Lump Near Ostomy Bag

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Madhope

I just had my surgery last Monday and I'm still in a lot of pain. I've noticed there is a huge lump where the ostomy bag is. Is that normal? How long is this pain going to last?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Madhope. Pain and swelling are 'normal' after surgery - Or so they told me. It usually takes about six weeks before things heal sufficiently to be able to tell whether these things are normal or need another look. In my case the lump was a peristomal hernia which, I now understand to be 'normal' in the sense that more people get one than don't. The human body is remarkably good at healing itself but it needs time. This requires the patient to have patience and hopefully all will turn out well in the end. (excuse the pun)

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Madhope

Thank you so much. I'm not even two weeks out of surgery. Just freaking out about the lump and the pain there. You were very helpful. This is a hard transition.