measure. The situation went downhill so fast from there, from being given meds to which I am allergic (it was in my records) for a disease I did not have (also in my records from testing just the day before) to an improperly placed ivc filter which has damaged lymph nodes and caused permanent lymph edema in my leg, to a punctured rectal stump and split sphincter ring, precluding any resection, to putting me at risk for two different types of cancer to which I was NOT previously predisposed (rectal and lymph), to living the rest of my life looking forward to more surgery for either rectal stump removal to avoid cancer or perhaps hernias or perhaps to receive a BCIR. All it took was inaccuracy in reading records and an overzealous and interfering colorectal surgeon that I had never met stating IN MY RECORDS that he would perform an open abdominal total colectomy with end ileostomy days before we had ever even spoken!! The roller coaster of horrible events still makes me nauseous today if I allow it to. It took me awhile but I've decided to try hard to take on a new challenge in my life (yes my LIFE), even though I am one of those people who told my husband that I would never get over what had happened, I would never go through the normal stages of denial, grief and acceptance, and I would never forgive those who had done this to me. I told him I wanted to die and it should be my choice, and of course it is. I even told him that the wife he knew had already died and could not be resurrected! He told me "I want my wife back, old or new, I did not marry your body only, I married the whole of you". He is very wise and understanding and I am very lucky in that aspect. Then, I found this site and started reading. Not posting but absorbing everything I could about our LIVES, and the different trials and tribulations that we all go through. I have finally started posting, because I have decided that maybe I have something worthwhile to add.

I have created a website which is not quite up and running yet, called "thispatienthasrights" Legalities with the doctors, radiologist and the hospital involved in my care are attempting to quash it but I know through legal counsel that legally I have not overstepped any boundaries and eventually they will not have any say. They are just very powerful and are hoping I will lose interest (!!?!!) or go away. I believe that there is too often a lapse in medical data being imparted to the patient, nonfeasance at best, and this shortcoming in medical communities NEEDS to be addressed.

I have not overcome all of my fears and anxieties, as I still look at every person I come into contact with as someone who might want to hurt me. I am in no hurry to go out and about in the "real" world, although I know this will change because I have always loved to explore new places and so I am working on this shortcoming of mine. For many people anti-anxiety meds and anti-depression meds help tremendously, but I have many issues with drug allergies and I am attempting to keep a clear head and deal with things. I have undertaken writing a series of children's books, a total of 50 in the series to start, and I have completed the first 10 within the last 2 months (they are short obviously). When they are half done I will begin submitting them to publicists and hope they get picked up. I also have ideas for about a dozen or more that I am working on storyboards for. I am trying to stay positive, contributing, and interested in LIFE.

I am sorry for your depression and not being medically educated, I do not know if there is a solution for your physical issue of the inoperable hernia, but I do not believe that I would accept only a few doctors' determinations. That is part of what the website will be about. Have you spoken with a surgeon qualified in BCIR surgical procedures? Perhaps they might have a different outlook. Dr. Rehnke and his administrator Susan Kay of Palms of Pasadena Hospital in St Petersburg, Fla. are very willing and forthcoming with information, and there is a chat tonight Tuesday June 7, 2016 on the BCIR website that you could visit as a guest. Sometimes all we need is a little nudge to help us to remember that LIFE is really all there is, and we have lots to be grateful for; sunrises, sunsets, laughter, (and even sick humor), the freshness of a spring day, the warmth of summer, the crispness of fall, and even the sharp chilling cold of winter that reminds us we are ALIVE. I wish you a solution for your unhappiness, and I hope you know that everyone on this site is rooting for you. Most of all I wish you

Peace

Nancy

Rubyjack

Hi, I've had my bag now for 16 years. It does get me down sometimes, it's bound to, but think good thoughts. It just becomes a normal part of you in time. If you are having a lot of pain, go to the doctor and get it sorted. Don't put up with it. Take care. Luv xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Irjosh

Dagnabbit. Wow. I needed that. I'm extremely sad and fucking feeling sad for me. Fuck that. I'm over it. Or trying. Want to be normal again.

LadyHope

Hi Dadnabitt, I wanted to thank you for your thoughtful post. I really have nothing additional to add as I posted previously to this thread. We are all here together to help one another with our ostomy journey. Some days are hard and responses are so helpful and encouraging. Thank you again! Have a nice day. LH

Irjosh

Hi everybody. Update. Going in for CT scan and colonoscopy next week. Still hurting but not as bad. Doc says he wants to wait longer for reconstructive surgery. Been sick every morning and no one seems to know what's up with that. Norcos, I think.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
LadyHope

Good luck with your tests! Take care. LH

Irjosh

Thank you. Turns out it may be a few weeks. I can wait a little longer.

redtop

Hi there... No, sorry, but I didn't go back and read all the posts, but I just wanted to agree with you on the 'THIS SUCKS' statement.... I went from, 'yes, it was a tiny bit of cancer, we got it all' to 15 minutes later, 'oops, it is cancer, you will get chemo, radiation, surgery, more chemo and a bag for life'; that was Feb 5, 2015.... I think I was in denial for the past year, but now, it's all over (yeah, right) but the bag is here to stay... I don't want this... not even a little bit!! Yes... IT SUCKS.... Yeah, I'm alive, whoopdeshit..... But you know... you do what you gotta do.... you don't have to like it.... but you do it anyway... I guess that's figgin life.... right?

Bill

Hello redtop. That sounds about right.

Best wishes

Bill

Mrs.A

Yeah, it's life.....and if we do our best to get on with the things in life we do enjoy, the bag is just an inconvenience in the end.

LadyHope

Thank you, Mrs. A.... Wise words of wisdom and experience. Have a nice weekend. It is hot here in the Philadelphia area.

Mrs.A

Hi LadyHope,

Hope this week is not as busy as the one previous for you. I know it's hot in PA, but I'm trying to remind myself daily that winter will be here soon enough and we will all be in the house with the heat on trying to keep warm. I am glad to have so many seasons and although I don't particularly like the high humidity, I'll look back during the winter months and wish it was spring. One day we will be in that perfect temperature and never look back!

Stay cool and have a great weekend.

Irjosh

Still hurting. Not well. But. Not as bad. Getting better. Every shower gets better. I'm gonna be okay.

Irjosh

Still hurting. Not well. But. Not as bad. Getting better. Every shower gets better. I'm gonna be okay.

Bill

Sometimes hurt is slow to go but as long as you can recognise it as getting better, then things begin to feel more positive.

best wishes

Bill

Irjosh

Thanks Bill. I see you. I do appreciate all everybody here. I'm just being sorry for myself. I'll get over it.

Bill

Hello Irjosh. We all get like that sometimes and it is at those times when it seems to help to have someone who will listen and respond so hopefully you can get some of the support you need from the people here.

Best wishes

Bill

HarleyDoll

Thank you for that post. It's the only one that has made me cry. Not sure why but I think it has to do with how you expressed yourself and your wanting to be there for the ones you love. It's hard to be there for others when the heart wants to be there but the body betrays you. Anyways, thanks for the wonderful post.

Sorry, kind of new at this forum (kind of! lol) - just wanted to say that the above message was in response to LadyHope's post. Thank you LadyHope, you are appropriately named :)

Bill

Hello HarleyDoll. Thanks for your post as I was wondering which of Ladyhopes's posts you were referring to. I scrolled back and it was then obvious and I was really pleased to have been prompted to read it all over again.

Thanks also to Ladyhope for all her great posts.

Best wishes

Bill

Irjosh

I'm having a woe is me night. Just reading old posts. Crying. Everybody's so nice.

Past Member

It will get better. Beats being dead. Yeah, it does make us mad sometimes. High maintenance, etc. You are not alone. I got it made compared to some. It will get better. Nobody would want one, but it's called life.