Rectal Discharge Post-ileostomy: Seeking Advice On New Symptoms

Replies
Views
Hermit

Having lots of rectal mucus; discharge 4 months after ileostomy. Just started!

Primeboy

Not uncommon here, Honest Abe. There have been numerous posts related to this topic over the years. This is mucus that lubricates the passage of waste through the remaining structures following surgery. Things are working normally except the back side of your pants shows embarrassing wet spots. Take a lesson from the ladies when their time of the month comes around. They use plugs, inserts, panty shields, and even moderate flow diapers. You may need to consider the same strategy. I rolled tissues and inserted them strategically where the sun doesn't shine. I have also packed cotton balls inside my anus to block the flow and changed them regularly. Shields and moderate flow incontinence underwear may be needed with greater flow. The discharge is not the problem, the wet pants are. Plan accordingly. Over the years, I have learned that my flow is primarily in my first few hours out of bed then minimizes. Good luck, and deal with this condition which is really normal but a nuisance.

PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

NJ Bain

Abe,

I agree with PB. The discharge is a nuisance, but it also lets you know that nothing bad is happening in that area. I only have the discharge once in a while, but when I do, I've been known to use women's panty shields to catch it as PB referred. It's not at all less manly to use these products. Plus, you won't get that wet spot in your pants or underwear.

I'm also trying to gauge what "lots" of discharge as far as amount goes. Are we talking a tablespoon or a pint? Just curious.

Bain

Hermit

Thanks for the info, Primeboy. I had my permanent ileostomy stoma a while back. Every once in a while, I would have a small discharge. Now, it's tough to go out in public. You're right about the wet pants. One thing after another. Chemo neuropathy, large mucus discharge, 2 PEs, and now a 5" prolapsed stoma. My spouse passed away during this time. It's hard to have another relationship with these problems. We appear to be about the same age. Anyway, thanks for the info and response.

Bill

I use incontinence pads but I also use a folded tissue because the pads do not always absorb the mucus quickly enough. Whereas the tissue absorbes it quickly and then the pad has a chance to work properly. As for quantity of mucus, sometimes its a lot and sometimes none at all and I have not figured out why this should be so.

Like PB and Bain I don't let it bother me and just get on with other things in  life

Best wishes

Bill 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Primeboy

Use whatever is required to effectively achieve the desired ends, and let your male inhibitions go on vacation. Remember "whatever it takes" to deal with this issue is "whatever it takes." Watch your quality of life meter hit the roof! Good post Honestabe. I hope we were able to help.

PB

Hermit

Yes, you were a big help. Thanks

vikinga

I sometimes fold up a tissue and put it in "the crack" during the night for peace of mind. I now no longer have red (blood-tainted) discharge. I have been doing something for the inflammation and it really seems to be working! Since no one really knows what causes UC other than inflammation, I did a LOT of reading and research to work on that. I have passed the info on to another Ileostomate and she is seeing similar results.

I drink a turmeric "latte" almost every morning first thing on an empty stomach and have been doing so for over 5 months. At first, I recommend doing this EVERY morning until you see the mucous discharge clear. Then most mornings, taking a good turmeric supplement the off days. You can also drink turmeric tea instead...made with fresh turmeric. Always go for the organic. If anyone is interested, I can post the recipe.

Side benefits are many...helps with depression, joint inflammation....all inflammation....and MUCH more. One article said it is THE most researched thing on the planet!

Hope this helps someone as it has me.

Hermit

Thanks again for the info. Would you mind posting the recipe for turmeric? I will try anything!

vikinga

Absolutely! This kind of help needs to be shared!

Turmeric Latte Recipe

This is what I drink first thing every morning on an empty stomach. I have actually experienced notable improvement by doing this and recommend it highly. That way I get a mega dose of turmeric and skip the capsules.

How to Do It – Turmeric Latte
It's quick and easy to make, save for an upfront 10-minute prep of turmeric paste.

Combine 2 cups of water with 1 cup of ground organic turmeric in a saucepan and heat on low for about 7 minutes, stirring to keep it from burning and adding more water (up to 1 additional cup) if it becomes too dry. I usually am able to not add more. You want the paste to be thick.

Remove from heat and stir in 2/3 cup of unrefined organic coconut oil (I use coconut) or extra virgin olive oil, and 1 tsp of ground organic black pepper.
At this point, I also add 1 tsp organic ginger, 1 tsp organic cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp organic clove and 1/2 tsp organic cardamom. Mix really well. Store this in a glass container in the fridge.

In the morning, put one teaspoon to one tablespoon of paste in a mug (I actually use close to 2 tablespoons now), add a teaspoon or two of organic raw honey and a 1/2 tsp of organic coconut butter to about a 1/3 cup of almond, coconut, or hemp milk. Fill the rest of the mug with boiling water – and stir well! It tastes great!

Please note: This will not eliminate your normal mucus discharge, but it will (in my experience) eliminate the bloody aspect that signifies inflammation. My normal discharge is now a clear to slightly beige tinge and has become less as well. I think that has to do with less inflammation as well.

Also, best to use ORGANIC as much as possible. You want to put the cleanest ingredients into your system. Many of these ingredients I buy in bulk through Vitacost or Amazon online.

Be well, be happy! :)

iMacG5

Lots of good advice offered here.  I handle the nuisance with cotton balls.  There are probably simpler ways but I'll continue with my current method.  I use 70 count and 100 count cotton balls.  I unroll one of each, lay one on top of the other and fold them over twice to make a pad about 3 inches long and about 3/4 in thick.  That "package" goes between the cheeks and absorbs what it has to all day.  I replace it at bedtime before showering.  In the morning I discard the pad and clean the area with Aloe Vesta perineal/skin cleanser and apply a clean "package".  It's annoying but it seems to work well.  

If this is difficult to understand, please let me know and I'll try to make more sense of it.

Mike

iMacG5

Hi Bain.  The quantity I'm dealing with is probably between a teaspoon and a tablespoon.  We can discuss color, when it all started, when it got better and anything related.  It's an issue that should be addressed appropriately. 

Just a side note..... I never thought my education or life experience would qualify me to advertise how I stuff cotton balls up my butt.  Hope this helps because nothing about it is comfortable.

Mike

Bill

Hello Mike. Thank you very much for the image you conjoured up in my mind of a professor of cotton butt-balls projecting his theories onto an enthusiastic group of students. I just love the concept, which has brought a smile to my face and a warm  feeling in my heart. You deserve the 'professor' accolade for your research, analysis and presentation of your theory. Congratualtions!

Best wishes

Bill

NJ Bain

iMacG5,

I have about the same quantity. Most of the time, the discharge is clear but occasionally I'll have some brown semi-solid goo come out too. Basically just old blood. But I usually only experience discharge when I'm stressed about something.

I was talking to Abe about how I can feel it coming on almost like having the urge to have a movement and most of the time, I can get to a toilet and push it out. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Discharge talk aside, I hope everyone here has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Bain

iMacG5

Bill, you made my day!  If anyone can get a smile and a warm feeling in one's heart from me stuffing cotton balls up my butt, my life, then, has purpose.  Thank you kind Sir.

Mike 

moonshine

Damn... I wish I could pass the mucosis... I could not pass anything (stool) = guess that's why I have an ileostomy

Hermit

Hi, be like me and discharge so much, you can't go public!

SLCguy

Tissues and panty liners have helped me too. But I haven't found a solution for occasional odor from the mucus. Any suggestions?

iMacG5

Hey Guy, I'm not sure we discussed odor or surrounding skin protection.  My understanding is odor suggests infection.  It's just what I've been told and it makes sense to get it checked out.

Zinc Oxide ointment or cream seem so do a good job protecting the skin.

Please keep us posted,

Mike

Bill

Hello SLCguy.

I used to have similar problems prior to having a stoma and can say that having the stoma did not stop the problems with anal mucus straight away.

What I found useful in those far off days was using an anal plug after irrigation. These were like a small suppository but opened up like an inverted mushroom when they got wet inside. They tended to hold everything in (including the odour)  until it was convenient to sort it all out again in the relative comfort of a toilet.

It's been so long ago since I used them that I cannot remember who makes them but I think it was Coloplast. It wold be listed on their website.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Bill

Katerina.kits

Hi everyone,

All these comments are great. I had a panproctocolectomy and J pouch surgery 4 months ago, recovery has been very slow but I've recently started going back to work for the mornings only. My reversal hasn't been done yet so I still have my ileo bag. However, the last week or so I have had quite a lot of rectal discharge, it has no odor and no real color to it but I'm just wondering why it's so often now? Before I might only get it for a couple of days and that would be it but this has started and won't stop. During the day it's okay because I can feel it and hold it in or go to the toilet to pass it, but at night I wake up wet where I don't realize it's happened. :( It's so embarrassing to even say this...let alone if anyone was to notice while I'm asleep.

iMacG5

Hi Katerina.  If you read all the posts you see there's no pattern to the quantity, frequency, color, etc.  I think most of us don't rely on our ability to  hold it in.  We experiment as we've expressed here with different appliances or just stuff to eliminate soiling and, above all, embarrassment.  If you learn any more about it we would certainly be interested.

Mike

Hot for teacher

Rectal leakage vs stump removal leakage:

I had my rectum removed in '12 at the same time as my ileostomy. The surgery did not go well and I had reconstructive surgery to close the removed stump area.

Many weeks of wound vac helped to close the incision but it left 2 small openings. (1 1/2 cm each). Over the last 4 years, the area has drained and bled due to overactive movement. I do not want to go through another procedure to close this because the surgeons talk of completely opening the area to remove scar tissue. They think the buildup is preventing complete closure. Major issue: the drainage irritates my skin and leaves a horrible rash. I use cotton gauze pads for packing the area. Panty liners do not work because the drainage attacks the skin before reaching the liner. My question is...anyone experience this and what has been successful for you?

I love the input and humor so many of you provide. Thanks for making this a great place to vent and seek guidance.

With appreciation,

Dena

iMacG5

Hi Dena.  We need to use the CDP method.  I made that up.  It stands for "Clean, Dry and Protect".  When we can't clean the area with soap and water, we need to use something like Aloe Vesta perineal/skin cleanser foam.  After patting the skin dry we need to protect it with something like zinc oxide cream or ointment.  I recommend 40% concentration and it's available for less than $3 at Walmart.  Then we need to cover the area with something absorbant and that requires experimenting.  If we use too much cotton it will be very uncomfortable.  Not enough and we'll stain.  2" by 2" cotton squares might be OK but we might need three of them or some combination of the squares and cotton.  Mainly, we need to heal the damaged skin.  We need to be gentle and use stuff that's not too agressive.  It's a learning process I never wanted but, you know, "Necessity is the mother of invention".  We discover what's best for us.

Good luck,

Mike

Rosyred

Hi, I'm new on here. I'm in the UK and had my ileo in 2010. I started having mucus discharge a few years later, not all the time. A couple of months ago, I started having a more 'poop' type discharge sometimes. My surgeon says it can happen. I hate it, especially with leakage. I use pads for protection. My muscles are shot, so I can't stop leakage. I feel so embarrassed talking about it. My doctor gave me some micro enemas to get rid of the backlog I'm told builds up. It works for a couple of days. Sometimes it just leaks mucus. Does anyone else have this problem? I can cope with mucus; it's the rest I find hard. I'm not sure if an op is the only answer. I have half a rectum left. Thanks, Ruby

iMacG5

Hi Rosyred.  Thanks for sharing and please don't feel embarrassed.  Lots of us had and may still have similar experiences.  I've heard about the "poop" type discharge before but still don't understand it.  Before I opted for another surgery, I would ask, just as you are doing, all the questions and I think you'll get answers that will help.

Please keep in touch.

Mike

Margaret Hampson

Hi. I'm Sue. I've been reading the posts related to rectal discharge. It's horrible and smells nasty. Sometimes the mucus is brownish or smeared with blood. When it accumulates, it feels like my anus is blocked up and I have to try and push it out. I have tried all the methods mentioned on this subject which do help regarding wet pants. My latest trial is putting suppositories up there! You need a pad on your pants and it's a bit painful when you insert the suppository (but then I don't like inflicting pain on myself). On the other hand, it does work and gets rid of the mucus.

Shanbi220

Hello Vikinga would love to have received. I've seen several but haven't made up a batch yet. Also want to try Ketogenic to help with inflammation which I believe contributes to any tainted discharge.

Thanks!

Shanbi

Shanbi220

Hello osteomates!

Haven't been on this site in a while but just happened to come across this thread which has also been an issue for me. Embarrassing for sure at times, especially if at the gym and working out. My solution after trying tissue paper or T.P. which disintegrates and has too many chemicals. Not healthy! I like using sterile gauze pads. 4 x 4 with a weave so they are textured. I get a box of 10 for another $2.50 and each pad is packaged separately. I cut them into 4 on the folds and "tuck" into you know where. So much better than tissue. It absorbs but doesn't fall apart and it's sterile.

Once the gauze pad is full, you'll know because it puts a little pressure on the nerves back there and gives me the feeling that I have to go. I change these 2 - 3 times a day. For even more protection, I'll wear an extra long ultra thin pad. It gives me peace of mind and keeps things dryer. My surgeon told me that sometimes there will be bleeding, at which point you should tell your doctor because it could be the cancer returning.

And it's still possible for stool to be passed through, which I haven't experienced. Occasionally, a sulfur odor, so I don't worry about it too much. Probably depends on what you're eating. I know this is an old thread and thought I'd throw in my two cents...

bluerose157

Hi! I haven't posted in a while. I have an ileostomy, done in Sept/16. At the time, the surgeon told me I should do an enema about once a month. Cleans out whatever builds up in there, i.e., dead tissue. About a year ago, I hadn't done an enema for almost 6 weeks; my wife and I went to see a movie. Get up and could feel the wetness; was very wet (luckily had dark pants on). Since then I do an enema about every 3-4 weeks; seems to keep it under control for me. It's not the greatest doing a self-enema, but to me better than the unexpected discharge.

Since I do not use the full contents of the bottle at one time, the pharmacist told me not to use the bottle a second time.